Roto 500

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Stu2k5

Roto 500

#1 Post by Stu2k5 »

I was wondering what you guys thought of Shandler's Roto 500 and if you were going to be playing that style in 2011.

I know Todd was part of the test run so was interested as to your thoughts during your abbreviated draft.

I would assume there is on way to do that draft online, would need to be a live (in-person) draft, correct?

Thanks!

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Roto 500

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Ron asked us all for our thoughts, and if you were in Phoenix, as you can imagine, I had a little to say :)

FWIW, Lawr participated as well.

We have enough planned already, so we won't be doing any leagues with that format here, but there was mention of Ron running a league and I may participate if they ask non-HQ to play.

Overall, i think it is an interesting concept, i just think the prices need tweaking. No, they need a Joan Rivers-like facelift.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

deansdaddy

#3 Post by deansdaddy »

I kind of like the idea of combining a draft with auction elements and a big reserve list with FAAB bids in season.

I just didn't like the step backward to 4X4. It seemed to me like it was done to be different rather than actually add something to the game. I get the idea for balancing out the hitting and pitching side in terms of ratio stats - but I would rather see it remain 5x5, and I am afraid most players will as well. It might be fun to check a league out, but if the numbers man says the numbers are out of whack - then that does concern me.

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

Drauctions - combining an auction with a draft are a terrible idea, usually suggested because a league doesn't want to spend more time doing an auction than a draft. This does not have to be the case if the league has good rules and good management or a great auctioneer.

I have friends tell me how great this is - everyone has $100 to buy four players and then it reverts to a draft.....REALLY? If the first nomination is "Pujols $25" how do you break the immediate tie for "Pujols $97". If otoh the first nomination (or any subsequent nomination) is for $97 isn't it really just a question of nomination (draft) spots?

While this is not the case with Roto 500, it appears to me to be an attempt to find a new game when the old one was just fine.

mjlewis
Major League Veteran

#5 Post by mjlewis »

Captain Hook wrote:I have friends tell me how great this is - everyone has $100 to buy four players and then it reverts to a draft.....REALLY? If the first nomination is "Pujols $25" how do you break the immediate tie for "Pujols $97". If otoh the first nomination (or any subsequent nomination) is for $97 isn't it really just a question of nomination (draft) spots?
Is your implication that, in a regular 12-team draft, for example, you'd rather have draft positions 1, 46, 47, and 48 than 10, 11, 12, and 13?

- Mike

Captain Hook

#6 Post by Captain Hook »

mjlewis wrote:
Captain Hook wrote:I have friends tell me how great this is - everyone has $100 to buy four players and then it reverts to a draft.....REALLY? If the first nomination is "Pujols $25" how do you break the immediate tie for "Pujols $97". If otoh the first nomination (or any subsequent nomination) is for $97 isn't it really just a question of nomination (draft) spots?
Is your implication that, in a regular 12-team draft, for example, you'd rather have draft positions 1, 46, 47, and 48 than 10, 11, 12, and 13?

- Mike
Not sure I understand what you are looking for Mike - how would I get picks 10-13 in a drauction?

No in a draft I will take four of the first thirteen picks

But when you have no guarantee of which picks you will actually get and with only taking players for the equivalent of the first four rounds I would take the sure thing and take the best player and then scramble for my other three (which again are at worst fourth round values)

mjlewis
Major League Veteran

#7 Post by mjlewis »

Captain Hook wrote:
mjlewis wrote:Is your implication that, in a regular 12-team draft, for example, you'd rather have draft positions 1, 46, 47, and 48 than 10, 11, 12, and 13?

- Mike
Not sure I understand what you are looking for Mike - how would I get picks 10-13 in a drauction?
a) I brainlocked and meant 12, 13, 14, 15.

b) Well, if it's correct to go Pujols $97 and then take whatever's left after everyone else is finished for $1 as your other three picks, presumably it's correct for the next person to go Hanley $97 and do the same thing you're doing... then the next guy, etc. It may be that you end up spending a little less than $97 as you go down -- maybe the #11 guy goes $80 which means that he gets 11, 16, 17, 18, but then maybe the #10 guy goes $83 and gets 10, 19, 20, 21... etc.

If Pujols is a special case this year for some reason, then just assume that nobody else follows that strategy -- would you rather have 1, 46, 47, 48 or 6, 19, 30, 43? (I'm actually not sure of the answer to this in general -- it depends on the size of the league etc -- but say it's 12-team mixed to have a baseline.)

In summary, I think there's more play in this "auction the first couple rounds" concept than you dismissed it as having, but I also think it's possible that you believe that that strategy is correct (which then opens up the question of at what point it's better to bid $94 and be guaranteed of getting your other three players before everyone who bid $97 and so on).

- Mike