MB'09 - Clayton Kershaw

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
uharchmajor

MB'09 - Clayton Kershaw

#1 Post by uharchmajor »

This question is more because I have Kershaw as a keeper for the next 4 seasons.

1. Thoughts on Kershaw's 09 season? I've seen him everywhere from $1 (Mixed 12team - this site) up to $12.
2. Do you think he makes the jump to a front line fantasy pitcher by 2010? I know Bod has him listed in the 2nd Tier (#14 overall) so he seems a believer. Anybody else on the same page?

Before I read MB's projections, I had him down for
175ip, 10w, 8l, 165K, 4.10 ERA, and a WHIP around 1.35. Of course next year, I'm seeing a top 15 pitcher similar to Bod's thinking.

uharchmajor

Re: MB'09 - Clayton Kershaw

#2 Post by uharchmajor »

Anybody have any thoughts on this guy?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: MB'09 - Clayton Kershaw

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

My guess is no one had any thought because everyone has the same thought and no one "knows" the answer.

Kershaw is as talented as they come, only 20 years old, touted the top pitching prospect in all of baseball, he strikes out a ton BUT he also walks a ton.

If he hones his control we have a perennial Cy Young candidate.

If he doesn't we have Victor Zambrano.

In between we have Scott Kazmir, hopefully without the injury risk if he improves it a little or Felix Hernandez if he improves it, but not quite enough to make him elite, which by the way could still happen with The King.

So with Kershaw, it is not a question of figuring out what he has to do, but guessing whether he will do it. There is a plethora of data available, someone more adept at reading the tea leaves than I can probably pinpoint exactly what pitches he needs to control better, but even then, it will still be speculation whether he does it.

Watching the guy and talking to scouts, I am inclined to believe he does it. I just don't know if the time-line will be gradual over a couple of years or one season, BANG, the light goes on. Though anecdotally, Clay Buchholz was messed up a bit with some fiddling with his mechanics, he was mentioned in the same breath as Kershaw and he has struggled honing his control.

My GUESS is a little improvement this season and a big jump in either 2010 or 2011.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord