Keeper Help!

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
bxm701

Keeper Help!

#1 Post by bxm701 »

Hi guys,

My 6x6 Roto league (w/ OPS & HLDs) lets us keep 6 players each (666....yikes).

I have $7 options that I really like.

Miggy $38
Cano $25
McCutch $13
C. Young $1
Weeks $5
Ubaldo $12
Bruce $13

To me, Bruce is the odd man out, but I'd really like to keep him. I'd like to move Ubaldo plus another keeper for an even better keep and then just keep that player + Bruce.

2 Questions:

1 - After Ubaldo, who is the next moveable keeper (ie. 2nd worst)?
2 - Would you trade Ubaldo plus the player from question 1 for Josh Hamilton $19 (and then keep Bruce as well?

Thanks all!

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Keeper Help!

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Have to assume C Young is the hitter :)

Is this 12 teams?

That is a solid start regardless.

I don't love Ubaldo this season, but at that price, if he were my SP2 or SP3, I could get by.

To me, dealing for Hamilton is taking on risk you don't need with such a solid set of keepers.

My first option is to package Ubaldo plus Bruce for a better pitcher.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

bxm701

#3 Post by bxm701 »

12 team indeed.

I guess I don't see Hamilton as much more of a risk than Weeks, or even Young (could bat .220) but I definately see your point.

In terms of Ubaldo, if kept, I could easily see him beingy SP1. The plan is to go all in on hitting, get a couple undervalued starters (Colby Lewis types..hopefully better) with very cheap saves and load up on stud Holds guys. 6x6 devalues closers even more, yet my leaguemates will still pay 13 for Mariano but won't go past 4 on Gregerson (I could actually keep Gregerson at $2). So I'm hoping Studs like him keep my ratios and Ks alive while I likely struggle in wins. On offense though, watch out. Anyways, you get the idea.

So, if I dealt Ubaldo, I doubt that I'd have any pitcher worth 12$ on the final squad.

Regarding dealing Bruce and Ubaldo for an SP upgrade. That is an option...there are keepers such as Price $6, weaver $3, liriano $6 but I'm not sure they're attainable for that combo. Also, you're missing the point, whether rational or not - I want Bruce! :p

So then the question becomes are there any pitching keepers worth the combo of ubaldo $12 and say weeks $5 (or chris young $1). I don't think so...the best option is likely weaver $3 or price $6, latos $1. None of which make me go gaga compared to weeks or young at their prices.

Maybe the best idea is just to get someone to talk sown Bruce before I do anything irrational!

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

I'm less optimistic on Ubaldo than most. There is going to be some more give back in his numbers and his K/9 is not as strong as perceived.

But as you suggest, how you put together your staff in 6x6 dictates the quality of your ace.

I see Hamilton as more of a risk than Weeks, his injuries are a different variety. Weeks had a few fluky ones along the way.

FWIW, I love Weaver at that price --a lot.

But, it really depends on whether you are going to back him up with other strikeout pitchers. Though this format lends itself to drafting a few high K relievers that get holds.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

bxm701

#5 Post by bxm701 »

Don't know if I can get Weaver, Price $6 more likely. In going after him, would you be more willing to deal Weeks $5 or Young $1.

And does anyone share my love for Bruce?!

bxm701

#6 Post by bxm701 »

Scherzer $4 another option. Like that? More than weeks or Young? Assuming more than Ubaldo 12$...

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

Bruce has all the tools, he just needs to cut down on the Ks. Unfortunately, last season, after making strides in 2009, he went back to previous levels.

In order to take the next step, he needs to get the contact rate to 80% or so. Not saying he won't or can't. Just saying I am going to let someone else pay for the potential.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

I like Weaver more than Scherzer, but not by much.

Same apartment, different floors, but close enough to take the stairs.

bxm701

#9 Post by bxm701 »

And what about Shaun Marcum? He lives in their basement? Just one flight down?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Todd Zola »

yeah, but I am little leery of overly relying on league and park effects. I'll be writing about this for tomorrow and next Thursday.

bxm701

#11 Post by bxm701 »

Alright, so my keeper deadline is tomorrow!

I have taken your advice and sent offers including Bruce and Ubaldo to fill that final keeper spot.

So my 5 locks are
Miggy $38
Cano $25
McCutch $13
Weeks $5
C. Young $1

I'm looking at trading for one of the following players to add to this group. Can you PLEASE rank these keepers in terms of complimenting the previous 5!:

Pujols $50
Scherzer $4
Buccholz $1
Marcum $1
Stubbs $1

I ask for a ranking and not a favorite as I'm not positive if I can get each option.

Thank you!

bxm701

#12 Post by bxm701 »

Also, Pujols gets a slight bump (as if he needs it) in this league as it is 6x6 with OPS.

deansdaddy

#13 Post by deansdaddy »

I'd move Stubbs up to #3 on that trade list.

bxm701

#14 Post by bxm701 »

Does that mean you'd go after Pujols at $50 over any of those pitchers (even though I already have Miggy $38)?

deansdaddy

#15 Post by deansdaddy »

If I could get Pujols - I would do it and worry about the rest later.

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#16 Post by SteveB »

actually i would pass on Pujols. I don't get why your so hot for him with Cabrera already signed for 38.00.
I think your better off spending that 50 towards other spots in your lineup. So in terms of complimenting your existing
keepers I would rank him last.

Depending on what it would cost you I do like the 1 Stubbs

bxm701

#17 Post by bxm701 »

It's looking like a choice between Pujols $50 and Scherzer $4 as I'm not sure if I can land the other players.

This one has me stumped. I agree with both, just get Pujols and draft accordingly, or get a cheap soft ace to go with the bats. Both sound good.

With my inflation calculation, I still have Pujols at a $13 value even at $50 while Scherzer is a $17 value.

cwk1963

#18 Post by cwk1963 »

I agree with Steve on this one. Use Pujol's $50 to solidify the rest of your team with Miggy being kept. As for the rest:

Scherzer $4
Stubbs $1
Marcum $1
Buchholz $1
Pujols $50

bxm701

#19 Post by bxm701 »

Going with Scherzer.

Thanks all.

bxm701