Advice for starting out in strato matic.

Scoresheet, Strat-o-Matic, Bill James, Diamond Legends, Simulations, OOTP, etc.
Walla Walla

Advice for starting out in strato matic.

#1 Post by Walla Walla »

I use to play with a friend who owned the game. This was many many years ago. I'm almost as old as Perry! I'm looking for a different way to enjoy baseball. I do roto but I'd like to try something new. I mean old. If you were to encourage someone to get involved with stato matic leagues what is the best way to start?? Buy the game and play by yourself for a year to get a feel for the game? Which cards to buy? I'm really starting off from scratch. Any and help is welcome.

Thanks

lawr
Major League All-Star

Re: Advice for starting out in strato matic.

#2 Post by lawr »

There are a couple of places I would look to get my feet wet again...

http://fantasygames.sportingnews.com/stratomatic/ which is the Sporting News online site, the official site of the game online. You can join a league there and get back into a groove in short shots. Each league runs around nine weeks, and there are a ton of formats.

Then there is http://www.strat-o-maticmedia.com/ which is a site of strat users who are playing the game in hometown leagues. For this you would need to buy the game disc and find a league, so this is the parallel version of the game you used to play, rolling the dice etc (that is still possible even, but well, most leagues are spread around so it is not always practical).

From the second site you might find a league to join.

As with a lot of fanatics, I came back to Strat five years ago and now the 30-team league in which i play (along with JP) is my favorite. hard, but a fave. Perennial keeper, NL/AL leagues based upon the majors schedule. Big fun.

The big things to remember in getting back into it is defense really does matter, as does speed and platooning and exploiting OBP and WHIP.

Walla Walla

Re: Advice for starting out in strato matic.

#3 Post by Walla Walla »

Thank you great wise one. I'll be looking into these sites. Thanks again!!!