Leaving a league

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Leaving a league

#1 Post by viper »

Is there a good way to leave a dynasty league? I joined a new one and we are now in season two. I always felt I was really a redraft type of person and now I know for sure. The team is actually fairly good. It came in 3rd out of 12 last year and is about dead average this season. I'm not sure if it is the daily move part of the league or the realization that improvement is hard is the driving factor but I clearly am not all that interested in this style of play.

The league is 12 teams, 40 man rosters and uses both saves & holds. Trading is minimal. You have 5 active RPs so you need to mix closers with setup men. With 13 the average total for saves & holds, my RP staff is actually totaling 15 so my mix is at least average. The reality is that the value of RPs is minimal. I actively keep hitting slots filled and am on agood pace for the 162 max per position. The 1800 annual IP limit is not an issue. I have enough SPs to avoid pitching against teams that bash the ball like the Red Sox, Yankees & Texas.

The roster is
C: K Suzuki
CO: C Pena, P Sandoval, J Uribe, M Teixeira, J Bautista
MI:A Gonzalez, J Bartlett, I Kinsler, R Theriot
OF:A Torres, C Lee, I Suzuki, S Victorino, T Hunter, N McLouth, J Rivera
SP:J Blanton, K Kendrick, M Leake, T Lilly, T Hanson, C Hamels, J Vazquez, John Ely, K Slowey
SP: M Bumgarner, R Dempster, S Baker, W Rodriguez, C Young
RP: F Cordero, G Balfour, H-Chih Kuo, J Soria, R Belisario
Minors: M Dominguez, J.P. Arencibia, T Frazier, T Beckham

My opinion is that this is a reasonable team for someone to take over.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

lawr
Major League All-Star

Re: Leaving a league

#2 Post by lawr »

well, the truth never really hurts. if you have outgrown the league, just suggesting it is not what you expected is reasonable.

and, just being overloaded, too.

it should not be like breaking up a relationship, but somehow it is.

but, if you advise everyone at the end of the season, and even try to find a replacement for yourself, it should be fine (or more to the point, if the owners are upset it reflects upon them and their sense of priority, not yours mike).

i have found when leagues are no fun for me, it tends to be a drain and i am not as happy (same thing with being in a band you want to leave).

lawr

alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

#3 Post by alleyoops »

Had a discussion with an owner in a keeper league, when we were talking trade (him dumping, me contending). At one point he mentioned that he's pretty sure (99%) that he won't be coming back to the league next year. I told him that I would not do a trade with him, as I feel that owners who are leaving a league should not make trades which might influence the results of the league. That is, if you're out, just get out of the way. He argued that doing dump deals would put the team in a better position for the owner who gets it next year. He later did a couple of deals with other owners.

Interested in views on this from others.

mjlewis
Major League Veteran

#4 Post by mjlewis »

alleyoops wrote:Had a discussion with an owner in a keeper league, when we were talking trade (him dumping, me contending). At one point he mentioned that he's pretty sure (99%) that he won't be coming back to the league next year. I told him that I would not do a trade with him, as I feel that owners who are leaving a league should not make trades which might influence the results of the league. That is, if you're out, just get out of the way. He argued that doing dump deals would put the team in a better position for the owner who gets it next year. He later did a couple of deals with other owners.

Interested in views on this from others.
I think the other owner's opinion is pretty reasonable; if he knows he's leaving, the most responsible thing for him to do is to play as if he wasn't. (Obviously your opinion is correct in a non-keeper league.)

- Mike

Rob Leibowitz
Major League Regular

#5 Post by Rob Leibowitz »

In a keeper league, I much prefer an active owner, committed to making a team someone can work with, than an incomplete job that may either turn a potential new owner off or make create quick turnover due to a poor first season, or take multiple years to get back on track. I've seen it too many times where someone dropping out turns into an absentee and then newcomer is left with a roster with few keepers and on a course more likely to have to dump than not.

In other words, having a newcomer's team well positioned for the upcoming season will serve your league better as it is likely they will be more engaged for the long term.

However, in the case of multiple teams leaving, I recommend an off-season dispersal draft instead of just taking over a roster. It also improves buy-in and doesn't leave one new owner in a significantly worse situation than the other.
Rob Leibowitz
Mastersball.com
Rob's Column/Blog: The Diamond Exchange