Keeper: Slowey or Carrasco

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
special k
Major League Veteran

Keeper: Slowey or Carrasco

#1 Post by special k »

AL-only, standard 5X5, 10-team, pretty massive inflation expected. Keepers due at midnight tonight.

I had been planning to keep Slowey for $10, but keep hearing two things from Rotoworld:
1. He's no lock for the rotation.
2. He might be traded.

I could instead protect Carlos Carrasco for $4. I see he is projected for $6, but as a younger pitcher, is that projection a little softer?
I could just keep Slowey and hope he is traded to the Yankees.
If Slowey goes NL before the season begins, I lose my rights. If he is traded to NL after the beginning of the season, then I get to keep his stats (Hello St. Louis!).
If he's out of the rotation, I can drop him before my auction.

Thoughts, please?

AllstonRockCity

Re: Keeper: Slowey or Carrasco

#2 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Tossing Slowey back seems the safest play.

3 straight years of falling GB rates and rising FB rates. 3 straight years of increasing (albeit slightly) walk rates. Constant injury concerns. Now the added uncertainty of job security.

If he were to make the rotation (which I think he probably will) the factors above mean you could probably get him for $10 or less at the auction. So why risk keeping him when worst case is you get him back at salary?

I'm going to try to avoid the whole CLE rotation this year. At $4 there is minimal downside.

It is really a matter of personal preference when it comes to Carrasco. If you need to keep a certain number, or feel you should for league dynamic purposes, he wouldn't be a bad keep. But I might toss him back and look to spend my $4 elsewhere.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

I'm taking the over on the Carrasco projection - I know a rookie is a rookie is a rookie, but at $4, the risk is minimal and the reward is huge.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

special k
Major League Veteran

#4 Post by special k »

I am now inclined to agree re: Slowey.
I should have included the options of Aviles $10 or Uehara $11, however. Less inclined on Uehara given the cortisone shot, but if Aviles holds the job ...
I still think Carrasco at $4 is probably the best choice, but any last thoughts?
Thanks.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

I'll take Carrasco from that group even without the salary implications.

I may pay that for Aviles in the auction if I had to. He is likely going to play somewhere but there are so many moving 2B and 3B parts in KC that I don't think anyone is assured of playing and anyone is assured of not playing.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

AllstonRockCity

#6 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Update:

Gardenhire is now saying the #4 slot is Blackburn's.

That makes the rotation: Pavano, Liriano, Deunsing and Blackburn. Slowey and Baker will battle for the #5 slot with a certain studly minor leaguer breathing down their necks.

The pen seems a lock for Slowey to start the year provided Baker's elbow is all right. Baker's elbow looks worse to me the longer he is forced to compete for a spot. He should be considered their #1 or #2 and the fact that he's not leads me to believe that their is something wrong with him.

There is no way you can keep Slowey $10 at this point.

special k
Major League Veteran

#7 Post by special k »

Agreed. Had already gone with Carrasco when I saw the Gardenhire remark, was happy you both confirmed my suspicions, thanks.