Platinum forum

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
uharchmajor

Platinum forum

#1 Post by uharchmajor »

I know I ready something about this somewhere and I believe the answer is no, but....do you guys plan on creating a forum for Platinum members only?

For example, alleyoops posted regarding the Pitching Methodology article and without giving to much away it might be nice to keep that info for paid members. Another exmaple would be questions or comments on projections. I remember back in the day, one of the MB staff would respond to every question for Plat. members as one of the perks.

Sorry, if I overlooked this info somewhere.

Re: Platinum forum

#2 Post by Guest »

The plan is not to have a subscriber only board. Our hope is significant conversation can ensue from a more free-flowing sharing of ideas. Frankly, as much as we know many enjoyed the perk of "expert" response, it really shut down the back and forth that these places should foster.

Certainly if anything is posted here that would give away too much content that others are paying for, we'll remove it or edit is as we need to, but we encourage those who don't sign up to participate as well.

But we certainly understand the importance of protecting the value of your subscription and will make sure nothing is posted that would endanger that.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

Quick update -- Gary and I talked before he posted last night and he spoke for both of us.

A day later, we realize we may have to reconsider on a limited basis and provide an area for discussion of subscription site material to protect the interest (and investment) of those generous enough to trust us to provide paid content.

I can say with complete certainty we will not have an area dedicated to answering subscriber questions, sorry.

Consider this like Bud Selig relenting to allow replay for HR and boundary calls, but not for any other call :mrgreen:
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

#4 Post by alleyoops »

I liked your first decision, and I'm platinum. I realize that I am part of the reason for this, as I quoted part of one of the platinum pieces. I think the greater good of having full discussion outweighs the "protection of investment" concerns. Would be interested to see if others have the same view.

Of course I also realize it's partly a business decision, as you want to sell more memberships, and if some of that material gets out free of charge, there's less incentive to subscribe. Still, I don't think in practice it would matter much. A lot of the reason folks subscribe is related to projections. Are you going to prevent referral to any projections in the "free" forums? It would seem that would restrict things too much.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

It's a fine line and why Gary, JP and I need to talk about it in detail before we make any decision. I have already made several references to the projections of some players already.

People are paying us to give them hints on players that we think are better than others think as well as players we think are worse than others think. This is valuable information when heading into a draft or auction and that knowledge should be protected.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

I have flip-flopped on his dozens of times -- not an easy decision :?

alleyoops
Major League All-Star

#7 Post by alleyoops »

Todd Zola wrote:It's a fine line and why Gary, JP and I need to talk about it in detail before we make any decision. I have already made several references to the projections of some players already.

People are paying us to give them hints on players that we think are better than others think as well as players we think are worse than others think. This is valuable information when heading into a draft or auction and that knowledge should be protected.
I'd just hate to see the kind of good discussions that we've had so far broken across two areas, diluting both. That was one of the problems with FB last year, I think. There's probably a larger base of active posters here already, though, so maybe the concern is not warranted.

I think the hints you refer to will get out, to a large extent, in free forum discussions about keepers, rosters, trades, free agents, etc. It's unrealistic to view that kind of information on individual players as "protected", IMO. Where do you draw the line, on what can be said, and what can't? Obviously sharing a spreadsheet of projections or profiles, or a cut-and-paste of an entire article should not be done.

Maybe a poll would be useful? My guess would be that a vast majority of the platinum subscribers would share my view. In fact, it may be very close to 100%.

Of course, another solution would be to not have any "free" subscribers. Maybe offer a free trial membership, without access to some of the main content, expiring in 30 days or so?

I agree it's a tough call, and an important one. I'll get off my soap-box now...

rotodog

#8 Post by rotodog »

Todd,

First my 2 cents. I just paid for the platinum content today and I for one do understand that you are trying to rebuild something you once had and that was the great MASTERSBALL community that you used to have. Also make a few bucks for your time.... I dont have a problem with discussions about paid content on the forum boards. I feel it will introduce non platinum members to the service and add many new potential customers. If they want to participate for free, thats fine too...

As a marketing tool, its always good to give away a little something free to introdcue a product and that free peak can be the discussion.Hopefully it encourages new platinum membership...But I do respect your need to keep the cow under lock and key so people dont get free milk too.. Either way, i have no problem..

cwk1963

#9 Post by cwk1963 »

I think there needs to be a protected forum. I remember the 'old' MB days when people had comments/questions about many a projection or profile which were answered by Todd, Jason, Perry and Gary (sounds like a late-night commercial for a law firm). There was already a free forum that was in full swing and remained very healthy. Personally, I spent much more time in the Platinum Forum after the season started and would be afraid of that happening here. But if it were limited, as Todd says, to just the 'HR and boundary calls' I think it would work well. As a business, proprietary information should be kept just that and, as paying customers, we need to help keep it proprietary by not letting out that information but we need a place to discuss it. If it's not done in a protected forum I think Todd and Gary would be swamped with PM's where there would be duplicated questions.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Todd Zola »

alleyoops wrote:
I'd just hate to see the kind of good discussions that we've had so far broken across two areas, diluting both. That was one of the problems with FB last year, I think. There's probably a larger base of active posters here already, though, so maybe the concern is not warranted.

I think the hints you refer to will get out, to a large extent, in free forum discussions about keepers, rosters, trades, free agents, etc. It's unrealistic to view that kind of information on individual players as "protected", IMO. Where do you draw the line, on what can be said, and what can't? Obviously sharing a spreadsheet of projections or profiles, or a cut-and-paste of an entire article should not be done.
I'm not worried about the discussion being diluted. And between the First Pitch forums, my public mock drafts, posting on other boards, etc, this stuff will get out.
alleyoops wrote:Maybe a poll would be useful? My guess would be that a vast majority of the platinum subscribers would share my view. In fact, it may be very close to 100%.
I hesitate to use polls, I have been doing this long enough that in a lot of cases, you get the opinion of the vocal minority.
alleyoops wrote:Of course, another solution would be to not have any "free" subscribers. Maybe offer a free trial membership, without access to some of the main content, expiring in 30 days or so?
Now you have totally lost me -- not have any free subscribers but give them access to the paid content for free for one month? You can sign up on Feb 28, get stuff for free for 1 month, do your drafts and say good-bye, I don't see that as a solution.

It is going to come down to what the majority expect from their $29.95 -- some only want the names of 10 players we like/don't like and that's it. They'll wonder why they needed to fork over $30 if all they had to do was read the forums. Others are paying for not just the information, but the presentation. Others are paying for the methods. It's a pretty big cross-section.

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#11 Post by viper »

there needs to be a place to talk about projections and similar "boundary" topics. If there isn't, then Todd and Gary will have an awful lot of PMs concerning these issues. If it cannot be in the public forum, then it needs to be in a subscriber forum. The key is to limit that forum to "sensitive" item and not general chit-chat. After the season begin, possibily it can be closed or at least become a underused forum.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

AllstonRockCity

#12 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Todd Zola wrote:It is going to come down to what the majority expect from their $29.95 -- some only want the names of 10 players we like/don't like and that's it. They'll wonder why they needed to fork over $30 if all they had to do was read the forums. Others are paying for not just the information, but the presentation. Others are paying for the methods. It's a pretty big cross-section.
Simply put, I paid $29.95 cuz I think this is the best forum/site/projection set/fantasy theory available on the internet.

I doubt that a reasonable platinum subscriber would be upset if a small percentage of platinum content was discussed on the free forums. Granted (and I work retail) not every customer is reasonable, but you'll never win if you try to please everyone. Its not like the full projection sets, value calculators and methodology articles behind it all are being posted, its merely small details within each.
Last edited by AllstonRockCity on February 3rd, 2009, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#13 Post by Todd Zola »

Keep the cards and letters coming --- I have a thought, but want to talk with Gary first.

cwk1963

#14 Post by cwk1963 »

AllstonRockCity wrote:
Todd Zola wrote:It is going to come down to what the majority expect from their $29.95 -- some only want the names of 10 players we like/don't like and that's it. They'll wonder why they needed to fork over $30 if all they had to do was read the forums. Others are paying for not just the information, but the presentation. Others are paying for the methods. It's a pretty big cross-section.
Simply put, I paid $29.95 cuz I think this is the best forum/site/projection set/fantasy theory available on the internt.

I doubt that a reasonable platinum subscriber would be upset if a small percentage of platinum content was discussed on the free forums. Granted (and I work retail) not every customer is reasonable, but you'll never win if you try to please everyone. Its not like the full projection sets, value calculators and methodology articles behing it all are being posted, its merely small details within each.
I don't think this is the issue. I think the issue is to protect MB's proprietary information. I really don't care where I discuss things but I don't have a stake from the provider side. I want to be able to discuss things that are for paying customers without having to worry if I'm letting too much out of the bag and having Todd or Gary spend time policing what's being said.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#15 Post by Todd Zola »

I'm actually less concerned about the proprietary information than "specific fantasy nuggets" about specific players -- mainly because we are gearing away from proprietary and more into open source. I'm not saying we won't have our own intellectual property, just not sure the theories and philosophies need to behind the firewall.

alleyoops
Major League All-Star

#16 Post by alleyoops »

Todd Zola wrote:
alleyoops wrote:Of course, another solution would be to not have any "free" subscribers. Maybe offer a free trial membership, without access to some of the main content, expiring in 30 days or so?
Now you have totally lost me -- not have any free subscribers but give them access to the paid content for free for one month? You can sign up on Feb 28, get stuff for free for 1 month, do your drafts and say good-bye, I don't see that as a solution.
What I meant, but didn't state very well, was to offer a 30-day free membership which would have access to the forums, but not the Platinum tools. That would allow folks who are curious or interested in the site and its products to get a feel for the site, without giving away the store. At the end of the 30 days, they'd have to buy or lose access.

I think some, possibly many or most of the sites which offer the kind of content you do, are only paid. I know BBHQ is. That would certainly solve the problem under discussion. It may not be the best strategy right now, though, as I know you're trying to build/rebuild the site, and want as many folks as possible to find you.

cwk1963

#17 Post by cwk1963 »

Todd Zola wrote:I'm actually less concerned about the proprietary information than "specific fantasy nuggets" about specific players -- mainly because we are gearing away from proprietary and more into open source. I'm not saying we won't have our own intellectual property, just not sure the theories and philosophies need to behind the firewall.
That's what I was talking about. You've mentioned that your work and theories have been made public in other venues.

Kstan
Triple-A
Preferred Style: 5x5 Keeper AL only

#18 Post by Kstan »

Todd Zola wrote:Keep the cards and letters coming --- I have a thought, but want to talk with Gary first.
I am more concerned that MB be a viable self sustaining business venture that I can leverage as a paying customer. If that means no free access I am 110% behind that. What I dont want is the replay of FantasyBaseball.com. What a joke/disaster that site is. It didnt matter what content FB.com had this year I wasnt going back. Here's to a simple, viable MB.com venture!!!
Kstan
5x5 Keeper AL only

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#19 Post by Todd Zola »

We basically have this resolved, I will post some guidelines tomorrow.

JP is better at explaining this than I am, but at the heart of the issue is we are attempting to meld two distinct Internet business models to get the best of both worlds.

The pay model of yesteryear is being replaced by the free, traffic driven model of today.

We humbly feel we have earned the right to charge a fee for some of our information that we have taken some years to develop and great care in presenting.

On the other hand, we realize the free-flow of information is not only integral to improving our product, it is what we enjoy on a personal level.

At the middle is that I am obstinate enough to believe we can make the hybrid work.

The forums will remain completely free. Soon, we will post guidelines with respect to what is "acceptable". Quite frankly, the price point is not high enough to concern ourselves primarily with those wanting 20 names from us that we like or don't like more than someone else.

JP Kastner

#20 Post by JP Kastner »

Todd is correct. On a set of mustard smeared napkins at an Arizona Fall League game, this agreement was made between Lawr Michaels and Todd. Lawr would provide the server and his primary technical resource in return for the web hits on the forum.

Basically the web hits pay for servers. The primary technical resource? He performs miracles and lives off the energy in the fantasy baseball world. :lol:

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#21 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

In the issue of full disclosure, this is a rant. I am probably going to piss some people off with this response - so I'll tell you right now - if i do? Tough.

I am tired of "fantasy baseball owners" who don't have the courage of their own convictions and need either someone to either bail them out or blame something on. In looking at a lot of last year's premium threads, they seemed to look a lot like this format;

"Todd/Jason/Perry/Gary/Rob - please help me. I am in a 20 team Yayhoo mixed hybrid keeper h2h league with contract status dependent upon player height - standard 9x9 scoring with points deducted for fielding, called third strikes, throws over to first and deterioration in range factor. Who should I start this week? I am in 9th place but only .6125 points behind the team in 7th. (The top three places finish in the money, which this year we'll be paying off in yuan). Should I start the third catcher for Cincy or the 11th member of the Arizona pitching staff - keeping in mind that I may need a cushion for our league's inning quota in September. My opponent is the first place team and they are strong in EVERYTHING! Thanks for your help - and I'll be asking you about my lineup next week as well ...and the week after that ....and the week after that ...and they'll tell two friends ... and THEY'LL tell two friends ...and so on ... and so on."

These are the types who use "premium forums" as "fantasy hotlines" figuring these guys should pretty much be on call for me because I paid for the privilege regardless of how I may burn them out. After all, I paid $39.95 for MY competitive advantage!
Is that how I get enjoyment out of this - by trying to get some expert to make all my roster moves for me and then taking credit when they work and pitching a bitch when they don't?

I am not a big believer in premium forums - l do believe in the benefit of proprietary information and that the creators of same have the right to some profit (as I stated once upon a time on the other boards). To me, the way this is set up is just fine. I can see people wanting to pick the brains of experts - but that's what the premium downloads are supposed to accomplish - no? I would believe that Todd, Gary, J.P. et al can discuss issues and be the best judges of how far to go regarding the potential disclosure of premium content in the open forum. If they were to give it all away in the open forum, I think all of the premium subscribers may have an issue with that - but I personally can't see where a few forays into such territory for the sake of encouraging debate by the mods based on their own experience and judgment harms the premium subscribers.

End of rant.
Last edited by da_big_kid_94 on February 4th, 2009, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#22 Post by viper »

Part of me agrees and part says "who cares". No part of me says "you are wrong". I find the key is to have specific forum areas for these types of questions. This way the forums you and I want to read can be read and those we are not interested in can be ignored.

Each time I go to the Forums, I click on the "view active topics" link. It lets me know any and all forums that have had postings since I last looked at it. I am not at all interetsed in keeper leagues or trade advice. What I do is click on that forum which undoes the indicator but then I immediately page back. The indicator stays on until you hit "view active topics" again but after getting rid of these references, I am left with the Forums I read.

This process keeps those types of posts you mentioned from even being read by me. Like you, I have my own opinions. I want a site to teach me how to make decisions and not make them for me. I admit I have asked on specific situations in the online portion last year but it was more for confirmation of somethng I was or was not going to do. I cannot recall my mind being changed based on the response. I don't like to post those things. I will post questions where I am truly interested in opinions especially in the area of drafting -such as my Wieters delima.

I have no problem with your rant but I doiubt if things will change. We all view the "pay" concept differently and we all want different "services". I do feel that you cannot blame a site if their advice went south for the winter.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

deansdaddy

#23 Post by deansdaddy »

I don't have a real strong opinion either way on this subject - but really don't have a problem with free access to the boards.

Maybe a "solution" would be to add some privileges for Platinum members that are not really based on information. Perhaps only Platinum members can participate in Mastersball sponsored Mock Drafts. Maybe Mastersball can "sponsor" or "moderate" a couple of on-line leagues that you would need to be a Platinum member to participate in. Perhaps a monthly or bi-weekly Platinum newsletter would be nice. I think that there are many ways to add value to that Platinum membership that go beyond information and create a more communal atmosphere that would give members something beyond the projections.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#24 Post by Todd Zola »

We're starting to branch into a bunch of different sub-topics here, but that's good as the forums are going to be a focal point of the site, hence it is integral they are "done right."

In no particular order, some follow-up comments---

1. At least at this point, we won't be having them, but there are multiple potential uses for a subscriber forum, some are:

a. a place to discuss subscriber content
b. a place to get direct advice from the staff
c. a place to have some discussion away from some of the shenanigans that sometimes pollute public forums

For the record, if we added a subscriber forum, it would have been for a and solely a. While Gary and I will address questions as we can, part of this new model is not going to be a guaranteed response to any and all questions. Instead we aim to build a community diverse enough to have no question go unanswered. As for c, which was the original reason we went to a subscriber forum on the old site, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, but do everything in our power not to foster an environment that makes it necessary.

2. We fully realize we may need to do something about the forum set-up to facilitate posting, knowing where to post and knowing where to go to read the discussions that interest you the most. This is a work-in-progress. This is in all likelihood not the final draft of how the forums will be arranged, in fact I can sy with certainty it is not the final arrangement.

3. While there is nothing wrong with those that seek advice on managing their teams, making moves, etc., at least as presently constituted, this is not a service, paid or free, that we can focus upon, nor want to focus upon. Again, we hope to develop a community to assist in this aspect.

Please continue to comment, as I said, the forums are going to be the meat and potatoes of the site, let's do what we can to make them as great as possible.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#25 Post by Todd Zola »

deansdaddy wrote:I don't have a real strong opinion either way on this subject - but really don't have a problem with free access to the boards.

Maybe a "solution" would be to add some privileges for Platinum members that are not really based on information. Perhaps only Platinum members can participate in Mastersball sponsored Mock Drafts.
Actually working on this now with our friends at Mock Draft Central
deansdaddy wrote:Maybe Mastersball can "sponsor" or "moderate" a couple of on-line leagues that you would need to be a Platinum member to participate in.
2 for 2 -- working on this with www.onroto.com to host.
deansdaddy wrote:Perhaps a monthly or bi-weekly Platinum newsletter would be nice. I think that there are many ways to add value to that Platinum membership that go beyond information and create a more communal atmosphere that would give members something beyond the projections.
Present plan is for a free nightly newsletter, but we can consider an occasional Platinum only special edition, though having occasional chats for Platinum members is under strong consideration. We could then post the transcript, but the idea would be the subscribers had dibs on asking the questions.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#26 Post by Todd Zola »

I guess something else that needs to be said is we are admittedly, at least for now, a niche or boutique site and not a 1-stop shopping mall. I think this needs to be considered as we make decisions.

viper
Hall of Famer

#27 Post by viper »

one thing is please keep the home page the way it is. I find it as neat and uncluttered as any there are. You can quickly get to where you want to be without having to read through endless trash or scroll down for what you want. I even like the color scheme. I'm sure it could be enhanced with multiple bells & whistles get please recall the famous motto -

Keep it simple stupid.

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

#28 Post by Guest »

Just so long as everyone realizes we're really working hard here to make this as good an experience as possible for everyones time and maximize everyone's time and dollar spent, we'll get to the right place.

uharchmajor

#29 Post by uharchmajor »

Todd Zola wrote:1. At least at this point, we won't be having them, but there are multiple potential uses for a subscriber forum, some are:

a. a place to discuss subscriber content
b. a place to get direct advice from the staff
c. a place to have some discussion away from some of the shenanigans that sometimes pollute public forums
I know part of my original post was asking about B, but it was more curiosity because I was never a part of it in the past MB forum. Mostly my questions were about A. I can understand we might get better discussions if it were open to the public, but I want to make sure what is paid for stays at least somewhat secure. If one person pays for the extras and asks a lot of questions, I could have saved the money and probably got most of the content via the discussion.

Was also meant to lead to a follow up question regarding to what extent the subscription information can be quoted. If I have a question about a player or a projection, can I quote MB's projection then ask the questions or leave it open for debate on the forums? What about PAUL or the articles?

Todd Zola wrote:Instead we aim to build a community diverse enough to have no question go unanswered.
This is one thing I was very thankful for on the old site. With guys like Bod, kid, and cwk along with the staff you most surely got a response to any question. A lot of my questions tend to be geared towards 2-3 years down the road, which typically limits the number of responses.

Sorry for the quick response, but work as been a killer lately.

Tig

#30 Post by Tig »

Sorry to post here, still trying to learn to navigate the site correctly, but I was wondering if you could tell me where you'd have Bobby Abreu on your auction tiers value, assuming he signs/stays in the AL for AL 5x5?

I realize this is a tough call, as his value would probably be higher in say a White Sox uniform than a Mariners uniform based on stadiums, etc.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#31 Post by Todd Zola »

Tig wrote:Sorry to post here, still trying to learn to navigate the site correctly, but I was wondering if you could tell me where you'd have Bobby Abreu on your auction tiers value, assuming he signs/stays in the AL for AL 5x5?

I realize this is a tough call, as his value would probably be higher in say a White Sox uniform than a Mariners uniform based on stadiums, etc.
Please feel free to post this as a separate question in the general forum and I will be happy to explain how to handle Abreu and all free agents until they sign.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#32 Post by Todd Zola »

uharchmajor wrote:
Was also meant to lead to a follow up question regarding to what extent the subscription information can be quoted. If I have a question about a player or a projection, can I quote MB's projection then ask the questions or leave it open for debate on the forums? What about PAUL or the articles?
I'm working on some posting guidelines, we'll have this addressed soon.

