Points or position scarcity?

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
Boye

Points or position scarcity?

#1 Post by Boye »

The big money league I am in is a 12 team total points league. Scoring is as follows:

Hitting: 1b= 1, 2b=2, 3b=3, HR=5, RBI=1, R=1, BB=1, SB=2, HBP=1,
CS=(-2), K=(-1), E(-1)

Pitching: W=10, IN=2, K=1, SV=7,CG=5,SO=5
BB=(-1), HA=(-0.5), R=(-1), L=(-5), BS=(-7)

Roster: C,1B,2B,SS,3b,3OF,2DH, 5SP, 2CL 9 bench spots(do not score unless active)

I have the number 2 pick in the draft, number one is taking Pujols. My question is it crazy to take Halladay at number 2? I do not want to take a pitcher but with our scoring system this is what top players looked like:

Pitchers: Doc 751, Wainwright 652, Felix 611
Hitters: Pujols 672, Bautista 639, Cabrera 600

I am thinking I am crazy to take a pitcher but if I take Hanley or Tulo there the point differential is huge, Tulo was 461 last year. Am I over thinking this and should take the shortstop at the scarce position or do I go for the points take the top pitcher by far and then build up the offense? Just wondering what other people think with the scoring system and all.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Points or position scarcity?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Points leagues "do the work for you."

You DO NOT want to focus on the raw points each player scores. You instead want to figure out the LAST player drafted at each position and SUBTRACT that from everyone at that position, and then re-rank based on the ADJUSTED points.

If the LAST pitcher drafted scores 100 and the last hitter is 50, that makes the point totals easier to compare. Though, it should be done via positions.

The thing about this scoring system is Halladay is one of the few pitchers to get CG and SO, which separates them from the pack.

If you think Doc will continue to complete games and occasionally shut out the opposition, then he is easily justified at #2.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Boye

#3 Post by Boye »

When breaking down a point system like this into tiers what do you think is the point drop off to start another tier at? I want to tier out all the positions and am wondering the best way to go about it.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Boye wrote:When breaking down a point system like this into tiers what do you think is the point drop off to start another tier at? I want to tier out all the positions and am wondering the best way to go about it.
I think it's pretty arbitrary actually. I'm not sure tiers are as relevant in a points league. One of the nuances of roto scoring is the conversion of projection into value/ranking. In points leagues, it is straightforward -- points. My focus would be more on trying to figure out the strategy of the other drafter, knowing YOU are valuing players properly (with the caveat that projections are just that, projections.)

That is, if people seem to be overdrafting scarcity or overdrafting [itching die to the scoring, I would pounce on the outfielders and 1B left behind.

But, if you are more comfortable with tiers, I'd look to make maybe 6 tiers and make the breaks accordingly.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord