Stratagy change?

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
50 Desert Eagles

Stratagy change?

#1 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

My stratagy has always been simple. Get the best player availabe to fit my needs and watch for players to slip thru the cracks. So far is has been kind to me, two seasons in the book, two top five finishes.(3rd and 4th) But I see the need for improvement, sure I get most my knowledge from this site and I will still continue to do that, yet I read an article with a very interesting method. For the past two seasons I bully hitting when I draft, usually wait and wait to take sp's Then try to get the best of what is out there and then look for saves and holds in the latter rounds. The stratagy though COULD depend a lot on your league. My league is 20 team, mixed 7X7 with each team having four keepers to start. No rules on keepers as far as who/what. From what I gather so far this season it's the same though usually around 55 bats-25 sp's kept. One surprise is so far I don't see any RP's being kept, last season five were kept. Usually I dont focus on saves though. My four keepers this season is Teix-Pedroia-Vmart-Jeter(I have never kept a Catcher before, but he is what I got so far) Ok back to my stratagy---First of all, just like a money auction draft, all the top tier sp's are already gone, well MOST of them, some usually slip thru the cracks, so snagging top sp's are slim. I read an article where a guy compared top sp's like Timmy and Roy to a combo of players such as Soria and Cueto or Brian Wilson and Danny Hudson. Basically, the point is to draft a little later in the game and get a few top tier rp's that are cheaper then top tier sp's and pair them with decent strikeout sp's, when you lay out the numbers, you are really getting equal or very close value in all the catagories across the board, except your getting saves as well. I thought about running with this with a slight twist. Holds is one of our catagories, so I could draft two solid rp's for saves and one or two for holds as well that gets k's and pair with sp's that range from 140-180 k's. I might miss out on one catagory which is Quailty starts, but with getting solid hitters first then reaching in rounds for these type of guys for my pitchers, it might work out......thoughts? Ideas? Am I overthinking?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Stratagy change?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Not for nothing, but I have talked about doing that with relief pitchers for years including just last week on a front page piece.

Have you read the essays I wrote on drafting pitching the last couple of weeks?

http://www.mastersball.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=70&

http://www.mastersball.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=70&

The first discusses why you should no longer wait for pitching, the second suggests a method to use.

You don't have to follow the method to a tee, but the overriding concept addresses exactly what you describe.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

50 Desert Eagles

#3 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Thanks....I got a name for it....ToZo Stratagy.......I will admit though I saw the articles, but until just the other day I really felt my method of just doing what I have been doing was good enough, but the more I learn, the more I learn I need to learn more....eh or something like that. :lol:

Something though I was looking for was major flaws with this type of plan really...it seems so simple, yet very effective if its pulled off correctly. Its like you get your hitting still, but have a easy way to make good on manage pitching with just taking stabs in the dark on which SP might have a good season...aka Joel Pinero....

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

nah, ToZo won't cut it.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Andy

#5 Post by Andy »

Bodz used to do an "Ace Middle Reliever Strategy" piece (think it was called that). The theory was that twinning two ace MRs would give you Cy-worthy stats for much less dollars.

Captain Hook

#6 Post by Captain Hook »

50 Desert Eagles wrote:Thanks....I got a name for it....ToZo Stratagy.......I will admit though I saw the articles, but until just the other day I really felt my method of just doing what I have been doing was good enough, but the more I learn, the more I learn I need to learn more....eh or something like that. :lol:
As in many pursuits where there is a limitless sea of knowledge and application, the key is to realize........................"the more you know, the more you know you don't know"

I first really learned that when I was playing a lot of tournament bridge

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

Just as you think you know the answer, they change the question.

Perhaps my biggest pet peeve with my fellow industry pundits is they are still providing answers to questions apropos a few years ago, instead of trying to figure out the new questions and their corresponding answers.

50 Desert Eagles

#8 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Ouch, my head is pounding now after reading these responses, I have the same feeling that STL has when they sit down with Pujols to work on that uhhhhhh 10 yr contract.

