AL only- keep Ka aihue at $9?

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
whammer
Major League Regular

AL only- keep Ka aihue at $9?

#1 Post by whammer »

AL 4x4 -25%inflation- I have ka aihue at $9- keepers due on Sunday- looking at the MB projection of $14 looks like I should keep. Would you keep at $9?

Thoughts appreciated
Last edited by whammer on March 3rd, 2011, 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: AL only- keep Ka aihue at $9?

#2 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I'd keep because there really isn't any one in KC who would take DH ABs from him as there have been in the past - so, if he produces, he'll get every chance to stick.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Trav The Ump

#3 Post by Trav The Ump »

Honestly, I'm not sure I see it. If he gets off to a slow start he has two guys chasing him down. Moustakas and Hosmer. Butler is going nowhere. Betemit is in the DH mix. I know the minor league stats but he's not a super young guy anymore. I suppose its now or never. But I see more Wily Mo Pena at this time than David Ortiz...

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Hosmer is not in the mix yet though Moustakas could bully his way in at DH to get acclimated.

I know the analogy was not meant to be taken literally, but Ka'aihue has outstanding plate discipline which was never part of Pena's game and what gives him a chance to make it.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Trav The Ump wrote:Honestly, I'm not sure I see it. If he gets off to a slow start he has two guys chasing him down. Moustakas and Hosmer. Butler is going nowhere. Betemit is in the DH mix. I know the minor league stats but he's not a super young guy anymore. I suppose its now or never. But I see more Wily Mo Pena at this time than David Ortiz...
And to be honest, Trav ...no, he doesn't ...at least not soon. There is no reason for KC to bring up either of these guys until after the Super II deadline has passed at the end of may - so Ka'aihue gets almost two months of uninterrupted ABs assuming he stays healthy and produces - but the opportunity will be there for him.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.

Captain Hook

#6 Post by Captain Hook »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:
Trav The Ump wrote:Honestly, I'm not sure I see it. If he gets off to a slow start he has two guys chasing him down. Moustakas and Hosmer. Butler is going nowhere. Betemit is in the DH mix. I know the minor league stats but he's not a super young guy anymore. I suppose its now or never. But I see more Wily Mo Pena at this time than David Ortiz...
And to be honest, Trav ...no, he doesn't ...at least not soon. There is no reason for KC to bring up either of these guys until after the Super II deadline has passed at the end of may - so Ka'aihue gets almost two months of uninterrupted ABs assuming he stays healthy and produces - but the opportunity will be there for him.
kid I disagree just a little since Moustakas has a chance to make the club at 3B, AND if the Royals management wanted one of the Kid Studs to start early it would be Moose.

BUT whammer - I would still freeze him at $9....BUT need to have a Plan B for later in the season if things don't go well

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Captain Hook wrote:kid I disagree just a little since Moustakas has a chance to make the club at 3B, AND if the Royals management wanted one of the Kid Studs to start early it would be Moose.
Spice of life, Perry. Given KC's management history and the tight way they grip a quarter in many cases, I think they stick with the much rumored 2014 plan and Moose gets a call up in June.

Spread da wealth
Major League Veteran

#8 Post by Spread da wealth »

How many teams are in your league? Depending on the size of the league, you might be relatively sure of getting him back at under $9.

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#9 Post by CubFan »

While management here in KC say Moose and Hosmer could force their way onto the club with a great Spring, reality is they won't....partly for what kid says (Glass is being tight with the money, why else when he saved $12 million when Meche retired and did nothing with it.....he's storing up his money chest for a rainy day) and also they have made no bones that they relish the idea of bringing up a slug of them all at once. This is do or die for Moore and figures if he can throw enough of them at the wall at once a number of them will stick and the fan base will soon forget those that don't. They made huge gaffs in bringing up guys one at a time like Butler and Gordon and putting so much hype and pressure on them that they don't intend on doing that this time.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

CubFan wrote:While management here in KC say Moose and Hosmer could force their way onto the club with a great Spring, reality is they won't....partly for what kid says (Glass is being tight with the money, why else when he saved $12 million when Meche retired and did nothing with it.....he's storing up his money chest for a rainy day) and also they have made no bones that they relish the idea of bringing up a slug of them all at once. This is do or die for Moore and figures if he can throw enough of them at the wall at once a number of them will stick and the fan base will soon forget those that don't. They made huge gaffs in bringing up guys one at a time like Butler and Gordon and putting so much hype and pressure on them that they don't intend on doing that this time.
If you think the $12 million for Meche was something, CubFan ...did you see this tidbit from Bill Madden in the NY Daily News from 11/14/10?
It appears everything is still up to date in Kansas City, where the Royals continue their decades' long practice of trading off their best players right before they reach free agency for little return. The latest is outfielder David DeJesus, whom the Royals shipped to the Oakland A's last week for two dubious pitchers Vin Mazzaro, who was demoted by the A's to Triple-A last season, and Justin Marks, who was 3-12 with a 4.27 ERA in A-ball. Interesting because a year ago, when the Yankees inquired about DeJesus, K.C. was asking for top prospect Jesus Montero plus. The Royals cite a savings of $5 million in the deal while also noting that DeJesus was probably going to cost $20-25 million to keep longterm. What they don't tell their disilluisioned fan base is that they got a check for $32 million in revenue sharing this year.
So if the Moose doesn't make the team out of spring training ... but gets a sudden call up in June - and production from 3B is about what could have been expected from the current batch of suspects - looks like $49 mil in realized "revenue" and $20-25 mil in cost avoidance. Not a bad haul - may not have to keep the stores open 24 hours after all.

