trade advice - Scherzer for Jose Guillen

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
mjlewis
Major League Veteran

trade advice - Scherzer for Jose Guillen

#1 Post by mjlewis »

I feel like I know what I'm doing in the league I've done for a couple years (NL-only, very deep rosters) but in this mixed league I have no idea...

10 teams, mix, 5x5 using OBP, 8-man reserve list.

My team:
Napoli
Posada
Adrian Gonzalez
Utley
Tulowitzki
Cantu
Berkman
Reyes
Konerko
Sizemore
Pence
McLouth
Alex Rios
Rajai Davis
Francoeur
Sean Rodriguez

Beckett
Lackey
De La Rosa
Duchscherer
Carmona
Danks
Scherzer
Rodney
Colby Lewis
Rauch
Francisco Cordero
Braden
Cliff Lee
Huston Street

I'm in first place despite being last in OBP and below average in WHIP.

Is it worth trading a starter (Scherzer) for Jose Guillen? I feel like I have more than nine pitchers that I'm willing to start week to week (and that's before Lee and Street get back) and my outfield feels kind of mediocre.

Also, should I be trying to trade an infielder or should I just sit on what I have and be happy that I have a very good backup if anyone goes down? I feel like I could pick up a decent backup if someone got hurt (Huff, Rolen, Alex Gonzalez, etc).

actually I should probably pick up Alex Gonzalez for Sean Rodriguez or something like that. But in general, given how shallow the league is, is there much point in worrying about having good backups?

- Mike

Captain Hook

Re: trade advice - Scherzer for Jose Guillen

#2 Post by Captain Hook »

1) I would definitely trade Scherzer (from surplus for you even if he turns it around) for Jose Guillen and ride the hot streak(s)

2) You already have Rodriguez as a backup 2B/MI.....Gonzalez is very streaky and you have likely missed the best part of his season and Rodriguez has pop if he can stay in the lineup even in a platoon/PH situation, so I would not make that switch.

alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

Re: trade advice - Scherzer for Jose Guillen

#3 Post by alleyoops »

Disclaimer - I run the league and have never won it, in 26 years of trying, so ymmv. :-)

Although it's a shallow league, the bench of 8 players means that the FA pool is not quite as strong as might be thought otherwise. So I think decent backups on your bench do have some value.

That said, since it's a keeper league, there's a premium on finding young studs-to-be early on. For that reason alone, I'd hang on to Rodriguez.

On the pitchers, while you do have more than 9 playable, it is nice to have the flexibility to choose your matchups each week. Also, we can start 10 pitchers in this league, which you might consider if many of your P's have good matchups.