Trade offer: Abreu for Swisher

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
special k
Major League Veteran

Trade offer: Abreu for Swisher

#1 Post by special k »

I have Swisher in my 10-team AL-only, standard 5X5. I am in a dogfight for first place overall, also for homers and RBIs. But I could use Abreu's steals big time. Is it reasonable to expect Abreu to approximate Swisher's power production the rest of the way? I expect BA to even out, given out each of their returns to historic norms, and runs are not an issue; team making offer cannot catch me, wants to hang onto fourth. Swisher is a better keeper, but who cares right now.
Thoughts?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Trade offer: Abreu for Swisher

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Expect to approximate? That leaves some gray area as with 8 or 9 weeks left, you can have different ideas of approximate.

And I am also not sure the BA even out.

BUT...

If you can't just deal for steals without losing power, Abreu is about as good a target as you could get.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

special k
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by special k »

Why are you unsure about BA? Swisher way above career norms, Abreu below. Should even out.
As for "expect to approximate," I dunno, WAG?
I guess the larger question is expectations for each moving ahead ...

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

Swisher is fanning a little less. His BABIP is high, but is supported by a high LD%. It has been shown that hitters can sustain a high LD% for an entire season. Plus HR are hits too and his power is up. I don't expect a HUGE drop from where he is now. Will he continue to hit .300? Probably not. But I think he will be above the midway point between where he is and where Abreu is.

Abreu is fanning a little more with a lower BABIP. His LD% is low so it is more than "bad luck". He'll probably hit better than .255, but I think he will fall short of where Swisher hits the rest of the season.

As for expectation, it is hard enough to predict 6 months anything can happen in two months. I prefer to deal in generalities.

"I need to maintain most of Swisher's power, come close in batting average but get more steals."

That sounds like a perfect description of Abreu to me.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord