Well.....

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Well.....

#1 Post by Todd Zola »

What do you think about the new site design?
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Andy

Re: Well.....

#2 Post by Andy »

Better. Still looks a bit rough here and there but the homepage is definitely an improvement.

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#3 Post by viper »

The jury is still out. In a two day span, both Rotoworld and Mastersball made site changes. BBHQ, MLBTR, NFBC and THT are the other sites I visit daily. The NFBC is mostly for Doughboy articles. I didn't like Rotoworld's changes at first but you get used to them. Here at Mastersball, I think the changes are OK. I like to quickly see/find all new articles. By looking at an author's name, I can see their latest post/article. I think I can find the same stuff at the beginning of the home page but so far I do not think anyone has two new articles at the same time. This is something the Lawr does more than others. I'm glad the forum hasn't changed but I not sure if that may a "coming soon" moment.

I'd give it a B+ on looks. The A+ on content remains. And for me, content is the key.

I do see the Russian mafia has infiltrated the site.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

50 Desert Eagles

#4 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

I like it a lot better----yea odd Rotoworld changed theres like two days earlier. One and only complaint with mastersball is the freakin pop-ups on the site, yes yes I know how funding works, so I get it, but those are pains in the arse! I have to 100% agree though with Vipers, Content A++++ Now if we could get live advice DURING drafts, WOW wouldnt that be something..... :lol:

rotonut

#5 Post by rotonut »

Like the new layout better than the old. Think you can go to 2 columns rather than 1. Moving in the right direction though.

Love love love the article archive by author!

One glitch... the "print" icon does not function. This was an issue on the old site two, not so much that it didn't function, but that the print file was all right justified instead of left justified.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

Andy wrote:Better. Still looks a bit rough here and there but the homepage is definitely an improvement.
Where is here and there?
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

viper wrote:The jury is still out. In a two day span, both Rotoworld and Mastersball made site changes. BBHQ, MLBTR, NFBC and THT are the other sites I visit daily. The NFBC is mostly for Doughboy articles. I didn't like Rotoworld's changes at first but you get used to them. Here at Mastersball, I think the changes are OK. I like to quickly see/find all new articles. By looking at an author's name, I can see their latest post/article. I think I can find the same stuff at the beginning of the home page but so far I do not think anyone has two new articles at the same time. This is something the Lawr does more than others. I'm glad the forum hasn't changed but I not sure if that may a "coming soon" moment.

I'd give it a B+ on looks. The A+ on content remains. And for me, content is the key.

I do see the Russian mafia has infiltrated the site.
The most recent article is going to appear at the top of each column. We have a weekly schedule of titled articles that are in the center. Those of us that write two a week post them a few days apart, for instance my days are Tuesday and Thursday. We also have the Mastersblog, which is a blog with shorter, punchier offerings. There is no set schedule, we post as we see fit but Lawr obviously drives that. There too, the 5 most recent postings will be there, the most recent on top.

At the bottom, you can find the most recent pieces, either Mastersblog or weekly columns listed by author.

The board is not changing, that is 3rd party software.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

rotonut wrote:Like the new layout better than the old. Think you can go to 2 columns rather than 1. Moving in the right direction though.

One glitch... the "print" icon does not function. This was an issue on the old site two, not so much that it didn't function, but that the print file was all right justified instead of left justified.
Not sure what you mean by two columns rather than one but what you see is what you get.

To tell you the truth, we didn't even look at the print function. I can't promise anything, but we will put it on the list.

rotonut

#9 Post by rotonut »

Todd Zola wrote:
rotonut wrote:Like the new layout better than the old. Think you can go to 2 columns rather than 1. Moving in the right direction though.

Not sure what you mean by two columns rather than one but what you see is what you get.

To tell you the truth, we didn't even look at the print function. I can't promise anything, but we will put it on the list.
I mean that you have to scroll down pretty far to get the latest articles. There is also a lot of "white space" to the left. If you put in another column, you'll reduce the scrolling without it seeming so cluttered. I believe the old site had 3 columns. The left column could contain the "latest from Mastersblog" followed by the KFFL News Feed followed by the MB content on KFFL followed by the Fantasy Resources. The right column could contain the latest articles followed by the latest forum discussions followed by the Authors.

This would put all of the latest content on the top of the page (blog on the left, articles on the right) instead of having to scroll almost all the way down for the latest articles.

BTW... I did get the print function to work, but it is still right justified.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Todd Zola »

FWIW, the old site had 2 columns as well. They were equal in width. On this one, the left is smaller in width than the right.

I guess we are just going to have to give you a reason to scroll :)

rotonut

#11 Post by rotonut »

Like I needed another reason!!!

Andy

#12 Post by Andy »

Todd Zola wrote:
Andy wrote:Better. Still looks a bit rough here and there but the homepage is definitely an improvement.
Where is here and there?
Will have a look from home before posting. My work computer is notorious for making things look "rough".

brian
Major Leaguer

#13 Post by brian »

50 Desert Eagles wrote:I like it a lot better----yea odd Rotoworld changed theres like two days earlier. One and only complaint with mastersball is the freakin pop-ups on the site, yes yes I know how funding works, so I get it, but those are pains in the arse! I have to 100% agree though with Vipers, Content A++++ Now if we could get live advice DURING drafts, WOW wouldnt that be something..... :lol:
Thanks for the comments. Regarding popups, they are a necessary evil, as you note. However, there is a way around them. I use Firefox and the Google Toolbar and see none of them on this site.

It reminded me what a valuable capability popup blockers are when as part of our new site testing, I fired up an old vanilla copy of Internet Explorer yesterday. It was painful!
Brian Walton
mastersball.com

brian
Major Leaguer

#14 Post by brian »

Andy wrote:
Todd Zola wrote:
Where is here and there?
Will have a look from home before posting. My work computer is notorious for making things look "rough".
A good reminder for everyone is that some very old browsers are going to have problems with this (and many other sites). For example, I have an old copy of IE6 that I tested the new site against. The formatting of the home page is wacky.

I will post a more detailed browser compatibility list when compiled, but here is a basic view. You should be fine here with IE7+, any version of Chrome and Safari, and Firefox 3+.
Brian Walton
mastersball.com

50 Desert Eagles

#15 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

any version of Chrome and Safari, and Firefox 3+.[/quote]

OMG! We have a MAC user in our midst..... :lol: Yea, I know Firefox has some good features, but for some odd reason, MS plays will with IE, I am slightly forced to use IE daily though seeing as how I have to talk to MS a lot on the phone and when they remote to my system, they like to spurt(usually in a foreign language) when they see that firefox. Just couldn't resist a MAC remark when I saw there patented browsers mentioned......