50 Desert Eagles

#33 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Well IMO, Big kid there sounds just like his name, if there are rants, it should be the moderator saying what goes and what don't. I have been to probably 50 different forums/expert sites for fantasy sports over the past few years. I see some really stupid questions about lineups/trades, some get answers, some don't. I will say I have been on Mastersball for a little over a month and completed the mock draft(thats the only reason I got on Masterball) and found a very good helpful group. I have chatted to Todd on a few different levels and he always responds and is helpful, I have talked to some of the users and most of them have experience and share information(Thanks again Drapes!). However, did I buy the package.....nope! Why? Well first, I am the only lowely income and with 5 in the family, money is not an option for much. In the past I have bought access to sites that give you the same information as 50 different free fly by night sights. Do I think this site is that way? NOPE! I have seen a lot of hardwork and details in just the month on here, one thing for the kid to rememeber is, a lot of us started out in fantasy sports asking the same type of stupid questions until we had a clue of what we were doing. I know my first year, I believed people in the league that told me after 2-3 weeks into the season, Soriano was washed up so I better trade him for this new YOUNG stud that was hitting .350.........Anyway, maybe we need a da_big_baby forum for rants :lol:

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#34 Post by Todd Zola »

Everybody is allowed a opinion -- what I will not allow is personal shots.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#35 Post by Todd Zola »

Maybe I need to supply a little history for those new to the site.

At the original Mastersball, primarily as a marketing tool, we promised a staff response to EVERY QUESTION in a dedicated platinum board. So the staff was "forced" to answer all questions. No problem, that's what we are there for and that's what we promised. But there were 3 unexpected offshoots from this. First, the general discussion on the Platinum board died as it became "Manage my team" A question was asked, we answered, end of discussion. Second, because we spent so much time answering questions on the paid board, we had no time to frequent the free one and that discussion suffered. Third, and this is probably just me, being on the board affected the quality and quantity of my other site content.

50 Desert Eagles

#36 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

1,000 appologies!! :oops:

viper
Hall of Famer

#37 Post by viper »

I don't see where any apologies are really needed.

This has got to be one of the best forum there is. I read BBHQ periodically but i don't see this lebel of discussion on such a wide variety of topics. The new FantasyBaseball free forum is pretty much deviod of activity. I'm actually tracking the activity there. In the past three weeks there have been under 100 total posts. This is hardly a fair activity but I was wondering if I felt it was worth subscribing. The answer is a clear-cut 'no". The only articles I have read and enjoyed are those by Drapes. I'm glad they are free.

This place is teeming with activity. Every forum has activity and lots of it. The only issue is how and where can we can specific questions of projections. I was actually reluctant to ask why Abreu wasn't on the MLB tiers. It is not like he isn't going to play somewhere in some league. Todd did address that issue - he pretty much said he had an early senior moment. Right now projections are not refined as too many free agents are still out there that will impact multiple players. But as spring training gets underway and final signings occur, projections will be firmed up. Then the question many of us have will "need" to be addressed and I'm still not sure how we can do that. Time is on Todd & Gary's side right now but time is a fleeting commodity.

Now I do think I have an apology to make. I feel I have shortchanged Gary and all his efforts. If Todd was able to do everything we seem to attribute to him, he would need to be cloned. I guess because I have met Todd, had subs with him, attended those Arizona League games with him, and seen him at the Washington area First Pitch forum, he is the face of Mastersball. All things, both good and bad, get attributed to him. That's wrong. to Gary, I do apologize. And my guess is that are several others who I owe the same apology - that said, I'm sure I will continue posting as if this site was all Todds.

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

#38 Post by Guest »

None needed, Todd is the heart and soul of this operation, with tremendous help and expertise from JP.

I'm delighted to pitch in where I can.

And thanks for your words about the site, we're going to keep growing this, and it's going to be through the open exchange of ideas and theories we hopefully cultivate here.

freddiebeach
Major League Elite
Preferred Style: 5x5 roto

#39 Post by freddiebeach »

I am fairly new to fantasy baseball and I spent the past few years searching for active boards and I am so glad I came across these forums. I take my fantasy sports fairly seriuously and I am glad to pay for the extra edge at times. For me, though, the forums shouldn't have two differently levels. For the record Iam a paid member and have no problem with the free flow of information. Todd, Gary, et al. keep up the great work. You and your community members have made me a loyal fan for years to come.
Tim Comeau
Mactaquac Marauders