Buchholz or Gio Gonzalez?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: Rotisserie Auction

Buchholz or Gio Gonzalez?

#1 Post by Tampa Bob »

AL only, 10 team, K instead of WHIP, 5 keepers if under $11.

The 1st place Gonzalez owner had approached me about a trade. He had 64.5 points, I'm 3rd with 59.5. I'm tapped out in the hitting categories so it'd all have to be made up in pitching. I just brought in Jenks, Fuentes and Chamberlain (and D. Jennings :D ) for Porcello, Sheets and Rafael Soriano so saves should go up. ERA should drop a little.

The trade proposed is Gonzalez, Franklin Gutierrez and Kyle Drabek from the minors. I'm not a Gutierrez fan and am not sure Drabek is better than Crosby or Turner from my minor league roster. Gutierrez is doing well this year but his peripherals tell me he's not quite there yet.

Still, if I'm to think about trading Lester I should explore all possibilities. The Buchholz owner nearly made a trade on Tuesday but got cold feet. He was seeking a front line starter.

So... opinions please.

1. Trade Lester for Gonzalez ($1 for 2 more years), Gutierrez ($9 for 1 more), and Drabek.

2. Ask for more - Thinking to substitute Kendrick ($10 for 2). I can drop Brignak for Brian Roberts and flip him in the deal.

Making this deal (plus acquiring Joba) likely kills my hope for ERA improvement despite the new closers. Mr. 1st Place is buying a top flight pitcher somewhere. I'm just one option for him.

3. Switch gears. Talk to the Buchholz ($3 for 2 more years) owner (Deep last place but looking to move up). Do we love Buchholz more than Gonzalez?

Side note -

4. Joba is $1 for 2 more years. Anyone have a crystal ball for 2011? I can drop him before Sunday and get someone like Scott Downs, Darren Oliver, Sergio Santos, or Gil Meche.

Thanks for reading, I apologize for being long winded.

TB
10 team AL only. 4x4 with strikeouts. No drops without IL or Minors. Can keep 5 up to 3 years if $10 or under.
C: D. Jansen - $3, Y. Diaz - N/A 1B: V. Guerrero - $1 2B: J. Polanco - $4 SS: B. Witt - $1 3B: A. Bregman - $22
CR: E. Duran - $1, UT: J. Westberg - N/A
OF: K. Tucker - $1, J. Rodriguez - $1, E. Oliveras - $1, J. Kelenic - $3, M. Vierling - N/A.
SP: K. Maeta - N/A, T. Skubal - N/A, G. Cole - $46, Z. Eflin - $3, C. Sale - N/A, J. Montgomery - N/A

RP: K. Jansen - $23, C. Holmes - $27.
Minors: G. Rodriguez, A. Volpe, K. Manzardo, B. Lee, C. DeLauter

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: Buchholz or Gio Gonzalez?

#2 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

We like Bucholtz better than Gio. Gio depends on his curve ball to be effective and he still walks far too many guys. Add that to playing on a team that is going nowhere versus a team that intends to compete. If you've reached the apex on offense, then deal #1 makes no sense for you -trading something you need for something you feel you already have enough of.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: Rotisserie Auction

#3 Post by Tampa Bob »

Thanks, Kid. I should have explained, our league is old school with no free adds/drops. Every player starts every day and no one goes away unless they hit the DL, get sent down, or are traded to the NL.

I think I realistically have a 20% (or less) chance of winning this year. The 2 guys ahead of me have a stranglehold on hitting categories and solid, but not perfect, pitching. Fist Place is shopping for a #1 starter and that'll really make him tough. Still, it's one of those deals where if everything goes right for me and they have a couple of unfortunate incidents I can slip past.

Finishing 3rd offers no excitement. So, next year I have Longoria, N. Cruz and Feliz as returning keepers. We can keep up to 5. Both Gonzalez and Buchholz are keepers for 2011-12.

I have decided to counter First Place Owner trying to drain talent from his team while simultaneously approaching Last Place (but really wants to finish near the money) with Lester.
10 team AL only. 4x4 with strikeouts. No drops without IL or Minors. Can keep 5 up to 3 years if $10 or under.
C: D. Jansen - $3, Y. Diaz - N/A 1B: V. Guerrero - $1 2B: J. Polanco - $4 SS: B. Witt - $1 3B: A. Bregman - $22
CR: E. Duran - $1, UT: J. Westberg - N/A
OF: K. Tucker - $1, J. Rodriguez - $1, E. Oliveras - $1, J. Kelenic - $3, M. Vierling - N/A.
SP: K. Maeta - N/A, T. Skubal - N/A, G. Cole - $46, Z. Eflin - $3, C. Sale - N/A, J. Montgomery - N/A

RP: K. Jansen - $23, C. Holmes - $27.
Minors: G. Rodriguez, A. Volpe, K. Manzardo, B. Lee, C. DeLauter

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Tampa Bob wrote:Thanks, Kid. I should have explained, our league is old school with no free adds/drops. Every player starts every day and no one goes away unless they hit the DL, get sent down, or are traded to the NL.

I think I realistically have a 20% (or less) chance of winning this year. The 2 guys ahead of me have a stranglehold on hitting categories and solid, but not perfect, pitching. Fist Place is shopping for a #1 starter and that'll really make him tough. Still, it's one of those deals where if everything goes right for me and they have a couple of unfortunate incidents I can slip past.

Finishing 3rd offers no excitement. So, next year I have Longoria, N. Cruz and Feliz as returning keepers. We can keep up to 5. Both Gonzalez and Buchholz are keepers for 2011-12.

I have decided to counter First Place Owner trying to drain talent from his team while simultaneously approaching Last Place (but really wants to finish near the money) with Lester.
No sweat, Bob - out leagues are exactly the same way ...and it's from that frame of reference I made my comments. I think, off of last night's showing, you have a good chance of seeing Gio taken off the market. I leave Lester in place and move towards Buchholz.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams