Final Week Strategy

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Final Week Strategy

#1 Post by viper »

"Bully Hitting and Manage Pitching" is a mantra. As we enter the final week of the season I am wondering if my projected thoughts can be disputed. Pitching Rosters for the 25th week are in stone. For week 26, managing things can be done. I have a nine point league in my Satellite league.

In Wins, I have 119. This is four more than any team in the main event and 17 more than any other team in my league. I don't need any wins. I am at 1274 Ks for 14 points with the next three closest at 1221, 1213 & 1194. It would be hard to lose any there but I guess it is possible. ERA & WHIP are close with 4-6 point in play if my team implodes and others do well. My observations or ERA & WHIP are they it is hard to improve at this point but getting worse numbers is easy.

My current plan is to bench/cut my SPs and replace them with the injured for that final week. I have $4 FAAB left so I can make 4 moves. I would not want to start even good MRs as they too could have blowups. Wagner is my only closer and he would remain active. Jansen and Trevor Bell (LAA) are on my roster. My four top pitchers are Ubaldo, Myers, Hudson & Haren. I'm actually thinking of starting as few of them as possible.

Stupid or smart?
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Final Week Strategy

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Backing off the starters is the obvious play.

Then it comes down to choosing the best possible relievers or taking zeroes and this decision is dictated by the standings. If holding steady is the best ploy, then take the zeroes. If you think you need a point or two, then rolling the dice with relievers is the play. From the description of the situation, protection looks to the the best option, so using the injured guys makes sense.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

lawr
Major League All-Star

#3 Post by lawr »

welllll...

everything z says is correct, and...

i am one who fears playing too passively and getting stung.

Trav The Ump

#4 Post by Trav The Ump »

Good luck Viper, I got Bell, Morrow, Wuertz, Papelbon and Soriano going on my roster. With King Felix, Cecil, Weaver and Verlander my only real throwing guys. Cost me a point or two in K's but I have 13 point lead...better than risking ERA and WHIP chasing a couple of points in K's

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#5 Post by viper »

Of course, things have tightened up. My lead is now a precarious three points. I'm keeping two SPs with weekend starts and will start the week with three disabled pitchers. That will give me the option to activate those pitchers on Friday if needed. This is getting too tight for my blood.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

viper wrote: I'm keeping two SPs with weekend starts and will start the week with three disabled pitchers. That will give me the option to activate those pitchers on Friday if needed.
A loophole I am pushing to have sealed for next year's NFBC but so long as it is still open, there is nothing wrong with exploiting it as others are doing.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

viper
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by viper »

I like your solution. No one has given a better one. Actually, I'm not sure if I have heard one except allowing total changes on Friday for both pitching & hitting.

And my lead is now 1½

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer