IP min/max

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
Tig

IP min/max

#1 Post by Tig »

What is a reasonable min/max for IP in a 13 team AL only league with 10 active P spots. Lineups are set weekly. With weekly lineups, you cant 'stream' pitchers, so is there a need for a cap?

Our league is currently set at 1000 min/1400 max.

Just about 1/4 into the season and 8 teams are currently projected to go over that, with 2 more within 35ip of the max limit. 1 team is projected to barely make the minimum, and 2 teams are right smack in the middle, projected close to 1200.

viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Re: IP min/max

#2 Post by viper »

nice question and similar to one I have for my 10 team leagues. With 130 pitchers rostered, I bet the free agent pool is almost empty. Also, I bet nearly every SP is on someone's team.

If your league has a minimum, my opinion is that it needs a cap. And it probably should have both. You probably do not want either an all-SP or all-RP strategy to be easily available. Not because they are inherently wrong in fantasy baseball but because both strategies promote ill-well among the participants. Both are perceived to be bad or unfair. Your 1000-1400 number seems to be OK. There are typically category score penalties for teams that fail to make the minimum. These are in ERA & WHIP. Do you have similar penalties for exceeding the maximum. Just cutting off future totals should not be enough as those teams are depriving the other teams access to SPs.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

4x4 or 5x5?

In 5x5, I honestly see no need for a min or max -- let the manner each owner desires to manage the categories dictate their strategy. JMnotsoHO

4x4, you need enough innings to mitigate a bit against all relievers. The rulebook minimum was 900 IP for 12 team leagues with 9 starters.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

Another vote for NO minimums or maximums......WHAT is the point? You are limiting the ability (and enjoyment) for owners to manage their team the way they want. There is no real reason for it (except "it was in the original rules" or "that's what yahoo does")

There are plenty of necessary rules for fantasy baseball leagues. Innings pitched or at bats or MUST have X SP or RP are not among them.