Opinions on these question marks for this weekend's draft

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
CaptainTrunk

Opinions on these question marks for this weekend's draft

#1 Post by CaptainTrunk »

What's the feeling on some of the guys who have been question marks? My draft's pretty early this year. I'd like to know opinions, gut feelings, whatever, on the following:

Justin Morneau
Carlos Beltran
Chase Utley
Jesus Montero (playing time?)
Brandon Webb
Stephen Strasburg (my league only allows you to keep someone if they play. So I'd have to hold onto Strasburg the whole year and hope he gets an inning in September)
Kendry Morales
Zack Greinke (miss a few starts? Are broken ribs the kind of thing that can mess you up after you return?)
Domonic Brown (I think that broken hamate bones sap power for several months, no?)

AllstonRockCity

Re: Opinions on these question marks for this weekend's draft

#2 Post by AllstonRockCity »

CaptainTrunk wrote:What's the feeling on some of the guys who have been question marks? My draft's pretty early this year. I'd like to know opinions, gut feelings, whatever, on the following:

Justin Morneau I would be comfortable taking him right around where DeansDaddy in the Mock Draft
Carlos Beltran deep discount only, SBs are a thing of the past
Chase Utley surgery now on the table, once 2B gets down to Weeks/Prado/Roberts etc. I'd jump
Jesus Montero (playing time?) Cervelli figures to miss some time, after that, who knows?
Brandon Webb as a late round flyer, sure, why not? just don't count on him, he's gravy
Stephen Strasburg (my league only allows you to keep someone if they play. So I'd have to hold onto Strasburg the whole year and hope he gets an inning in September)
I wouldn't bother, no guarantee he gets that inning, or is the same guy in 2012
Kendry Morales pretend he never broke his leg, dark horse MVP candidate, seriously
Zack Greinke (miss a few starts? Are broken ribs the kind of thing that can mess you up after you return?)
he broke it months ago, so it can't be that bad, I'd be happy with the buying opportunity this news provides
Domonic Brown (I think that broken hamate bones sap power for several months, no?) yes they do. so now, he's a rookie coming off an injury that saps power, there are better options, but in a keeper league, the discount for this year could be quite valuable next year, toughest call on the list IMHO

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

I'll quickly add..

I'm passing on Morneau.

I am not touching Beltran.

While I agree in principle with Morales, I can't totally ignore the fact he is still not ready. When he comes back, I think he is the most likely to perform just fine, but we don't know if it is for the full 162. So I take him at the associated discount.

No thanks on Webb.

Greinke is tough, but if the discount is enough, then yeah, I take him.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

CaptainTrunk wrote:What's the feeling on some of the guys who have been question marks? My draft's pretty early this year. I'd like to know opinions, gut feelings, whatever, on the following:

Justin Morneau
Carlos Beltran
Chase Utley
Jesus Montero (playing time?)
Brandon Webb
Kendry Morales
Domonic Brown (I think that broken hamate bones sap power for several months, no?)
my views today.....
Morneau - I am very leery of the concussions, so I wouldn't roster him unless the round/price were at a significant discount AND I could easily sub in someone for him
Beltran - I will take my chances in the middle rounds of deep drafts
Utley - not touching this at all (well sure low enought but that prob won't happen)
Montero - will likely not get enough AB for redraft league; I would jump all over him if he was available in a keeper league
Webb - look for my notes on him on Monday
Strasburg will make a few appearances in September if all goes well
Morales - love me some Kendrys
Greinke - love the potential but those types of injuries can linger so need a discount