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#11 Post by CubFan »

While Moore will claim they did open the wallets and sign Greinke for a good chunk of change they continue to repeat the same mistakes as in the past when trading away productive players for those of questionable ability, just as you cited kid. I can already write the script of what will happen when all of these high impact rookies come up. They will be traded away when their FA years arrive. They have a small window coming up to make the playoffs. 2012-2014 will be do or die for Moore. Local sports writers and radio talk show hosts are willing to give the Royals a pass this year. But they will take Moore to task come 2012-2014 if they don't take huge strides. Tic toc.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

special k
Major League Veteran

#12 Post by special k »

I am in AL-Only 5x5 and am protecting Kila for $2. But I wouldn't do it for $9. The risk/reward isn't there, too much uncertainty with the prospects looming, Betemit hanging around if Kila starts slow, and KC's long-established tendency to screw up. A potential $5 return is not enough to risk $9 in this case, IMHO. I'm with spreaddamoney, try to get him cheaper.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Todd Zola »

Point of reference -- I know it is just 1 data point and nothing more, but Ka'aihue went for 12 in LABR last night.

It isn't just the potential risk/reward for Ka'aihue, but what else you can buy with that money as well as the player you will use at 1B/CI in his stead and what will he cost? Corner in only leagues is nowhere as deep as it used to be. In LABR, I counted at least 3 teams with a CI that won't even be in the league opening day.

Who else can you get to play 1B and what will he cost?
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

whammer
Major League Regular

#14 Post by whammer »

Todd

That is the problem I'm facing, the corners are thin this year - Gonzo, Tex, Dunn, are available and will go for big $, then dropoff to Kila and Laporta and that's it. No one else playable after that. While $9 is not ideal, my thinking is at least he is playing and will get at least 2 month audition... if I toss back best case I get him for $7 - worst case is he goes for $15 and I have no corner . Don't love to freeze at $9, but I'm going to do it.

AllstonRockCity

#15 Post by AllstonRockCity »

whammer wrote:Todd

That is the problem I'm facing, the corners are thin this year - Gonzo, Tex, Dunn, are available and will go for big $, then dropoff to Kila and Laporta and that's it. No one else playable after that. While $9 is not ideal, my thinking is at least he is playing and will get at least 2 month audition... if I toss back best case I get him for $7 - worst case is he goes for $15 and I have no corner . Don't love to freeze at $9, but I'm going to do it.
Rest easy whammer, its the right play.

I think you will be rewarded nicely

Spread da wealth
Major League Veteran

#16 Post by Spread da wealth »

I guess I'm in the minority here about Kia at $9, but I see 1B in the AL as deeper this year than the past couple of years. Gonzo, Dunn, and D. Lee are new to the league, while Pena and Overbay have left, a major upgrade. You mention Gonzo, Dunn, and Tex being available but for big $. How about Cabrera, Youk, Morneau, or Morales? How about Butler? If they're all taken, then the 1B spot may be starting to fill up in your league. What size is the league? Depending on the size of the league, I'd toss him back and hope to get him for less than $9. If not, Barton should have the job all year, is about the same age as Kia but with much more MLB experience, had a fine second half last year, is batting in a much improved Oakland lineup this year, and could be available for the same $9 or less. Again, I'd have to know the size of the league to make that call.

Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: Rotisserie Auction

#17 Post by Tampa Bob »

Napoli is also a 1B.
10 team AL only. 4x4 with strikeouts. No drops without IL or Minors. Can keep 5 up to 3 years if $10 or under.
C: D. Jansen - $3, Y. Diaz - N/A 1B: V. Guerrero - $1 2B: J. Polanco - $4 SS: B. Witt - $1 3B: A. Bregman - $22
CR: E. Duran - $1, UT: J. Westberg - N/A
OF: K. Tucker - $1, J. Rodriguez - $1, E. Oliveras - $1, J. Kelenic - $3, M. Vierling - N/A.
SP: K. Maeta - N/A, T. Skubal - N/A, G. Cole - $46, Z. Eflin - $3, C. Sale - N/A, J. Montgomery - N/A

RP: K. Jansen - $23, C. Holmes - $27.
Minors: G. Rodriguez, A. Volpe, K. Manzardo, B. Lee, C. DeLauter