Castro to the show

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Tig

Castro to the show

#1 Post by Tig »

Cubs called up Starlin Castro. he's enroute to Cincy.

any projections for this guy?
where will he bat in the order?

50 Desert Eagles

Re: Castro to the show

#2 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Only 20 yrs old.....Should be interesting. He seems to have some good Double AA stats. Too bad it wasn't AAA though. Could be a sleeper for sure.

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

Castro in parts of three minor league seasons has always hit for a high average - that and some stolen bases will be his immediate fantasy contributions although many scouts feel he will grow into more power as he just turned 20 in March.

For more info click on the examiner link below

PVH

Captain Hook

#4 Post by Captain Hook »

The FAAB price is getting astronomical!

Rob Leibowitz
Major League Regular

#5 Post by Rob Leibowitz »

Note last night's Diamond Exchange. Do not go overboard!
Rob Leibowitz
Mastersball.com
Rob's Column/Blog: The Diamond Exchange

CubFan
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: AL only 5x5 H2H & rotisserie keeper auctions

#6 Post by CubFan »

I too would not break the FAAB bank on him. He had an historic first game but it wouldn't surprise me if he lays an egg the first time up to the bigs.....say something like hitting under .200 in his first 100 ABs. As Rob notes he is a free swinger with a high contact rate (groundballs). I'm watching the Cubs/Cincy game right now and watched a rookie pitcher for the Reds make him look silly with sliders way off the plate and hard stuff in on his hands. I'm willing to bet he will see alot of off-speed away until he shows he can handle it as he does have very fast hands. I think Cub's management panicked in bringing him up now.
12 team AL only 5x5 H2H keeper league. Using OBP, W+QS and S+1/2H

C - Garver $4
1B/3B - Torkelson $1, E. Durna $3 (??)
2B/SS - Royce Lewis $2, Story $13
OF - J Duran $11, Ward $7
UT -
SP - Hunter Brown $6, Ryan $22
RP - Fairbanks $6, Duran $16
Bench -

Captain Hook

#7 Post by Captain Hook »

well rookie pitchers named Mike Leake made lots of Cubs look like poor hitters.

Castro will be fine...he is NOT a guy who will hit very many HR (this year) or have that many RBI in a week very often.....so depends on league context...he is an absolute MUST to get if now owned in NL keeper leagues.

Rob Leibowitz
Major League Regular

#8 Post by Rob Leibowitz »

a hate to disagree with Perry but his \upside is Placido Polanco or perhaps Howie kendrick. Of course you won't get him if you hedge your FAAB bid. If you need someone who is likely to get a lot of at bats and hit for average, then he's good. Keep in mind that he is not speedy, so I am somewhat skeptical of the batting average potential too as he will not be able to fall back and rely on a .340 to .350 BABIP that speedsters with a similar skill set can, so like Kendrick, he'll have to develop gap power or better to hit for average.
Rob Leibowitz
Mastersball.com
Rob's Column/Blog: The Diamond Exchange

Captain Hook

#9 Post by Captain Hook »

Well I said a must in KEEPER leagues.....because the power will come....he turned 20 in late March.

And he will add some stolen bases...not blazing speed and needs to be taught more - his percentage was low in the minors - but is aggressive and has had 20+

For this year regardless of format I would expect a decent BA and R/RBI/HR/SB above replacement value at SS/MI