Depth Charts

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
momige
Major Leaguer

Depth Charts

#1 Post by momige »

Any chance you can produce depth charts like years past?

Thanks

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Depth Charts

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Depth charts are available is so many places that we prefer to put our time elsewhere. The playing time we assign in projections tells you what you need to know with respect to where we think the regulars and backups are.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

momige
Major Leaguer

#3 Post by momige »

I have looked at CBS and ESPN, and see a lot of discrepancies. Is there a site you recommend?

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#4 Post by viper »

Not a recommendation here but a thought.

Right now I am using the FREE Rotoworld depth charts. Not totally comfortable with them but they are OK. This weekend I will be making a spreadsheet using the Rotoworld "guesses". I then compare ABs from here against that sheet to get all the players with substantial playing time. The main thing is I will be reading here and Rotoworld and BBHQ and seeing where differences are. Starting rotations are already being determined, at least through the first 4 spots. Most platoon situations are known. Once I have a list, I will know where I should be looking at more closely. Also, I can identify players like Greinke, Utley, among many others, who will have "replacements" required for the first few weeks of the season.

For me, my first draft is 25th so I have time. Also, all my league are benchless, with other rules limiting selections to players who are on the 25-man roster, so guys like Moustakas are not even in my draft lists.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

momige wrote:I have looked at CBS and ESPN, and see a lot of discrepancies. Is there a site you recommend?
The work they do at www.mlbdepthcharts.com is insanely well done. You may have to navigate around, I don't know if they have a one-sheet deal, but the information is as up to date as anything I have found.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Todd Zola wrote:
momige wrote:I have looked at CBS and ESPN, and see a lot of discrepancies. Is there a site you recommend?
The work they do at http://www.mlbdepthcharts.com is insanely well done. You may have to navigate around, I don't know if they have a one-sheet deal, but the information is as up to date as anything I have found.
Seconded. You can download from Google Docs.

But you brought up a point about discrepancies that I feel needs to be expanded. It is tough to track depth charts this time of year because of three things, IMHO:
  • Players who will start the season on the DL
  • Players who are in camp as non roster invitees who you just KNOW are going to make the team (i.e., Jason Giambi)
  • Back of the rotation pitchers whose services, due to scheduling, will not be needed until after opening day.
This may be where some of these discrepancies come into play. MLB used to have a separate tab on their roster page about the names of the non roster invitees, but I see it's gone - was very helpful to track guys like Scotty Pods in Toronto.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

momige
Major Leaguer

#7 Post by momige »

Thanks for all the suggestions. My primary reason for the depth charts is to determine the picking order for bullpens. Closers are easy, but I try to estimate primary set-up man, 2nd in line, etc. The pecking order is not always alligned with innings. I realize this is highly speculative at this point until roles are established.

AllstonRockCity

#8 Post by AllstonRockCity »

I'm sure Todd will point out if I am wrong, but I have always used MB dollar values to help establish the pecking order. I figure if they are projecting a whole bullpen, then the guys with the highest $$ value should pitch in the most high leverage situations. The guys with the -$ values, would be the mop-up types. If everyone's depth chart has Player X as the setup man, but he's projected to earn say -$2, then I don't care what depth charts say, I don't want that guy. I want the guy projected to earn positive value and I just assume that he will pitch his way up the pecking order as the season progresses.

I feel that this works most of the time. There are always those managers who are committed to a guy in a certain role regardless of how good or bad that pitcher is (Kevin Gregg in CHI for example), but those are the exceptions that prove the rule.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Todd Zola »

There are quite a few places that cover bullpens. Once I find one that I really trust, we will link it from the front page. Presently, we link the report from out buddies at KFFL. Until the games count, it is difficult to figure out some of the team's 8th inning setup in close games guy.