Who plays in what kind of league?

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
johnd2442

Who plays in what kind of league?

#1 Post by johnd2442 »

Forgive me if this question has been asked before. It seems that 4x4 or 5x5 head to head or roto leagues are basically the standard. Or is that so? I guess you don't know unless you ask.

Personally, I don't play in any of those kinds of leagues - though I do play in a head to head league. The league I'm in is 20 teams, mixed, head to head, points based.

So, what type of league do YOU play in?
---How many teams are in the league?
---Mixed? AL only? NL only?
---Head to head? Roto?
---What's your scoring system like? 4x4? 5x5? 6x6? points based? Something else?

Please feel free to add in any other pertinent details about your league, your main league, all of your leagues...whatever. I'm just curious about getting a small idea of what system my (hopefully soon to be) fellow Mastersball men on this forum play in with fantasy baseball.

Thanks in advance for humoring me.

50 Desert Eagles

Re: Who plays in what kind of league?

#2 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

3 year veteran to fantasy land. First yr was straight 5x5, but I fell in love. The past two years I got in a great league with some really great guys that are hardcore into it. Here is what I am used to and like the aspect of it a lot.

20 Team Mixed league 7x7 settings H2H, 4 keepers, very much into trades with the commish having the sole objections (based on other managers of course) to veto's(Usually only one a season and its usually ones that are REALLY REALLY bad and more used for jokes then anything). Below are the specs if your that interested. Now I do love auctions too, but the big thing I like with the bigger leagues is finding the guys that surprise everyone or guys most 10-12 teams never even look at until they make front page of some dumb article by a espn/yahoo overpaid analyst that acts smart because they found a diamond--even though deep leagues have had that guy rostered for at least a week.

Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL
Batters Stat Categories: Runs (R), Hits (H), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Batting Average (AVG), On-base Percentage (OBP)
Pitchers Stat Categories: Wins (W), Saves (SV), Strikeouts (K), Holds (HLD), Earned Run Average (ERA), (Walks + Hits)/ Innings Pitched (WHIP), Quality Starts (QS)

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

Well admitedly I play in too many leagues....but I thought I would categorize most of them at least by different formats

1) WCOFB - 14 team, mixed 5X5 roto, draft leagues with 24 active (ten pitchers that must be 6 SP, 2RP, 2FP) and 32 man rosters
Main Event plus Online Championship plus a satellite league or two

2) AL and NL keeper leagues, both 5X5 roto auction leagues - both over twenty years old, both have minor league drafts

3) LABR (look for special issue of Baseball Weekly from USA Today in mid March)
12 team, 5X5, roto auction league
Moving this year from the NL league to the AL league

4) Private high stakes league where each of the twelve owners has one AL team and one NL team, both 5X5 roto leagues
AL league is draft plus three minor leaguers
NL league is auction plus three minor leaguers

5) Rotoman League - Invitational 20 team mixed, 5X5 roto leauge with online draft

6) XFL- high profile Industry League that is 15 team, mixed, 5X5 roto (with OBA instead of BA) , November auction keeper league for 23 man roster and 17 round supplemental draft (March)

7) two private 15 team, mixed, 5X5 roto leagues that draft by email in December and January

and I am sure I have left out a few :D

johnd2442

#4 Post by johnd2442 »

man oh man, perry. i don't know how you keep track of them all!

alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

#5 Post by alleyoops »

1 mixed 5x5 12 team auction keeper
1 mixed 5x5 14 team auction keeper
1 NL only 5x5 12 team auction keeper
1 mixed 5x5 14 team draft non-keeper
1 mixed 5x5 h2h 16 team draft non-keeper

The last two are new ones for me this year.

Captain Hook

#6 Post by Captain Hook »

johnd2442 wrote:man oh man, perry. i don't know how you keep track of them all!
Excel spreadsheets :D

deansdaddy

#7 Post by deansdaddy »

1.) I am playing in both Perry's private 15 team leagues this year. The drafts for these were via email over the course of a couple months. It was a great way to start the fantasy year for me. (2)

2.) I am entering my 3rd year in the Mastersball Dynasty league - a 20 team H2H. This has really helped me get in tune with prospects etc. Finished in third place last year and have high hopes for my Adrian Gonzalez, Tulowitski and N Cruz led team. (3)

3.) I am currently signed up for the NFBC Live DP - the 12 team contest. (4)

4.) Will likely add one NFBC 15 team Sat draft again this year. Have played one every year since 2008. (5)

5.) Will likely add one MB Subscriber league - perhaps the "Mock" that we are currently taking signups for. (6)

6.) I will be taking part in Ron Shandler's inaugural Roto500 league this year. It is a hybrid 4x4 draft/auction with unique cats. I was excited to get into this league by helping secure a draft location in NYC via my co-owner who works at Madison Square Garden. I believe Todd Z is slated to participate as well. (7)

7.) A Friend has asked to team up with me in a online 12 team CBS league. Still undecided here. (8)

8.) I would jump at the chance to do a live auction league locally if I could. Haven't found it yet but I may team up with the above mentioned co-owner in some of his auctions this year. (9?)

