2011 Prospect Lists

Minor Leaguers, prospects, projects, and suspects.
Captain Hook

2011 Prospect Lists

#1 Post by Captain Hook »

Okay folks first lists - AL and NL long term minor league prospects has been posted in the Platinum tools area.

Have at em and let's get some discussion going.

To answer one early question and reinforcing that they are for long term value but different teams have different needs in different year - so for instance while he probably doesn't get many AB in 2011 Mike Trout IMHO is the number one AL prospect while organization mate Hank Conger could be the starting catcher for the Angels in April so he would have more value for this year - even if platooning with Mathis than Trout - but just for this year.

johnd2442

Re: 2011 Prospect Lists

#2 Post by johnd2442 »

hi perry - thank you for your lists. i'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion/questions about them. maybe not everyone deals with minor leaguers in their leagues. my league has 30 available farm roster spots per team and for 20 teams, that's 600 possible minor leaguers, so i have taken great interest in your lists as well as lawr's.

the main question i have (which could lead to more, so watch out!) is how does lawr have so many players listed on his top 250 list that don't make your list? i realize that your list is for long term value (which i love) so i'm just trying to understand his list as well.

johnd2442

#3 Post by johnd2442 »

hi perry - another question re: your lists.

i see that it is more of a long term list, but i see scott mathieson (P-PHI) on your list at #94 in the NL. he seems like he may open camp with the MLB phillies, so i'm kind of intrigued why he was on the list.

i know that he was viewed as a project previously because of his two tommy john surgeries, but he did close the year out with the MLB team before being shut down. other than that, i admittedly don't know much at all about him. maybe he'll be optioned to the minors again in 2011? my concern is that he's already had 39 IP in the MLB.

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

On the road John so I will try and give quick answers now and then discuss more later (likely Tuesday at the earliest)

Lawr's list is traditionally much younger players - I believe he has an intro for it that explains but if not I will post it here.

Mine was supposed to just be Top 100 that have not hit the majors yet (or were presumed NOT to be starting 2011 in the major leagues - obviously Hellickson is off the list because he will be in Tampa Bay's rotation while Domonic Brown and Desmond Jennings are still question marks so they should be with the prospects)

That is also the reason why Mathieson I deemed as a prospect. He has pitched pretty well since his latest surgery and converting from SP to closer but it would be unlikley for him to have any shot with Lidge still in Philly and Madson there to back him up.......So if he does start the year in the Majors he won't have much value but if he were in the minors he is #94 because he is a potential closer.

Fire away....always glad to talk about minor leaguers. In my AL keeper league we draft five new ones each year but can keep an unlimited number as long as we pay $5 each for the retained farm players. It is not uncommon for teams who were "rebuilding" to freeze twenty or more minor leaguers while teams in the money may have spent their "capital" over the course of the last year. In that league NINETEEN! of my Top 109 AL prospects are already owned.

johnd2442

#5 Post by johnd2442 »

perry - you are very kind to have taken the time out to reply while you are on the road. now that is above and beyond! but i am used to that now at mastersball.

i am trying like heck to take your articles and lists in like a sponge...but whew, it is a lot. thank you so much for your explanation. i don't have a good number, but i would have to think that maybe 10% of players are on both your list and lawr's list which is interesting. both lists are unimaginably helpful, but now that i know the reasoning behind both lists, it is really helpful, so thank you.

one guy that is on both of your lists which is interesting is lucas duda, OF-NYM who seems like a fringe prospect, like an AAAA guy, but who knows.

either way, thanks so much for getting back. most appreciated...and i'm sure i'll drown you with questions as the year goes on!

and incidentally, on your list, in the top 50 from the NL, only TWO players are not on rosters in my league. For your top 50 AL, just FOUR players are free agents. Kind of crazy.