Strasberg for R.Nolasco

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

Strasberg for R.Nolasco

#1 Post by Black Sox »

I'm in a 10 team mix. I drafted Strasberg & Heyward figuring that I'd flip them to a prospect hungry owner. Now that Strasberg is about to pitch I got an offer of Strasberg for R.Nolasco. Is this a no brainer, Nolasco is fine, struggling a little but will be dominate down the stretch?

I did read the other thread going on Strasberg and here's my take....
Think M.Prior 2002 116 Innings 147 K 3.32 ERA 1.17 WHIP. Now Prior made 19 starts in those 116 innings meaning he went on average 6.10 innings per start. He also had 1 CG which Strasberg won't have. But in his starts in AAA besides his last one he's going 80-90 pitches which I think get's him to 5-6 innings per start. I think his ERA will be closer to the 2's then 4's. Side note Prior's manager on the Cubs..... Jim Riggleman current Nationals Manager, same Riggleman who let K.Wood throw 133 P as a rookie he does that with Strasberg and he'll be fired during the game :lol:
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

Captain Hook

Re: Strasberg for R.Nolasco

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Presumably this is a redraft league.....I would never consider that deal in a keeper league of any kind.

I like Nolasco...BUT he has been disappointng this year.
Will they be equal for the balance of the season? Maybe but I wouldn't sell Strasburg that low. If you can't get more than that for him now, I would wait and either get the benefits yourself or wait until after one great start.....hopefully the first one....and then sell really HIGH

Black Sox
Major League All-Star

#3 Post by Black Sox »

Thanks Perry, that's what I was thinking, I just liked Nolasco going into the year and remembered how he dominated down the stretch last year. This is the only league I drafted Strasberg in so I just wanted to make sure I was not over valuing him since he will be limited when he comes up. He should be fun to own.
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

ravenmad

#4 Post by ravenmad »

You could get whatever you want for Strasburg after tonight's start.

Black Sox
Major League All-Star

#5 Post by Black Sox »

Ok I ended up dealing him BEFORE his start. I ended up getting the team to trade me Z.Greinke AND R.Nolasco. I was thrilled, thought he vastly overpaid and did exactly what I wanted to do. So why do I regret the decision so much. Someone talk me down off the ledge. I knew he'd be good, never had a doubt. But how can he go 7 innings AND K 14 batters!!! MY thinking was being a K pitcher and being on the 100 pitch count he'd be out in the 5/6 most starts. I understand this was one game but.....
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

but...

you're only going to get 100 innings from Strasburg and I promise you he will not fan 200 batter in those 100 IP.

The deal is really

Strasburg and the guy knocked out of your staff versus Nolasco and Greinke.

Who was replaced?

Assuming Greinke pitches to his full ability and taking out some of the luck with respect to HR/9 he received last season, the optimist would say Strasburg and Greinke should be similar. The more conservative analyst would still give Greinke the nod. Nolasco is admittedly somewhat of an enigma in that he is quite inconsistent for stretches at a time, but in the end, he is still a quality fantasy performer.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Black Sox
Major League All-Star

#7 Post by Black Sox »

Good point Todd! He knocked Axford out of my active line up currently ( also someone foolishly dropped B.Anderson so he's also stashed in my reserve). Because I made the Strasberg trade, I then delt M.Cain & C.Lewis for M.Holliday. Since I never had Strasberg active I figured swapping M.Cain & C.Lewis for Greinke / Nolasco and adding M.Holliday in place of J.Pierre,who I forgot was included from me in the Strasberg deal but who had become nothing more than a reserve. All in all I feel my team is improved so thats all that really counts.
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc