Updated Projections?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
jkadagio

Updated Projections?

#1 Post by jkadagio »

Are the pitching/batting projections going to be updated throughout the year in the platinum content section? The latest I see are dated 4/8. If I recall correctly they were updated periodically last year, no?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Updated Projections?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

The original plan was not to update them and this is discussed elsewhere.

BUT...

We have been having a ton of behind the scenes discussions and the return of in-season projections is imminent.

We should have a formal announcement soon regarding this and some other subscriber additions.

We could roll out the projections as early as this Thursday or Friday and will update them every two weeks thereafter.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

jkadagio

#3 Post by jkadagio »

Sounds good. Thanks!

brooklyn49
Major League Veteran

#4 Post by brooklyn49 »

Still on schedule to plan?
13 Team, Mixed, Rotisserie League with Daily Transactions
525 IP Limit; 60 Games per position
Hitting: Runs, HR, RBI, SB, BA, Hits, BB, Total Bases, OPS
Pitching: W, SV, ERA, WHIP, K's, HR Allowed, Holds, K/BB, QS

Hitting:
C: O. Narváez 1B: P. Goldschmidt 2B: C. Biggio 3B: M. Muncy SS: M. Semien MI: C. Hernández CI: C. Santana OF: M. Conforto, B. Harper, A. McCutchen, T. Edman Utility: N. Cruz
Pitching:
SP: M. Minor, K. Maeda, C. Martínez, N. Pearson, J. Montgomery, C. Bassitt
CL: H. Neris, N. Burdi, A. Bass
SU: P. Báez, Y. Petit, B. Treinen

Bench: E. Thames, N. Solak, T. Grisham, J. Berti
DL: J. Verlander, S. Oberg

#5 Post by Guest »

Probably a day or two behind, my fault entirely which I apologize for. You'll be looking at them worst case Monday, best case Sat/Sun.

Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: Rotisserie Auction

#6 Post by Tampa Bob »

Can't wait to see what you say about Nick Johnson, whom I hate.
10 team AL only. 4x4 with strikeouts. No drops without IL or Minors. Can keep 5 up to 3 years if $10 or under.
C: D. Jansen - $3, Y. Diaz - N/A 1B: V. Guerrero - $1 2B: J. Polanco - $4 SS: B. Witt - $1 3B: A. Bregman - $22
CR: E. Duran - $1, UT: J. Westberg - N/A
OF: K. Tucker - $1, J. Rodriguez - $1, E. Oliveras - $1, J. Kelenic - $3, M. Vierling - N/A.
SP: K. Maeta - N/A, T. Skubal - N/A, G. Cole - $46, Z. Eflin - $3, C. Sale - N/A, J. Montgomery - N/A

RP: K. Jansen - $23, C. Holmes - $27.
Minors: G. Rodriguez, A. Volpe, K. Manzardo, B. Lee, C. DeLauter

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by Todd Zola »

Keep in mind with Johnson is DL time was already factored in. So there may not be a considerable adjustment with playing time.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

#8 Post by Guest »

Guys - I wish I wasn't typing this but don't wait up tonight on them. I am confident they'll arrive tomorrow, but delays on my end killed this. Going forward it won't be an issue but this one is on me and I apologize. I appreciate your patience.

brooklyn49
Major League Veteran

#9 Post by brooklyn49 »

"?"

Hitting:
C: O. Narváez 1B: P. Goldschmidt 2B: C. Biggio 3B: M. Muncy SS: M. Semien MI: C. Hernández CI: C. Santana OF: M. Conforto, B. Harper, A. McCutchen, T. Edman Utility: N. Cruz
Pitching:

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#10 Post by Todd Zola »

We'll have the update later today. It will be based on stats from about a week ago, but we'll catch up with the next one sooner than 2 weeks so we'll be on schedule soon.

brooklyn49
Major League Veteran

#11 Post by brooklyn49 »

thank you

Hitting:
Pitching:

ksenor

#12 Post by ksenor »

Thanks for the updates!

brooklyn49
Major League Veteran

#13 Post by brooklyn49 »

Will we be able to play with new projections over the 3 day Memorial Day weekend?

Hitting:
Pitching:

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#14 Post by Todd Zola »

Yes -- doing the hitting now, pitching in the morning. aiming to post mid to late afternoon.

brooklyn49
Major League Veteran

#15 Post by brooklyn49 »

Upside Hitting Projections for Garrett Jones surprised me a little as did that for Maicer Izturis. Conversely, the projected drop for Ordonez is disappointing. But what really raised an eyebrow is the projection for Nolan Reimold (I recall last year's assessment of Delmon Young). Why the optimistic forecast for Reimold?

Likewise, on the pitching side, the projections for Erik Bedard seem surprisingly promising.

Hitting:
Pitching:

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#16 Post by Todd Zola »

The projections are nothing more than a weighted average of the skills we expected and the skills they are presently showing, with the playing time as a multiplier.

Early in the season, we weight the historical expectation more. As the season wears on, we give more credence to current performance.

That is, if we expected 30 HR and the player has has hit 7, we do not project 23.

There is a skill rate that goes with the expectation of 30 (let's call it X) and another skill level displayed by hitting seven so far (call it Y)

a is the weight of the historical
b is the weight of the year to date

so

aX + bY = weighted average of the skill

We then multiply by expected playing time to get rest of year projection.

Someone like Bedard, the skills are the same we expected in March, just a change in innings.

I do the NL playing time, Gary does the AL. Skills we both can discuss because the model generates those.

I cam address specific questions about NL playing time. I will ask Gary to comment on any AL situation that may be in question.

Make sense?

#17 Post by Guest »

Here's my thought process take it or leave it...

I feel like Reimold should be up soon and almost playing every day. This could be completely wrong of course, but they're playing for nothing, and I think he'd play very well if he got the chance. Frankly, I really thought about this one because right now I'm projecting him at coming up from the minors in the next 2-4 weeks and then playing a lot. This is one of those areas of projection theory I don't love, because in essence to make the projection more palatable in essence I have to cut his playing time significantly, which I didn't really want to do either. I can completely understand the skepticism and understand those who'd critique the thought process, but I can't imagine Patterson and Atkins stop them from letting this kid play. The skills, as Todd says, represent 4 years of performance, which is all very, very good. And this is what keeps sticking in my head - Reimold was a bad BABIP guy, nothing else going on in Baltimore this year - he was a 25 HR guy two years in a row, and he's sitting for Garrett Atkins and Corey Patterson on a 70 win team. Yes, I might be completely full of it here, but....

Macier's output projection isn't anything too out of the line for me - maybe the $$ sticks out -but Wood can't hit, and that's all Izturis' time at this point plus supersub everywhere else. He's going to get PA.

Ordonez - I don't think the HR rate sticks, nothing else about the projection seems too out of line to me.

Bedard, the IP might be rosy, I'd read some positive things but maybe it's too optimistic. I still think 2-2.5 months of starting isn't out of the picture and he's always been effective when he actually pitches...

churchm

#18 Post by churchm »

Are the values rest of way values? Or simply end of season? I would think rest of way projections would be helpful.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#19 Post by Todd Zola »

The projections are how we feel the player will do for the remainder of the season and the values are based off of those rest-of-year projections. They do not directly incorporate what has been produced to this point.

It may be confusing because we still use $260 as the team salary and do not prorate it for the portion of the season that has elapsed.

Skin Blues
Major League Regular

#20 Post by Skin Blues »

Just thought I'd point out that Fred Lewis is still listed on the Giants. I'm not sure if the playing time allocation for the Jays and Giants was affected by this. Also, Mike Stanton isn't included, which will surely have an affect on the expected playing time of some combination of Maybin/Coghlan/Ross since his call-up is a foregone conclusion. What is the process on speculative call-ups like him? Are adjustments made once they're actually called up? I realize it's hard to know if a prospect will get significant time in the majors and some teams are reluctant to being them up until September. I bring it up because Carlos Santana is already included in the projections and Cleveland management has said he still needs time in the minors to work on his defense, although it makes sense that he would be up with the Indians sooner rather than later.

And this might not be the place for this, but do you have an idea of Dan Hudson's chances at being called up and how well you think he might do? His last start wasn't too impressive and my false hope is dwindling. I only need him to be better than one of Hochevar, Bannister or Guthrie (I target bad SPs on horrible teams, apparently) to make him worth my while, but even that much isn't possible if he isn't called up.

#21 Post by Guest »

I'd say our process on minor leaguers is that if there's a pretty demonstrated plan for what will happen with a player, we will reflect it, but we don't assume too much as it relates to callups. Santana frankly I thought would be called up by now, so we'll start tweaking the forecast down if word doesn't change soon.

Lewis is just an admin issue that I apologize for - his team error doesn't affect things very much.

For those interested in Stanton I would believe the rumor mill - he is likely up in the next 10 days. His AVG will be mediocre but the power is oh so legit.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#22 Post by Todd Zola »

ACKKK!!!!!

Here's the deal with Fred Lewis. In master the projection file, he is indeed properly included with the Blue Jays so their at bats and the Giants at bats are accurately accounted for as a team total.

However, the format of the sheet we use to project and the format of the sheet we use in the posted projections are different. I use some excel functions including vlookup to convert one into the other. The administrative error is that I did not change the team and league designation of Lewis in the master file that lists the team and league designation. We use a player ID number on the master projection file and not the last name, first name.

Bottom line is I have updated the info for Lewis and will scrub it for everyone else that has switched teams.

With Taylor, they have been talking about his promotion since the end of April so I should have included it with a best guess for the playing time. Who loses time is the real question as either Ross or Uggla could be traded along with Coghlan/Maybin/Sanchez as Cantu could in theory go to 1B with Coghlan going to 2B (Uggla to 3B) or 3B.

My missing him is really doubly bad because every update I look to see how Logan Morrison is doing for selfish reasons as I own Gaby Sanchez in Tout Wars.

Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: Rotisserie Auction

#23 Post by Tampa Bob »

Todd, I apologize if I missed the note but I can't find Jack Cust on the spreadsheet either. I think he's queued up for one of his microbursts.
10 team AL only. 4x4 with strikeouts. No drops without IL or Minors. Can keep 5 up to 3 years if $10 or under.
C: D. Jansen - $3, Y. Diaz - N/A 1B: V. Guerrero - $1 2B: J. Polanco - $4 SS: B. Witt - $1 3B: A. Bregman - $22
CR: E. Duran - $1, UT: J. Westberg - N/A
OF: K. Tucker - $1, J. Rodriguez - $1, E. Oliveras - $1, J. Kelenic - $3, M. Vierling - N/A.
SP: K. Maeta - N/A, T. Skubal - N/A, G. Cole - $46, Z. Eflin - $3, C. Sale - N/A, J. Montgomery - N/A

RP: K. Jansen - $23, C. Holmes - $27.
Minors: G. Rodriguez, A. Volpe, K. Manzardo, B. Lee, C. DeLauter

#24 Post by Guest »

Cust will be in the next update. Good news is he's pretty consistent so the only issue is his PT.

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#25 Post by viper »

True story. Last week I was thinking about my recent acquisition Cust and noticed that Lewis was available. I need power more but it was possible that a better average hitter could be an improvement. I went to the latest projections and saw that BOTH were missing. Sort of a shoulder shrugging moment. I did not put in a bid for Lewis. I also had a pitching decision whether to keep a basically inept Masterson, make a bid on Tilman or grab a better ERA/WHIP middle reliever. I decided to give Masterson another week or two. Both Tilman and Lewis were take but both went for more than I would have bid so my decision was irrelevant.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

#26 Post by Guest »

Sorry if it screwed you up. We'll do our best to make sure it's as good as possible going forward.

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#27 Post by viper »

no site ever screws me up. I am fully capable of doing it myself and don't need any help.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

jkadagio

#28 Post by jkadagio »

Any chance we get a set of updates by the weekend?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#29 Post by Todd Zola »

I'd say the chances are quite good, hope to have a time estimate later today.

#30 Post by Guest »

Yes, you'll have updates by the weekend.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#31 Post by Todd Zola »

POSTED

brooklyn49
Major League Veteran

#32 Post by brooklyn49 »

As my DL grows, I look forward to something soon. Maybe this week?

Hitting:
Pitching:

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#33 Post by Todd Zola »

The update is in process and should be complete by the weekend.

brooklyn49
Major League Veteran

#34 Post by brooklyn49 »

Ready whenever you are

Hitting:
Pitching:

#35 Post by Guest »

The problem is on my end, not Todd's. I'd estimate a posting either tomorrow night or Tuesday. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#36 Post by Todd Zola »

Hitting posted, pitching should follow within 24 hours.

Sorry for the delay.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#37 Post by Todd Zola »

pitching up

brooklyn49
Major League Veteran

#38 Post by brooklyn49 »

Gents - with waiver deadlines and call ups in the near future, what is the schedule for posting projection? My DL list continues to grow and I am forced to look for players outside my usual range for consideration. I am following the shopping cart and other posts, but would appreciate a start of September set of projections.

Hitting:
Pitching:

brooklyn49
Major League Veteran

#39 Post by brooklyn49 »

Maybe over the Labor Day weekend; or are we done for the year?

Hitting:
Pitching:

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#40 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Will there be a season ending run of CRVC that provides season total dollar values earned in the same formats as the projections (4x4, 5x5, etc.)?
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#41 Post by Todd Zola »

Yes, I will do this but I will not have the monthly breakdowns like I have done in the past. I will likely post the link in Organized Chaos

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#42 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Perfect - season totals are all I'm looking for. Thanks, Todd.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#43 Post by Todd Zola »

da_big_kid_94 wrote:Perfect - season totals are all I'm looking for. Thanks, Todd.
These will go up later.

Single leagues will be in 2 forms -- those that are allowed to keep players that cross leagues and those that play in the old-fashioned SOL format.

brooklyn49
Major League Veteran

#44 Post by brooklyn49 »

How difficult would it be to include a tab with the final raw stats?

Hitting:
Pitching:

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#45 Post by Todd Zola »

I get them from www.dougstats.com.

I am uncomfortable simply re-posting them directly, but you can get them from there.

In the past, we have received stats from sources that agreed to allow us to re-post.

brooklyn49
Major League Veteran

#46 Post by brooklyn49 »

Are the rest-of-year projection done for 2011?

Note: It was last year on this date that I asked the same question and, while I never did see an answer, the fact there were no more updates sort of made it obvious. But I thought I would ask again out of habit.

Hitting:
Pitching:

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#47 Post by Todd Zola »

I'll get an update posted next Thurs/Fri. After that, it is more a matter of tracking September call-ups and playing time which we will do on the front page via columns and the Mastersblog.

This won't sit well with the baseball diehards, but I have been tied up adapting our draft software to football and we hope to have an announcement by the end of the weekend.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#48 Post by Todd Zola »

ETA for this is now on Tuesday, a family situation has delayed it, sorry.