Clay Buchholz??

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
freddiebeach
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: 5x5 roto

Clay Buchholz??

#1 Post by freddiebeach »

As we all know the BoSox have been active this winter signing additional pitchers. Where does this Buchholz? I was thinking his break out would be in a year or two but now I am thinking it is more like 2 to 3 or more with all the pitchers that are currently ahead of him? What is everyone else's thoughts on Clay and when he'll be making a real fantasy impact.
Tim Comeau
Mactaquac Marauders

rotodog

Re: Clay Buchholz??

#2 Post by rotodog »

freddiebeach wrote:As we all know the BoSox have been active this winter signing additional pitchers. Where does this Buchholz? I was thinking his break out would be in a year or two but now I am thinking it is more like 2 to 3 or more with all the pitchers that are currently ahead of him? What is everyone else's thoughts on Clay and when he'll be making a real fantasy impact.
I live in Massachusetts and hear Sox discussion a lot. This is simpy observation on my part, but I do not think Clays breakout will happen in a SOX uniform for some reason. Teams have asked about Clay in trade when it involved players that the RED Sox didnt need and the SOX have said CLAY is off limits. Do not ask. Remember when Hansen was off limits too? Well, Clay is better than hansen, but I see them trying to Build value by denying Clay in trade talks like he is untouchable. When the right player or offer comes around, Clay will be gone.

The Sox simply have a System full of Arms and players. This is great if you are Pittsburgh, but Boston has money to spend and only so much room at the MLB level. They keep the best, trade for the rest and offer big for certain FA players. No room for all the CLAYS to get a chance. Remember Decent players like David murphy and Brandon Moss..No room. They also trade some immature SS named Hanley once...How did that turn out?

I also see the same thing on the face of Clay as I saw in Craig Hansen. Deer in the headlights! Clay tossed a no-no and just threw what was called and on cloud nine..Hs stuff is Super freaky good when confident as he was that night, but once the book is out on you, MLB players will wait and adjust and he lost it......He can get it back, but sadly, it will not be in a Sox Uni in my opinion.....

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

Buchholz is 24, he will be 25 in August, he's really no longer a young prospect. Chances are he will have a chance this season to show if he has honed his control, which is his Achilles heel. The BoSox are not counting on Smoltz to start the season, they want him fresh for the stretch and the playoffs if they make it. Penny is no sure thing at all to stay healthy, chances are if Buchholz shows anything, he'll get first crack at Penny's spot if Smoltz is not ready. Also keep in mind that even though Wakefield "only" throws a knuckler, he is 42, has had shoulder issues the past 2 seasons and a rib injury in 2006.

He is also trade bait as rotodog suggests.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

freddiebeach
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: 5x5 roto

#4 Post by freddiebeach »

Appreciate the further insight rotodog and Todd.
Tim Comeau
Mactaquac Marauders