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#8 Post by viper »

God, I've remember playing ESPN the year Randy Johnson was traded from the Expos to the Mariners and that was not my first season. It was an AL-only league and I traded Johnson very early in the season. The guy who got him was ticked off because stats were not accumulated when players were traded out of the league. That year was 1989.

After having played no less than seven leagues in any season for as long as I can remember, this year I made a major cut-back. First off I am in zero online leagues. I am in zero mixed leagues. And I am not in any NFBC leagues for the first time - I went to NY for the inaugural season and even saw Brian Walton there. At that time he was writing for Lawr at Creativesports and I even had a weekly article there - I doubt if even Lawr remembers that.

This season I am in:
two 10-team AL-only auction leagues with no bench players, only reserves for officially DLed players or MLB players sent to the minors
one 10-team NL-only auction with identical rules
one 10-team NL-only straight draft with a modified snake setup but the same reserve rules and no bench.

The auction leagues are 5x5 with IP replacing Ks. The straight draft league is a standard 5x5.

Three leagues have weekly lineup with FAAB but you can only bid on players on an MLB roster
The straight draft league has (1) daily waivers (2) daily lineup changes allowed (3) waiver are based on standings, that is the last place team gets all their requests first and this could be any number. Then the 9th place team is next. Being in first place means you have zero chance for guys like Strasburg or Posey when they were called up.

All transactions in all the leagues have associated costs after varying amounts of freebies.

Five owners are in all four leagues. Another two are in three of the leagues. This year one AL & one NL league are drafting after the season has begun [April 1 and April 8]
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

shif6
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: 5x5 keeper, auction

#9 Post by shif6 »

One on line auction 10 team 5x5 national league $280 budget at mocksports.com with 25 on the roster. No farm; no bench except injured players and those sent to the minors. Have probably been in it for 13 years (did Yahoo, ESPN, and Sandbox before that and ESPN some of the 13 years

One NFBC satellite league 15 team mixed. Have only been in one other before.

Two in town 8 owner auction leagues with a draft in my home. One AL (23 on active roster), one NL (25 on active NL roster) - five farm players in each and large benches; they are roto until August. Then we have playoffs and shift to head to head. We finish in August. Rob was in these leagues for perhaps 5 years, but has dropped out for the next couple of years (we hope not longer).

Finally, I co-manage a team in a AL 5x5 league run by Rob with 12 owners. Farm draft. No bench except injured, farm players drafted, and those sent down. If a position player gets injured, the player pool is virtually bereft of anyone with talent, and, if anyone has talent, they have no opportunity.

Skin Blues
Major League Regular

#10 Post by Skin Blues »

14 team Mixed Draft x2
10 team NL Auction
10 team AL Auction

All are re-draft, no keepers. All are standard 5x5 roto, except the NL one which substituted QS and OBA for W and BA.

Mickey4081

#11 Post by Mickey4081 »

I play in pts. based h2h and 5x5 roto with a 6x6 roto added in there too. All range from anywhere between the 10-15 team league leagues with most leagues the amateur 12 team leagues. While I don't play in deeper leagues (because I don't know of a league full of 20 knowledgeable owners), I do play with very competitive owners in these leagues which do make our "infant/toddler" leagues still challenging and for the most part very enjoyable and rewarding. In the beginning, I used to play in public leagues which to bring their share of problems with them but I have gotten lucky enough to find some very good owners in some of these leagues which, over the years, together we have formed some pretty tough leagues. I pretty much avoid public leagues now.

cwk1963

#12 Post by cwk1963 »

I've been limiting my leagues the past couple of years. Especially since I started contributing to MB as a writer. Currently, I'm in 3 leagues:

1. 16 team mixed, live auction, standard 5x5 with K/9 replacing K.
2. 14 team same as above but on line.
3. 12 team AL auction league, standard 5x5 comprised of industry analysts.

I may add a couple more but this is the core for now.

maxdad007

#13 Post by maxdad007 »

I have been the commissioner of a 12 team points based H2H for over 10 years. We have a core of about 8, with the other four fluctuating in and out. We did points only because when we started the league alot of the people joining were coming from a FFB background. It has been the biggest reason for my receding hairline but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Spread da wealth
Major League Veteran

#14 Post by Spread da wealth »

1) AL only 9 team auction, 4x4, standard 23 players, up to 10 keepers (no minimum #) for up to 3 years, no reserves, draft 3 minor leaguers, limited transactions (can only replace those who are officially DL'd or sent to minors), league in existence with same rules since 1990

2) NL only 9 team draft, 5x5 (went to just last year after it had been 4x4 for 20+ years), 18 players (only 7 P's, 4 OF's, 1C, 1 less infielder), up to 5 keepers who individually can be kept forever (though there's a formula for when we max out on the cumulative years for keepers), weekly transactions including ability to claim any free agents, no reserves or minor leaguers

Interesting to see all the variations