Guillermo Pimentel - OF - SEA

Minor Leaguers, prospects, projects, and suspects.
johnd2442

Guillermo Pimentel - OF - SEA

#1 Post by johnd2442 »

This guy really intrigues me. Baseball America ranked him NUMBER ONE on the Arizona League list last September. Perry has him ranked #46 in the AL.

Lawr, however, doesn't have him on his top 250 prospects because not only does Pimentel not have 200 AB's yet in his career, but he hasn't played above High A. Here is where I am wondering about when it is too early to speculate on a guy. Perry seems to think it is just fine since he has him ranked pretty high. Pimentel isn't even 20 yet (not until October 2012) and hit .250 in the Arizona Rookie League. Granted, he also had a .276 OBP and .727 OPS. But yet Baseball America raved about his 5 tool talent.

This is just one of many guys I'm really intrigued about. And Perry, with a guy like this, I almost want to say your list caters a lot to long term views too!

Captain Hook

Re: Guillermo Pimentel - OF - SEA

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

John - I said in the intro my list is based on LONG TERM VALUE.

That said I think it is way too early to take Pimentel over guys with as much or more talent who will play before he will (btw I am an official scorer for the AZ league and there is no way I would have had Pimentel at the top of my list of prospects from that league)

johnd2442

#3 Post by johnd2442 »

i see, perry. forgive my confusion then in still having difficulties discerning the difference between your list and lawr's list. because with lawr's list you said that his list is primarily for younger players than your list. but your list is for long term value, you say. i guess, wouldn't both lists be for long term value then? :D

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

johnd2442 wrote:i see, perry. forgive my confusion then in still having difficulties discerning the difference between your list and lawr's list. because with lawr's list you said that his list is primarily for younger players than your list. but your list is for long term value, you say. i guess, wouldn't both lists be for long term value then? :D
John BOTH lists are for long term value

Mine has an intro but are personal rankings

I think Lawr's had an intro, but here is the key on his - his is more defined rankings based on the values below

Rank Ranking on Top 250
Player Player Name
P/H Pitcher/Hitter
Value Mastersball Algorithm Ranking Value
Age Age on Opening Day
W/SLG Wins/Slugging
L/OBP Losses/On-Base Percentage
ERA/AVE Earned Run Average/Batting Average
K/HR Strikeouts/Home runs
IP/AB Innings Pitched/At-Bats
LVL Level of Play
Tm Franchise
Lg League
# New team (changed since end of season)

Rules Players must play above High-A
Pitchers must had to throw a total of 70 innings
Batters must have at least 200 at-bats
Stats shown are for highest level of play last year