Can Holland fit on my team?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

Can Holland fit on my team?

#1 Post by CubFan »

I was thinking of adding Derek Holland but not sure who I'd drop for him. If I drop Ziegler (who's next in line for saves) then I'd have 8 starters and I'm thinking I'm asking for trouble in my ERA and WHIP. I could drop Cecil but he's looked good prior to tonight's disaster. And one has to be aware that Holland may be sent back down soon plus he will pitch some at homer heaven Arlington. Take a look at my roster and shoot me some ideas.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

Captain Hook

Re: Can Holland fit on my team?

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

So everyone is active? There is no bench?

If that is the case, my guess is that there are lots of relievers equal/better than Ziegler and I would drop him for Holland.

If Holland keeps pitching well there is not much chance he is pulled from the rotation when Harrison who wasn't pitching that well comes off the DL (and by then there may be other considerations)

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#3 Post by Todd Zola »

The other consideration is that this is a H2H 5x5 league. If you get a bad outing from Holland, you maybe lose that week and it is off the books.

You have to weigh the possible help Ziegler gives to ratios versus the definite help Holland gives to strikeouts and maybe wins against the potential Holland hurts ratios.

Based on the makeup of your staff, I honestly don't see what utility Ziegler has. I'd pound up the strikeouts and give me more chances for a win with Holland, and let the ratios fall where they may.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

actually, I think a bigger issue is carrying Winn, S-Rod and Burrell. I know in a 12 team AL only you will have holes, but that doesn't mean you can't try to plug them as opportunities present themselves.

Is Blalock available? You may want to look into replacing Burrell. Blalock is in process of being called up and Burrell is the likely loser.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by CubFan »

No bench.

Agree about Burrell and Winn. I had Chavez and replaced him with Burrell. If Blalock gets called up today he will be available to be picked up. Ortiz was dropped last week so I'll be looking to bid on him. Ellsbury is on my DL that's why I have Winn. Gabe Gross, Patterson and Ruiz are all that are left of any worth. There are only 1 or 2 relievers that are on par with Ziegler. As you can see the pickings are slim. I suspect Ortiz will generate alot of bids after his 2 homer game.

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -

Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: Rotisserie Auction

#6 Post by Tampa Bob »

Well Blalock's up so better get in a bid. We need another common player.
10 team AL only. 4x4 with strikeouts. No drops without IL or Minors. Can keep 5 up to 3 years if $10 or under.
C: D. Jansen - $3, Y. Diaz - N/A 1B: V. Guerrero - $1 2B: J. Polanco - $4 SS: B. Witt - $1 3B: A. Bregman - $22
CR: E. Duran - $1, UT: J. Westberg - N/A
OF: K. Tucker - $1, J. Rodriguez - $1, E. Oliveras - $1, J. Kelenic - $3, M. Vierling - N/A.
SP: K. Maeta - N/A, T. Skubal - N/A, G. Cole - $46, Z. Eflin - $3, C. Sale - N/A, J. Montgomery - N/A

RP: K. Jansen - $23, C. Holmes - $27.
Minors: G. Rodriguez, A. Volpe, K. Manzardo, B. Lee, C. DeLauter

CubFan
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by CubFan »

I drafted Blalock to start the year but lost him on a technicality as he was not on the 40-man roster. :(

C - Garver $4
UT -
Bench -

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#8 Post by Todd Zola »

I did the same with Austin Kearns. But since it was pretty well known I wanted to re-up my man-crush, it did take a healthy FAAB bid to get him.

So now I am going in pretty hard on Blalock as well as.....hurts to type this......Corey Patterson.