Taking over a team in a unique league - where to go with it?

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
johnd2442

Taking over a team in a unique league - where to go with it?

#1 Post by johnd2442 »

I just took over a team, that isn't the greatest, and won't win anything this upcoming season, but has some promise.

The larger question is the league setup and how I should go forward with my strategy.

The league is 20 teams, mixed, with points based scoring. Here is the scoring setup:
HITTING:
Hit = 1
Run = 1
Single = 1
Double = 2
Triple = 3
Home Run = 5
Run Batted In = 1
Stolen Base = 3
Caught Stealing = -1
Walk = 1
Hit by Pitch = 1
Strike Out = -1
Grand Slam = 5
Hit For The Cycle = 10

PITCHING:
Win = 7
Loss = -4
Save = 10
Hold = 5
Blown Save = -5
Quality Start = 7
Earned Run = -1

Inning Pitched = 1
Strike Out = 2
Walks = -1
Complete Game = 5
Shutout = 5
No Hitter = 5
Perfect Game = 8
Balk = -1
Hit Batter = -1
Home Run = -1

The league is doing a slow auction right now, online with 10 players being put up at a time. I've downloaded the Mastersball projections, and that is a great help. But am I safe in assuming that the dollar projections have no bearing for points based leagues? Also, I'm very clueless in how to account for any type of inflation in the league regarding kept players. For example, with my team alone, i have 9 players under contract for a total of $91 in player salaries and i have $169 available for anywhere from 10-16 players. I'm not totally sure how to go forward in this draft besides adding a few dollars to each player for inflation. Very primitive and unscientific, but other than that, even though I know how much each team has left to spend and what positions they need, how to go forward.

Sorry for the rambling and non-sensical post. If this makes any sense however, I would greatly appreciate some input.

Tig

Re: Taking over a team in a unique league - where to go with it?

#2 Post by Tig »

the projections can definitely be used, but it will require a bit of "tweaking" on your part.

Take the projected stat and multiply it by the scoring structure.

so, if someone is projected to hit 40hr, take 40x5 and get a total pt value for each category, then total em up. There will be players who will perform better in pts leagues than they do in roto leagues, so there values are a bit different.

for example, Adam Dunn's value is hindered in reg roto due to the low BA. the BA doesnt amount to anything in a pts league. In reg roto, Dunn doesnt get any credit for his 100+ walks. that said, a reg roto league doesnt penalize him for his high # of k's either.

johnd2442

#3 Post by johnd2442 »

Tig wrote:the projections can definitely be used, but it will require a bit of "tweaking" on your part.

Take the projected stat and multiply it by the scoring structure.

so, if someone is projected to hit 40hr, take 40x5 and get a total pt value for each category, then total em up. There will be players who will perform better in pts leagues than they do in roto leagues, so there values are a bit different.

for example, Adam Dunn's value is hindered in reg roto due to the low BA. the BA doesnt amount to anything in a pts league. In reg roto, Dunn doesnt get any credit for his 100+ walks. that said, a reg roto league doesnt penalize him for his high # of k's either.
tig, thanks so much for this. i was beginning to think that i was the black sheep of the mastersball forum even though i'd never made a post before! i may try to do this when i have some time. the one drawback is that we are already doing a slow auction right now through our league site so we will be done in time for opening day. but i still have many holes to fill.

i suppose it may actually not take much time if i use the excel sheet with the projected stats and use formulas like you were talking about for homers and affix those formulas for all of the columns that apply to one of the point categories. this is just the kind of post i needed to make it not seem all so vague.

thanks again, tig.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

The missing part is raw points are only part of the process. You need to subtract out the points for the last player drafted at each position.

By means of example, if the top SP is projected for 250 points and the last SP is projected for 100 point, the last SP drafted is worth 0 points and the top one 150 points.

If the top OF is projected for 225 points and the last OF is worth 50 points, the last OF is 0 and the top OF is 175 points.

The outfielder is worth more than the pitcher even though the pitcher is projected for more points.

If you are good with Excel, you can do this on the CVRC. Set up the points like advised, paste the number into the HR column and set the category to 1 for HR and 0 for everything else and the CVRC will do this for you.

Post your league characteristics here (league size, roster requirements, etc) and I can set it up and send you the results if you want help.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

johnd2442

#5 Post by johnd2442 »

thank you for taking the time here, todd. i guess one issue i'm having is that there are 3 open DH/utility spots in the lineup. i'm not sure exactly how to account for those in addition to a infielder position.

i did use mastersball's projections and they were a big help for at least a guide. i joined a friend's league late so the auction was already starting, but i didn't miss much. however, i also was two strikes behind with researching the players available as there are many, many players under contract.

i think this year, i realized many mistakes in the sense that while i allocated the total available dollars to all of the players i thought would be drafted, i didn't set up my own limits for how high i'd go and got burnt by some truly poor decisions. i mean, i obviously don't want to be paying 100% of what i have allocated for a player's value i'm assuming. i want some value in a player i'm buying and buying under the player's projected dollar value. along those lines, what you say, todd, of having baselines makes perfect sense. i would just have to figure out how to figure in the open 3 DH/utility spots and that one infielder starting position. next year, i think i will do this. i don't have much cash left and didn't do a great job with the team i inherited, but with a year of learning the players inside and out (i haven't been keeping up with mlb much over the past five years, but was an avid fantasy baseball player before that and remember mastersball well from that time) and re-learning dollar values, owner tendencies, etc., hopefully i'll be ready for next year's auction.

until then, there is much i can learn from all of you on this site - the mastersball men and the experienced fantasy players, during the season with player valuation and trading. so thanks again, and for fun, i am going to play with the CVRC as i haven't done that yet...i don't think. i had just downloaded the excel sheets which were great.

thanks again, todd. you gave me some great ideas to work on.