really unbalanced keeper list

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
mjlewis
Major League Veteran

really unbalanced keeper list

#1 Post by mjlewis »

12-team mixed 5x5 using AVG.

My reasonable keepers are as follows:
Mark Reynolds $16
Pedro Alvarez $8
Starlin Castro $7
Shin-Soo Choo $11
Tyler Colvin $6
Mike Stanton $8
Drew Stubbs $9
Roy Halladay $33

I can keep 6. I am inclined to let Castro and Colvin go, but I'm concerned that four of my five hitting keepers have terrible AVG. Should I care?

Also, if I can trade Colvin for Furcal $11, is that worth keeping over one of the guys I was planning to keep?

- Mike

deansdaddy

Re: really unbalanced keeper list

#2 Post by deansdaddy »

I'm sure Perry will likely chime in here and give you better advice than I can. So I'll try to get him some more info to work with:

1- Can you keep your players for more than one year?
2- If you can what is the salary increase per year?
3- What is your cap for this league? Standard 260?
4- If you can keep for more than one year is there a limit? If so it would help to know what year of there contract these guys are in.

My first reaction was why do you need to keep both Reynolds AND Alvarez? If you can keep these guys for more than one season Castro seems like a guy you would want to hold onto. Reynolds would be the guy I would be looking to deal away.

Choo/Stubbs/Stanton/Alvarez/Halladay/Castro would be my choices if I could keep these guys beyond this season. I don't really like Furcal that much more than Castro this year. Castro can provide the Avg and SB's like Furcal can and his youth means his best days are ahead of him. Furcal has much more injury risk - so I don't see that move being an upgrade. Have you considered making a run at Troy Tulowitski's owner? I would offer Halladay/Castro/Reynolds and see if I could get Tulo and another quality SP in return.

Anyway - I wouldn't worry too much about BA downside of keeping the guys I've listed - but I would opt for Alvarez if I get to keep these guys beyond this year.

Perry - how do you feel about keeping 3 OF's?

mjlewis
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by mjlewis »

You can keep players for a $5 raise each year; you do have long-term contracts but the penalty for breaking them is really minor so I'm not worried about it.

Standard $260 cap and positions.

Choo and Reynolds are expiring long-term contracts. If I wanted to cut either one it would cost me $5 of my $100 FAAB budget for the year (like I said, really minor). For all of the other players, I have to decide this year how long to keep them.

It's pretty tough to make 2-for-1 deals in this league, as far as I can tell (I just joined this league and am taking over another team) and Tulo got traded this offseason so I doubt he's available.

- Mike

mjlewis
Major League Veteran

#4 Post by mjlewis »

I went ahead and did the Colvin for Furcal trade, since I got him to throw in a minor upgrade on draft picks, but I'm still not sure about keeping Furcal now that I have him, and I still have no idea how much I should worry about either keeping two corner guys, two SSs, or three outfielders, much less caring about them mostly having terrible AVG. I guess I will have a better idea soon when I see who's available in the auction -- it's my first year in this league and I don't know how auction day feels yet.

- Mike

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

mjlewis wrote:12-team mixed 5x5 using AVG.

My reasonable keepers are as follows:
Mark Reynolds $16
Pedro Alvarez $8
Starlin Castro $7
Shin-Soo Choo $11
Tyler Colvin $6
Mike Stanton $8
Drew Stubbs $9
Roy Halladay $33

I can keep 6. I am inclined to let Castro and Colvin go, but I'm concerned that four of my five hitting keepers have terrible AVG. Should I care?

Also, if I can trade Colvin for Furcal $11, is that worth keeping over one of the guys I was planning to keep?

- Mike
Well thanks to Ryan for asking my first set of questions.

Mike if I had to keep six from this list it would be:
Pedro Alvarez $8
Starlin Castro $7
Shin-Soo Choo $11
Mike Stanton $8
Drew Stubbs $9
Roy Halladay $33

so you traded Colvin whom I would not keep (not a full time player)
I like that you got a draft upgrade.
I would rather keep Castro at $7 over Furcal at $11....SO I would suggest you find a team that has no shortstop - not a deep position for the better ones and trade Furcal and Reynolds and perhaps someone else for an even better keeper. The trading may not be easy but if you offer a two for one and get turned down and THEN add another player i suspect you will make some progress