Mixed Auction League

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
Macca11
Major League Regular
Preferred Style: Mixed 5x5 redraft.

Mixed Auction League

#1 Post by Macca11 »

Fascinating article by Todd - as usual - on auction tiers strategy. But in limiting the discussion to AL and NL only I'm still searching for an outline plan for my 14-team auction at the end of this month - if such a thing exists.
Usual 5x5 rules, but with an extra middle infielder, 3 bench, 2 UT and a DL slot - 4 SP, 4 RP 2P.
I've only done a couple of auctions previoulsy (snake drafts before that) and have had no budget plan whatsoever. Winging it is fun, but a bit scary. I wonder if I had to have a “skeleton” approximate value plan for players, what Todd would suggest as a starting point?
One other quirk of our auction is that – as it is the top division of four and there is promotion and relegation between divisions – there is not the same 14 teams each year, so tendencies and patterns are much more difficult to predict among the players as they change annually.
The auction strategy already on the boards is fascinating stuff. But Todd's article is the only one I've seen where an approximate value for players is worked out beforehand. Does anyone else do this?
OK, that's two questions now so I'll wait before posing a third!

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Mixed Auction League

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

It is "easy" to customize values for your league, we have a tool that can do it for our Platinum members.

Then the key to realize it is just a guide, perhaps best used foe relative ranking as opposed to absolute ranking, especially in a 14 team mixed league. The piece I am going to write for Tuesday will explain why, even though the examples will again be AL and NL only.

In mixed leagues, the top players ALWAYS go for more than book value so that is the first thing. Be prepared to bid higher for the stars. The reason is (this will be really discussed in the piece) is we all value the lower third of the pool differently. I will get an $8 guy for $2. You will pay $7 for a guy I would not even bid on. This is the nature of the shallower leagues. So it behooves one to build a solid foundation with star players.

In fact, in a mixed league, my strategy would revolve around spending what it took to get a pitching staff I wanted, then put the rest to hitting. The season starts too quickly - too many ideas, not enough time to write about them.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

rotonut

#3 Post by rotonut »

Todd Zola wrote:In fact, in a mixed league, my strategy would revolve around spending what it took to get a pitching staff I wanted, then put the rest to hitting.
This is so in contrast with mainstream thinking where a great deal of the budget is thrown an hitting. I actually have had my most successful season bidding heavy on hitting, buying a pitching anchor, and filling in with upside starters. I know you'll say that it's difficult to find pitching cheap (because you'll get cheap pitching). In a local league, however, I still think this strategy is sound. The more studied the competition, the more difficult this will be to employ since those "bargain" starters won't likely be so cheap.

I'm just curious, how much of your budget are you talking about to hit that magic 26?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

I was pretty vague, I didn't say HOW MUCH I would spend :lol:

My point is in mixed leagues, I am not so concerned with absolute rankings. I know what I want my staff to look like and I aim to do it as cheaply as possible. But just as you cannot get 5th round value with a 14th round pick, you can also no longer buy $17 worth of value with $7.

Because a pitching staff is only 9 players, it is easier to "ground" that and play off of it.

But the key is I am still looking for the undervalued gems, but so are more other people so I may have to pay a little more to get the arms I need.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

rotonut

#5 Post by rotonut »

You sly dog, you 8-)