Stephen Strasburg is a comin' and he's comin' this June

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Stephen Strasburg is a comin' and he's comin' this June

#1 Post by viper »

I'm "only" 64 but I cannot recall the hype over a minor league players similar to that given Strasburg. ESPN is a bit over 30 years old and has been a huge influence in sports for most of those years. The internet has multiple sports sites - and is that an understatement. Many super stars have been drafted, been in the minors, been brought up and retired over these years. But I cannot recall a time when a single player got anywhere this much print and analysts commentaries. After every start multiple ESPN analysts are on TV breaking down his start. I'm waiting for them to show his first AAA run allowed. I suspect they will eventually have an opportunity. No one is this good but, as a Nats fan in a group with season tickets, it is a fun ride.

I fully expect his first start [my guess has been June 4 since the schedule was released] to be aired nationally on ESPN. The stadium will be sold out and the press credential requests would only be exceed by a super star Japanese player of Ichiro stature. I hope June 4 is the date. Projecting a 5-man staff's future starts, I have tickets to his 4th start against KC. Maybe the best thing is that all indications are he is a nice person - well, that fastball may be better.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Captain Hook

Re: Stephen Strasburg is a comin' and he's comin' this June

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

Well I am not quite as old as you are Mike :D
and there wasn't the proliferation of information then, but the
name that popped into my head reading your post was
USC pitcher.......Mark Prior

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

#3 Post by viper »

I thought of him too. I just recall that every single starts was so analyzed by the National media (ESPN). Maybe it was but you almost cannot watch a SportsCenter after a start of his and not get lengthy details.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Skin Blues
Major League Regular

#4 Post by Skin Blues »

Prior came up when I was first getting into fantasy baseball. Turns out the hype isn't always legit, but it sure was with him. They also said he had the perfect motion to avoid arm injuries, which "they" pretty much made a mental 180 on after he destroyed said arm. It'd be great to see Strasburg have the type of success Prior had.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

Everything is relative. An argument can be made the hype about David Clyde was proportionately as high as Prior and now Strasburg based on the extent of coverage at the time.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

deansdaddy

#6 Post by deansdaddy »

Any conversation about recent hyped pitching prospects must include Felix Hernandez.

He was signed right out of high school and made his MLB debut at the age of 19. I remember the hype surrounding "King Felix".

I agree that the hype for Strasburg is different - owing much to the fact that he was the #1 pick in the draft and had an excellent college career.

Felix was signed as a teenager. The Mariners actually had to wait an entire year after discovering him - and then had to compete for his services with other teams - notably the Yankees and Braves. Reportedly, the Braves offered more money - but Felix chose Seattle partly because of the relationship they had built and also because his idol at the time - fellow Venezuelan Freddy Garcia was the Ace of the Mariner staff at the time.

Another one to remember is Rick Ankiel.

Ankiel signed with the Cardinals straight out of high school and was given a $2.5 million signing bonus, the fifth-highest ever given to an amateur player.
He was supposed to be one of the best left-handers to ever pitch. He was dominant in his rookie season striking out 194 in 175 IP.
He was Baseball America’s first team Minor League All-Star starting pitcher in 1998, and he was named minor league player of the year by both Baseball America and USA Today in 1999.

Sadly - he is now lumped with Steve Blass, Steve Sax, Chuck Knoblauch and Mackey Sasser for his loss of the ability to control his throws.

Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 AL-only Auction

#7 Post by Kelly_Leak »

viper wrote:my guess has been June 4 since the schedule was released
Heres hoping your guess is correct as I would end up getting to see his 2nd start.

I will be on a mini vaction in early June, which includes several baseball games along the way. First stop is a visit with friends in Philadelphia, which will include the Phillies vs Marlins on June 9th. Next, is a vist to DC, and a Nationals vs Pirates game on June 10th. And finally, a visit with a college friend in Baltimore which will include an O's vs Mets game on June 13th.
10 Team 5x5 (OBP) AL-Only; 100 FAAB; *6 Keepers
1C: J.Lucroy; 1B: H.Ramirez; 2B: A.Cabrera; 3B: A.Bregman*; SS: R.Martin; MI: M.Semien; CI: C.Davis; OF: C.Stewart, T.Pham*, C.Mullins, J.Bradley, E.Jimenez*; DH: N.Cruz
10P: K.Herrera, C.Rodon, B.Snell*, J.Junis, H.Strickland, J.Verlander, M.Givens, C.Roe, T.Cahill, L.Giolito
Bench: N.Lowe, V.GuerreroJr*, J.Choi, F.Whitley, A.Hays
DL: F.Lindor*, B.Zimmer, D.Duffy

cwk1963

#8 Post by cwk1963 »

I get ESPN updates to my phone and there's hardly a day goes by without something about Strasburg. If he didn't pitch that day they just regurgitate his AAA stats. The coverage has been pretty over the top IMHO.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#9 Post by Todd Zola »

Looks like Strasburg may not debut June 4 after all. The talk is the following week versus Pittsburgh.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

#10 Post by Captain Hook »

...adding to Todd's comments there are now multiple sources that state that Strasburg's first outing in the show will be at home against Pittsburgh in the series that is June 8-10