Keeper Assistance Please

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Chief Illiniwek

Keeper Assistance Please

#1 Post by Chief Illiniwek »

Hi all,

I am over analyzing this so I figured I would bounce this off you guys. Who would you keep?

12 Team - 5x5 Roto (R, RBI, HR, SB, OBP, ERA, Whip, K, W, SV)
We play C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF(4), 2 UTL, and 7 Pitchers. 25 man total roster.
Everyone gets to keep $18 worth of keepers, Values are determined by round they are drafted and values increase $2 per year kept. Kept players are back loaded at the end of the draft.

Here is my roster.

Player - 2011 Keeper Cost
Matt Holliday 5
Bobby Abreu 4
Dustin Pedroia 4
José Reyes 4
Pablo Sandoval 4
Carlos González 3
Ryan Ludwick 3
Nyjer Morgan 3
A.J. Pierzynski 2
Yuniesky Betancourt 1
Orlando Hudson 1
Desmond Jennings 1
Logan Morrison 1
Scott Rolen 1
Carlos Santana 1

Player - 2011 Keeper Cost
Joakim Soria 4
Jair Jurrjens 3
David Price 3
Homer Bailey 2
Mat Latos 2
Brandon Lyon 2
Dallas Braden 1
Brian Duensing 1
Daniel Hudson 1
Carl Pavano 1
Edinson Vólquez 1

Who would you keep?

Thanks,

Chief
Last edited by Chief Illiniwek on March 1st, 2011, 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxdad007

Re: Keeper Assistance Please

#2 Post by maxdad007 »

Matt Holliday 5 - Couldn't find $5 to spend a different way
Dustin Pedroia 4 - If he bats leadoff or 2nd, big numbers a comin
Carlos González 3 - fairly obvious
Carlos Santana 1 - excellent value
Logan Morrison 1 - Had a $1 left to spend
David Price 3 - Best SP you have, could also go Volquez and Latos as well, but how many wins could Latos get for that team.
Daniel Hudson 1 - Looked very good last year after being traded.

deansdaddy

#3 Post by deansdaddy »

Hey Chief - I'll start with the guys I would keep for sure:

Carlos Santana - $1 (who didn't see that coming :lol: )
Carlos Gonzalez - $3
Daniel Hudson - $1
Edinson Volquez - $1
Mat Latos - $2

Then I kind of like both these rookies at a buck:

Desmond Jennings
- $1
Logan Morrison - $1 (1B/OF)

That's 7 players for $10 leaving me $8 to spend.

My first instinct is to just go for Pedroia and Reyes with that $8 and lock up my 2B/SS with Top options.

Soria is the next most tempting player for me but I expect I would toss him back and try to draft my saves instead. Holliday is tough to toss back - but at $5 I think you do so and then grab the best player in the 1st round knowing you have the MI covered. This is a pretty quick take at it without really breaking it down. I'm as interested as you to see what others say. BTW - how many teams in this league???

Chief Illiniwek

#4 Post by Chief Illiniwek »

deansdaddy wrote:Hey Chief - I'll start with the guys I would keep for sure:

Carlos Santana - $1 (who didn't see that coming :lol: )
Carlos Gonzalez - $3
Daniel Hudson - $1
Edinson Volquez - $1
Mat Latos - $2

Then I kind of like both these rookies at a buck:

Desmond Jennings
- $1
Logan Morrison - $1 (1B/OF)

That's 7 players for $10 leaving me $8 to spend.

My first instinct is to just go for Pedroia and Reyes with that $8 and lock up my 2B/SS with Top options.

Soria is the next most tempting player for me but I expect I would toss him back and try to draft my saves instead. Holliday is tough to toss back - but at $5 I think you do so and then grab the best player in the 1st round knowing you have the MI covered. This is a pretty quick take at it without really breaking it down. I'm as interested as you to see what others say. BTW - how many teams in this league???

Sorry, 12 Teams.

Both suggestions were a lot different than I originally thought.

I was planning on keeping:
Holliday (5), Reyes (4), Cargo (3), Price (3), Latos (2), C. Santana (1).

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#5 Post by SteveB »

Hi Chief my initial reaction was close to yours it looks like. However I would put Pedroia in for Reyes.

Holliday (5), Pedroia (4), Cargo (3), Price (3), Latos (2), C. Santana (1).

However IF your looking for options possibly dropping Price and substituting in the one dollar Hudson would not be a bad move . With the two dollars you could pick up Morrison and Jennings but to me it would be woth seeing how they are progressing in ST first. OR I was thinking ANY player your not keeping Reyes, Soria , Morrison, Price can you combine and get a higher quality keeper in a trade to fill in the last 2 dollars.

Chief Illiniwek

#6 Post by Chief Illiniwek »

SteveB wrote:Hi Chief my initial reaction was close to yours it looks like. However I would put Pedroia in for Reyes.

Holliday (5), Pedroia (4), Cargo (3), Price (3), Latos (2), C. Santana (1).

However IF your looking for options possibly dropping Price and substituting in the one dollar Hudson would not be a bad move . With the two dollars you could pick up Morrison and Jennings but to me it would be woth seeing how they are progressing in ST first. OR I was thinking ANY player your not keeping Reyes, Soria , Morrison, Price can you combine and get a higher quality keeper in a trade to fill in the last 2 dollars.
Yeah no trades after the season.

I was thinking w SS being so thin that Reyes might be better.

I have also been kicking around throwing holliday back and keeping Reyes, pedroia, and d Hudson. Thoughts?

SteveB
Major League All-Star

#7 Post by SteveB »

I have also been kicking around throwing holliday back and keeping Reyes, pedroia, and d Hudson. Thoughts?

I believe that is the course of action that Ryan suggested. I have no problem with that and IF Reyes stays healthy the whole year i think its your best move.
Personally i prefer to get power with my keepers and there is plenty of MI, OF options for speed late in the draft that I would target. Reyes makes me nervous as he can never seem to stay healthy and a simple leg injury robs him of the only asset he brings to the table.

If thats your move then be sure to target some power bats in the first few rounds.