Looking at Rotoworld for minor leaguers

Minor Leaguers, prospects, projects, and suspects.
johnd2442

Looking at Rotoworld for minor leaguers

#1 Post by johnd2442 »

Ok, so the league I'm in is having a free agent auction (separate from their free agent draft) as there are a lot of minor leaguers that weren't drafted. I'm looking at Lawr's and Perry's very helpful minor league lists and one thing seems to be clear - there are a TON of highly regarded minor leaguers, so much so, that a lot of names on Lawr's list are not on Perry's.

Anyway...my main question here is about Rotoworld.com. A lot of the names on Lawr's list (haven't checked yet on Perry's) are not on Rotoworld. Some of these guys are in AA and AAA. So is Rotoworld not a great place to be looking at for minor leaguers? I've heard Baseball Prospectus but haven't really utilized it mainly because I'm not going to pay $40 for an annual membership when I don't care enough about minor leaguers. But, at least BP has all of the players (it seems) on Perry's and Lawr's list!

Ok, maybe this wasn't so much of a question as it was venting or just a general bitch about Rotoworld.

Captain Hook

Re: Looking at Rotoworld for minor leaguers

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

johnd2442 wrote:Ok, so the league I'm in is having a free agent auction (separate from their free agent draft) as there are a lot of minor leaguers that weren't drafted. I'm looking at Lawr's and Perry's very helpful minor league lists and one thing seems to be clear - there are a TON of highly regarded minor leaguers, so much so, that a lot of names on Lawr's list are not on Perry's.

Anyway...my main question here is about Rotoworld.com. A lot of the names on Lawr's list (haven't checked yet on Perry's) are not on Rotoworld. Some of these guys are in AA and AAA. So is Rotoworld not a great place to be looking at for minor leaguers? I've heard Baseball Prospectus but haven't really utilized it mainly because I'm not going to pay $40 for an annual membership when I don't care enough about minor leaguers. But, at least BP has all of the players (it seems) on Perry's and Lawr's list!

Ok, maybe this wasn't so much of a question as it was venting or just a general bitch about Rotoworld.

When you have three good lists here, why would you need to look at Rotoworld for minor leaguers? Not what they are known or used for. BP would certainly have more names as would BA but you don't need quantity - you need quality.

Context is important when you are discussing "prospects"
Tell us what you need (or have questions about since we Already have listed lots of them) and we will give you the answer(s).

johnd2442

#3 Post by johnd2442 »

Captain Hook wrote:
johnd2442 wrote:Ok, so the league I'm in is having a free agent auction (separate from their free agent draft) as there are a lot of minor leaguers that weren't drafted. I'm looking at Lawr's and Perry's very helpful minor league lists and one thing seems to be clear - there are a TON of highly regarded minor leaguers, so much so, that a lot of names on Lawr's list are not on Perry's.

When you have three good lists here, why would you need to look at Rotoworld for minor leaguers? Not what they are known or used for. BP would certainly have more names as would BA but you don't need quantity - you need quality.

Context is important when you are discussing "prospects"
Tell us what you need (or have questions about since we Already have listed lots of them) and we will give you the answer(s).
oh my fault, perry. you are totally 100% right here. i didn't mean that i was trying to look at other sources to double-check your lists or say/do anything to discredit you or lawr. i guess i meant that i was simply looking their name up on rotoworld and was surprised that guys wouldn't even be listed. just to see their position played or what not, really. you are very right about the context though.

deansdaddy

#4 Post by deansdaddy »

Hey John - another place you can look for names right here at Mastersball is to go to the Mastersball Dynasty League thread and check out the threads from our yearly Minor League draft. This is a 20 team league - so you can see some names of guys who were actually drafted in this Dynasty league. There is also a thread that lists all the Minor league players currently on rosters. Every team has 15 spots - so that's 300 names right there. These are the guys that remain on rosters after the draft and cuts and promotions are made.

One other things to remember is if you have a question about a specific player post it in the Minor League thread and you will get some good info - usually from Perry and Lawr fairly quickly. They actually watch these guys play and give a scout's eye take.

If you want to get some stats on a name you are interested in - baseballreference.com or fangraphs.com is a good place to look for historical data. They are usually my go to places for this kind of stuff.

johnd2442

#5 Post by johnd2442 »

deansdaddy wrote:Hey John - another place you can look for names right here at Mastersball is to go to the Mastersball Dynasty League thread and check out the threads from our yearly Minor League draft. This is a 20 team league - so you can see some names of guys who were actually drafted in this Dynasty league. There is also a thread that lists all the Minor league players currently on rosters. Every team has 15 spots - so that's 300 names right there. These are the guys that remain on rosters after the draft and cuts and promotions are made.

One other things to remember is if you have a question about a specific player post it in the Minor League thread and you will get some good info - usually from Perry and Lawr fairly quickly. They actually watch these guys play and give a scout's eye take.

If you want to get some stats on a name you are interested in - baseballreference.com or fangraphs.com is a good place to look for historical data. They are usually my go to places for this kind of stuff.
wow, you couldn't be more right about the mastersball dynasty draft threads. thank you! that is going to be a valuable resource going forward i think. in perry's thread regarding his long term prospect lists, i mentioned that the league i'm in has 30 available farm roster spots per team and for 20 teams, that's 600 players, so uncovering some of these guys is going to be so valuable. so thanks for pointing that out.

and thanks also for pointing out those websites. baseball reference is such a wonderful site, but i've never looked at fangraphs.

i'll try not to litter the board with too many questions which might prompt lawr and perry to track me down and put me in a straitjacket. but i think as the year goes on, and names start becoming familiar, i may be able to form slightly intelligent questions about specific players. but don't hold your breath!

thanks again for the help, much appreciated.

deansdaddy

#6 Post by deansdaddy »

John - litter away. We can never have too much to talk about when it comes to baseball. :D

One thing to note about the Mastersball Dynasty threads is that you will see a good amount of High School players.

After Strasburg and Harper everyone is trying to pick some of these guys BEFORE they actually get drafted by major league teams. We discussed changing this rule this year but it didn't pass.

I personally like the rule as is since you can grab guys early and really build longterm.

johnd2442

#7 Post by johnd2442 »

wow, now that is hard core! well, i suppose i did notice a friend's kid in kindergarten who can throw a lego block really far. maybe i can draft him? :)

thank you for understanding my soon to be many questions. be careful what you wish for!

i notice that this minor league discussion forum doesn't have many threads/posts compared to the others. maybe it's time to change that! i do like that with MLB, there really is a lot to talk about if you want. yes, current MLB players of course, but i never realized how many people truly love the minor leagues. and now comparing ticket prices...i love the minor leagues for that aspect alone!