Scotty Pods

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
AllstonRockCity

Scotty Pods

#1 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Looks like Toronto has that extra stick that Todd was saying they needed.

I doubt this will seriously effect any PT projections for any of the Blue Jays current hitters. right? Although Pods can actually play the field which is nice.

But, since Pods has been long rumored to be an Angel, I would think that Bourjos will be seeing a big bump in ABs since he now looks like the everyday LF/CF. correct??

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Scotty Pods

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

BLUE JAYS -- Encarnacion and Patterson took a hit. We can't predict injuries, but EE can get those back if any number of players get hurt. As can Patterson, but first dibs go to EE.

ANGELS -- I have been leaving 75% empty playing time at DH, which I finally broke down and filled. Bourjos got a big bump, Abreu went to DH but the key, and this is part speculation, part common sense is I gave Hank Conger enough at bats to make him definitely relevant in AL only and even worth a flier in mixed leagues. I have said many times I prefer to stick with the fantasy side of things and not get too involved with the "real" baseball stuff, but I just have to shake my head and wonder WTF the Angels are thinking, and I was okay with the Wells acquisition.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

AllstonRockCity

#3 Post by AllstonRockCity »

Todd Zola wrote: I have said many times I prefer to stick with the fantasy side of things and not get too involved with the "real" baseball stuff, but I just have to shake my head and wonder WTF the Angels are thinking, and I was okay with the Wells acquisition.
Oh, it's not that bad for LA.

It's not a stretch to say the Mariners are not winning the West. So, right there LA has a 33% chance of making the postseason.

They have what appears to be the best rotation in their division.

If they don't have the best bullpen in the division, they have the 2nd best (OAK)

TEX has the best lineup in the division but I think I'd rather have LA's than OAK's. So, they have the 2nd best lineup.

Looking at LA outside of the context of their division:

C - Wilson/Mathis/Conger - If Conger can handle the defensive aspect of the position, he could be a big asset offensively
1B - Morales - IMHO a legit MVP candidate (health provided, but LAA can't do anything about that)
2B - Kendrick/Callaspo - both provide league average to slightly above production for the position
SS - Aybar/Izturis - this tandem has been working fine for LA for a few year and neither are old enough to have age become a concern
3B - Wood/Callaspo - OK, this could be a problem
OF - Bourjos, Wells, Hunter - is this the best defensive OF in baseball?? I can't think of a better one right now (BOS??- but if Jacoby and Drew are hurt at the same time, not so much). They have great pitching and a fantastic defensive OF (3 CF's) which helps with run prevention. Offensively Wells and Hunter are AllStar caliber players and Bourjos has tons of potential.
DH - Abreu - fresher legs can only help extend the gas that is still left in his tank - again AllStar Caliber offense

Yes, they could be playing 3 'kids' on any given day (Wood, Conger, Bourjos) but they have enough moving pieces to hide Wood or Bourjos if they become a liability, as long as they both don't become one at the same time.

Napoli was not known for his D, so they had to be happy with what they had at the position to trade him, as Scioscia values D highly, especially at his former position.

I think its an awfully close race in the West this year and could easily see LA in the postseason.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

All I am saying is they have all this and still had an available lineup spot for an upgrade and the finances to get it done and they never did it. No argument they are definitely in the hunt. They could have been the favorites is all.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

AllstonRockCity

#5 Post by AllstonRockCity »

I agree with what you are saying to a degree.

I guess the bush that I was beating around is: Why bother? when you already have a 3 team division and you have the best pitching and defense how much are your chances of making the postseason going to increase? What is your ROI of say 8 million a year going to get you? a 5% increase?? not worth it. If you can re-build and compete at the same time, why not??

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

1) I don't look at ROI. I look at bettering my chance to win.

But, as a friend of mine once told me at another friend's bachelor party after I bought two rounds in a row (what can I say, I was thirsty) -- The reason you never have any money is because when you do have it, you spend it.

Truer words were never spoken.

2) Factor in playoff revenue and recalculate the ROI.

AllstonRockCity

#7 Post by AllstonRockCity »

I'm not actually calculating ROI, I don't even know how. That's not my bag baby.

I'm just saying I can understand their 'complacency'. If you think you've got a 40% chance to make the playoffs and you think that adding another piece only gets you to 45%, is that really worth it.

It's like the Patriots a few years back (before they got Moss and after they lost Branch) when they had that 'horrible' receiving corps. All the fans were pissed cuz Tom didn't have anyone to throw to. But if you looked at the division, it didn't matter cuz all the other teams were ass. So, they made it to the AFC championship game, and had a 28 pt lead at halftime. They didn't make the SuperBowl, but cam within 3 points of making it. All with that 'horrible' receiving corps. They felt it wasn't worth the resources to bring in another receiver and rolled with what they had, and it worked.

And really when you get right down to it, once Crawford and Beltre eluded them, were there really and difference makers out there?

If Scotty Podsednik is all that stands between you and the W.S., then I think you can reasonably conclude that you can at least make the playoffs without him.

Also, they still have the spot and the resources to acquire another piece mid-season when their needs will be much clearer to them. Maybe they need a 3B, maybe its a MI, maybe its a C or an OF, but they don't know which yet. Come June, they will.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

I understand it. I just don't agree with it is all.

Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: Rotisserie Auction

#9 Post by Tampa Bob »

The thing is, they can pick someone up on June-August that makes a difference. The rush to do it now isn't the same for LA as it will be for me.

btw, the art of buying rounds has been lost on the younger generation.
10 team AL only. 4x4 with strikeouts. No drops without IL or Minors. Can keep 5 up to 3 years if $10 or under.
C: D. Jansen - $3, Y. Diaz - N/A 1B: V. Guerrero - $1 2B: J. Polanco - $4 SS: B. Witt - $1 3B: A. Bregman - $22
CR: E. Duran - $1, UT: J. Westberg - N/A
OF: K. Tucker - $1, J. Rodriguez - $1, E. Oliveras - $1, J. Kelenic - $3, M. Vierling - N/A.
SP: K. Maeta - N/A, T. Skubal - N/A, G. Cole - $46, Z. Eflin - $3, C. Sale - N/A, J. Montgomery - N/A

RP: K. Jansen - $23, C. Holmes - $27.
Minors: G. Rodriguez, A. Volpe, K. Manzardo, B. Lee, C. DeLauter

special k
Major League Veteran

#10 Post by special k »

I'm skeptical of any argument that assumes Vernon Wells provides all-star offense.

Skin Blues
Major League Regular

#11 Post by Skin Blues »

Plantar fasciitis has returned; out indefinitely. Please God, do not let this mean Corey Patterson makes the team.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/baseba ... 56806.html

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#12 Post by Todd Zola »

Skin Blues wrote:Plantar fasciitis has returned; out indefinitely. Please God, do not let this mean Corey Patterson makes the team.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/baseba ... 56806.html
Saw this. We're going to start our regular Thursday updates this Thursday, so I did not adjust yet but may do so later in the week. I did include it in the profile, which are right now with the checkers and will be posted early tomorrow evening. well hitting anyway -- this time next week for the arms.

Trav The Ump

#13 Post by Trav The Ump »

To hijack this back to the original thread...word is Pods has got a walking boot on and has Plantar Fasciatis (spelling?). I had a season where Jay Buhner had that, not good. Speed guys don't need a muscle split in the middle of their foot.

Although, last two seasons he has had very positive value in only leagues.

AllstonRockCity

#14 Post by AllstonRockCity »

special k wrote:I'm skeptical of any argument that assumes Vernon Wells provides all-star offense.
Vernon Wells has been an All-Star 3 times (2003,2006,2010). Whether you think he will be one this year is not really the point. He is that caliber of player and that is undeniable.

special k
Major League Veteran

#15 Post by special k »

Alston sorry I was snarky in my late evening post.
Still, I owned him in 2008 and 2009 (one reason for my bitterness re: Wells), and he was not an all-star-caliber performer. And as you noted, he was an all-star once since 2006; I would not call that predictive going forward.

Back to Scotty, my daughter, a high school and then college athlete, had plantar fasciitis. It slowed her for a year and a half, and she missed an entire season. Others with the same problem I have known personally have experienced similar results. It's possible Podsednik's case is milder, but I'll be steering clear of him.