2nd half roster decisions - AL Only

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Trav The Ump

2nd half roster decisions - AL Only

#1 Post by Trav The Ump »

Team is in the signature below, I believe I have it 100% correct to my current lineup and positions.

Where to start? Sitting in 2nd place 5x5 standard league. Ten teams. 4th in avg, 2nd in Hr's, 1st in Rbi's, 1st in Runs, 6th in SB's.

Average I can get to 1st, homers I am five behind but thirty ahead of third, I am 85 ahead in rbi's and 20 in runs, might be able to get one point in SB's as there is a big gap after that.

Holes on my offense; Currently I am running out there Cust at DH, Betancourt at MI and Kearns as my worst OFer. Wigginton has been ice cold for a month, believed to be on the trade market (old school rules, he goes to the NL I outright lose him) but he has amazing eligibility all over the field. So what I am looking to do is upgrade from the wire potentially. I would like to pick up my average without the expense of any runs. My team is strong enough elsewhere to keep pace.

Cust - Not getting regular playing time and not hitting dingers, currently at my DH. (Swisher and Wigginton can move there)
Betancourt - It's Yuniesky, just pains me to run him out there.
Kearns - Has cooled off but playing every day, also trade speculation.
Wigginton - Listed above.

Free agents

Jayson Nix - CI, MI elig. Been lighting it up so far. Average, not hot.
Jason Donald - MI elig. Better as of late, not great.
Eric Patterson - MI, OF elig. Interesting skill set, playing time worries when everyone is healthy?
Matt Joyce - OF elig. Always liked him as a player, seems to be getting playing time on a very high scoring team.
Mike Cameron - OF elig. Old but defense will keep him in there if healthy. Best chance for big runs numbers?

In my head I could add Cameron for Betancourt, Wigginton goes to MI, Swisher to 1B and Cameron to OF. To make life easier I could simply swap Nix for Betancourt but what happens when Cabrera comes back? Joyce for Kearns, or is that being to speculative since Kearns hasn't been terrible as a 5th OFer?

Sorry this was long but wanted to give you all the info, your thoughts are much appreciated.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: 2nd half roster decisions - AL Only

#2 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Cust - That may change depending on how long Jackson stays on the DL, but you knew he wasn't in homer heaven in the first place.
Betancourt - You have GOT to get rid of him, no matter what the cost.
Kearns - On a typical 2nd division roster - everyone's auditioning for a 2011 job. No guarantees in a situation like this one.
Wigginton - Eh. Lets see when Buck takes over.

Free agents

Jayson Nix - CI, MI elig. Not a good choice based on 10 hot days.
Jason Donald - MI elig. Not great - but he'll steal an occasional base - I'd take him over Yuni.
Eric Patterson - MI, I'd be more worried about roster spot when everyone is healthy
Matt Joyce - OF elig. Problem is, he's not doing anything with that PT - and remember our posts from earlier this year - that injury may still be bothering him. He's hitting very high in the lineup but not producing.
Mike Cameron - OF elig. Old. Dinged. Period.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

For now I would just get Donald to replace Betancourt

Trav The Ump

#4 Post by Trav The Ump »

Update - Made a small deal, ended up flipping Rzcepzynski and Kearns for Corey Patterson. Patterson has been not bad fantasy wise all around and is a better bet than Kearns going forward in my mind. I also dropped Betancourt for Cameron. With the addition of Patterson I feel Cameron's potential for runs is higher than Donald's and will suit me better.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Trav The Ump wrote:Update - Made a small deal, ended up flipping Rzcepzynski and Kearns for Corey Patterson. Patterson has been not bad fantasy wise all around and is a better bet than Kearns going forward in my mind. I also dropped Betancourt for Cameron. With the addition of Patterson I feel Cameron's potential for runs is higher than Donald's and will suit me better.
Then good luck with it, Trav ...never thought I'd say this but Patterson isn't stinking up the joint - just pray his style doesn't clash with Buck's ideas on how he should play. Hope it works out for ya.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: Rotisserie Auction

#6 Post by Tampa Bob »

After the fact but I wonder if this wasn't a case where no player is better than the one you have. In our old-school league sometimes having a MI on the DL is preferable to the average-killer flotsum available. We use 2 catchers and it's especially true for that 2nd catcher spot.

Hope it works out for you.
10 team AL only. 4x4 with strikeouts. No drops without IL or Minors. Can keep 5 up to 3 years if $10 or under.
C: D. Jansen - $3, Y. Diaz - N/A 1B: V. Guerrero - $1 2B: J. Polanco - $4 SS: B. Witt - $1 3B: A. Bregman - $22
CR: E. Duran - $1, UT: J. Westberg - N/A
OF: K. Tucker - $1, J. Rodriguez - $1, E. Oliveras - $1, J. Kelenic - $3, M. Vierling - N/A.
SP: K. Maeta - N/A, T. Skubal - N/A, G. Cole - $46, Z. Eflin - $3, C. Sale - N/A, J. Montgomery - N/A

RP: K. Jansen - $23, C. Holmes - $27.
Minors: G. Rodriguez, A. Volpe, K. Manzardo, B. Lee, C. DeLauter

Tig

#7 Post by Tig »

id be concerned with Patterson's PT going forward. with Pie back, Patterson is DH'ing. So where does he play when Scott comes off the DL?