#9 Post by Guest »

My stratagy has always been simple. Get the best player availabe to fit my needs and watch for players to slip thru the cracks. So far is has been kind to me, two seasons in the book, two top five finishes.(3rd and 4th)
Lets start simple - did the strategy work or didn't it? That is, do you feel your lack of first place finishes was due to picking the wrong guys or a strategic issue?
But I see the need for improvement, sure I get most my knowledge from this site and I will still continue to do that, yet I read an article with a very interesting method.
What issue with your drafting did the article address??
For the past two seasons I bully hitting when I draft, usually wait and wait to take sp's Then try to get the best of what is out there and then look for saves and holds in the latter rounds.
Pretty common strategy, so long as you know what you're doing drafting pitching (looking for skills more than names and trying to stay away from guys who will destroy your ratios)
The stratagy though COULD depend a lot on your league. My league is 20 team, mixed 7X7 with each team having four keepers to start. No rules on keepers as far as who/what. From what I gather so far this season it's the same though usually around 55 bats-25 sp's kept. One surprise is so far I don't see any RP's being kept, last season five were kept. Usually I dont focus on saves though. My four keepers this season is Teix-Pedroia-Vmart-Jeter(I have never kept a Catcher before, but he is what I got so far)
The best news about your league format is that there isn't remotely a magazine or source that can properly value players for a league like this. So using our valuation methodology springs you ahead of anyone who's relying on public sources of info, just because of the challenge with the format.
Ok back to my stratagy---First of all, just like a money auction draft, all the top tier sp's are already gone, well MOST of them, some usually slip thru the cracks, so snagging top sp's are slim. I read an article where a guy compared top sp's like Timmy and Roy to a combo of players such as Soria and Cueto or Brian Wilson and Danny Hudson. Basically, the point is to draft a little later in the game and get a few top tier rp's that are cheaper then top tier sp's and pair them with decent strikeout sp's, when you lay out the numbers, you are really getting equal or very close value in all the catagories across the board, except your getting saves as well.
Sure thing, but you have to really outline the pitchers you want in that scenario, because in essence you are gambling with the pitchers you "need" to get later. The John Danks types of pitchers don't help if you need K's, even though their ratios are good. But yes, you can wait, grab some solid closers a little later and then load up with high K upside starters later.

The real question is, how early are you willing to reach on a closer to make sure you get an ace closer? Once you get the mid-range closers with questionable ratios, the plan goes out the window. So you need to be a round early on closers. Not a bad thing necessarily, just need to be aware.
I thought about running with this with a slight twist. Holds is one of our catagories, so I could draft two solid rp's for saves and one or two for holds as well that gets k's and pair with sp's that range from 140-180 k's. I might miss out on one catagory which is Quailty starts, but with getting solid hitters first then reaching in rounds for these type of guys for my pitchers, it might work out......thoughts? Ideas? Am I overthinking?
Not overthinking at all - and the holds is easy, you can make them your last 2 picks. But they hurt you on Ks pretty bad. Just put together a prospective team based on your analysis and see where it all falls out.

rotonut

#10 Post by rotonut »

Todd Zola wrote:nah, ToZo won't cut it.
What about the QTIP (Quantify Tiers In Pitching) Strategy?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#11 Post by Todd Zola »

rotonut wrote:
Better, but not there yet.

rotonut

#12 Post by rotonut »

Todd Zola wrote:
rotonut wrote:
Better, but not there yet.
League Minimum Number Of Pitching Quality Required Strategy by Todd (a/k/a LMNOPQRST)

or, more simply,

Pitching Quality Required Strategy by Todd (a/k/a PQRST)

rotonut

#13 Post by rotonut »

PDQ Strategy

Pitching Demands Quality

Why, oh why, am I spending so much time thinking about this?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Todd Zola »

Not for nothing, but these are too close to Baseball HQ's PQS.

rotonut

#15 Post by rotonut »

Todd Zola wrote:Not for nothing, but these are too close to Baseball HQ's PQS.
So I guess I should start lower in the alphabet?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#16 Post by Todd Zola »

rotonut wrote:
I wish DTPNTR (Draft the Pitcher, not the round) had a couple of vowels.

If "26" were the magic number for everyone, we could play off of that.

rotonut

#17 Post by rotonut »

Todd Zola wrote:
rotonut wrote:
I wish DTPNTR (Draft the Pitcher, not the round) had a couple of vowels.

If "26" were the magic number for everyone, we could play off of that.
I'm ashamed (or delighted, depending on your point of view) to say that had the EXACT same thoughts but couldn't put a coherent acronym together. We change "26" to "3" if we use fractions!

What about "26" is the NEW magic number?

rotonut

#18 Post by rotonut »

Or "26 is the new 3" as a take-off of the "Green is the new Black" catch phrase.

Andy

#19 Post by Andy »

Ah just call it the p26 theory.

Doesn't really matter.

Hell, you could call it "Bob".

:)

rotonut

#20 Post by rotonut »

Andy wrote:Ah just call it the p26 theory.

Doesn't really matter.

Hell, you could call it "Bob".

:)
Don't underestimate the power of the catch phrase!!! :ugeek:

AllstonRockCity

#21 Post by AllstonRockCity »

It's also like golf in that the lower score is better.

So we've got a magic number (26), golf, pitchers, tiers, slots, scores.

I've already submitted one dud to Todd.

Let's name this thing people!!

The "Under Par" method

STP26 = Scoring Tiered Pitchers and the magic number (though this might make people think 26 is always the magic number)

The PiTS = PItching Tier Score - I like this one best

And then we all get to say, "that method is the Pits!!" :lol:

50 Desert Eagles

#22 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

I think it should be named for its creator...in this case Todd.....that's why I like the ToZo, who says it REALLY has to mean anything by the letters....Then if/when it goes wrong, you can blame uhhhhhhhhhh the guy that its named after :P

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#23 Post by Todd Zola »

If you guys show this much enthusiasm for this, I can't wait to unveil a real contest we will be sponsoring.

Just hope forum poster "Andy" doesn't find out. He cleaned up last time we did it.

Okay, I'll give you a hint....

Shadow Draft.

8-)

rotonut

#24 Post by rotonut »

Todd Zola wrote: Shadow Draft.
Hmmmmm.... only the Shadow knows. Whatever it is, I'm all in!

rotonut

#25 Post by rotonut »

Conventional wisdom says that hitters have their break-out year at age 27. Well... we can use the number 26 to signify the breakout number for pitchers... So... I give you... Hitters at 27: Pitchers at 26

Now, with the help of Wikipedia, one of the following has to be a winner...

There are 26 cards in half a deck of a cards... Half a deck of pitchers (or, for a beer reference... Half a Pitcher)

A rhombicuboctahedron has 26 sides, thus... The Rhombicuboctahedron Pitching Theorem

The human foot and ankle has 26 bones... The Curt Schilling Bloody Sock Pitching Strategy

For those who are Jewish, 26 is the gematric number of the name of the God of Israel YHWH or Yahweh... Pitching? OMG!

The atomic number of Iron is 26, thus... Pitching Iron (see what I did here.... I incorporated the atomic number 26 with a golfing reference)

Okay... I'm tapped out (at least for today)!!!

Andrew

dnm963
Triple-A
Preferred Style: roto 5x5

#26 Post by dnm963 »

How about a play on words from The Stranglers song "96 Tears", just "26 Teirs" if you hit $26 teirs you won't be shedding any tears ;)
Always make'em think you are smarter than you are, but never let them know how smart you really are.
League is a 15 team,$260 draft cap, mixed auction with 10 NL,10 AL teams to draft from(rockies, Astros, Cubs, Marlins, Phillies,Brewers, Rangers, Rays, Balt, and KC CANNOT DRAFT FROM). 5 cat. standard scoring except use IP in place of Ks.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#27 Post by Todd Zola »

dnm963 wrote:How about a play on words from The Stranglers song "96 Tears", just "26 Teirs" if you hit $26 teirs you won't be shedding any tears ;)
We may have a winner --

but dnm963, you are showing your age :)

The tune was original recorded by ? and the Mysterians in the early 1960s and is in my IPod rotation, which shows my age :)

50 Desert Eagles

#28 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Todd Zola wrote:The tune was original recorded by ? and the Mysterians in the early 1960s and is in my IPod rotation, which shows my age :)

IPOD? I thought guys your age still used vinyl and 8 tracks. Atleast I can come in this forum and feel a bit younger at times. Quick Todd look out your window, I think them damn kids are on it!

rotonut

#29 Post by rotonut »

Moving forward to this century (wink), we can use the Springsteen song "41 Shots" and call it "26 Shots".

Or, back to old school and call it "26 Skidoo".

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#30 Post by Todd Zola »

rotonut wrote:Moving forward to this century (wink), we can use the Springsteen song "41 Shots" and call it "26 Shots".

My sister is a huge Springsteen fan and I have spent the better part of my life kidding her about it so ixnay the ingsteenspray, sorry

50 Desert Eagles

#31 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

rotonut wrote:Moving forward to this century (wink), we can use the Springsteen song "41 Shots" and call it "26 Shots".

Sounds like someone drinks alone :lol:

Captain Hook

#32 Post by Captain Hook »

How about..................."Twenty Six Degrees of Preparation"