Nelson Cruz/ Mark Teixeira

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
rsvp_nj
Triple-A
Preferred Style: 5x5 Roto

Nelson Cruz/ Mark Teixeira

#1 Post by rsvp_nj »

A team in my ten-team league might be willing to trade Teixeira. He's a Yankee-hater, so the opportunity is there.

The only hitter I can offer back to him of similar value is Nelson Cruz. He's been trying to get Polanco from me so the trade I'm thinking of offering is Cruz/Polanco for Teixeira/Cody Ross or possibly Teixeira/Jurrgens which would be better for me.

Two weeks ago I make these offers in a second but with Cruz's start and potential keeper status for next year I'm not so sure now. I figure a few more HR's from Cruz, better BA from Texiera, RBI about the same. Maybe I'd be taking advantage and selling "high" on Cruz (and Polanco) or would it be a mistake? I didn't list my roster details since the two players are so similar. BUT...

A bigger factor is salary - our league is a keeper league where a kept player's salary increases for next year by $5. 2011 salaries would be $21 for Cruz, $39 for Teixeira. Should Cruz go on to be a dominant slugger he's certainly a good one to keep @ $21 next year. (3 years is the Max for keepers)

Who would you rather have?

deansdaddy

Re: Nelson Cruz/ Mark Teixeira

#2 Post by deansdaddy »

Hard to answer without seeing the rest of your offense. Ross really doesn't excite me in a 10 team league and who do you have to play at 2B if you trade Polanco? That to me is the key - if you have another option at 2B and can afford to lose Cruz - then okay. Who's at 1B for you now - that's another question?

ksenor

#3 Post by ksenor »

Yup...let us see the rest of your roster....

rsvp_nj
Triple-A

#4 Post by rsvp_nj »

OK - I currently have Votto at 1B and if I lose Polanco, Prado would become my second baseman. If I added Teixeira, Votto would be my CI and Adam LaRoche would see the bench or serve as my utility hitter. It's a ten-team mixed league so there are players out there. The other side of that is the competition is also stacked with bats.

Regarding outfielders, I don't need Cody Ross, but the Tex owner has been looking to trade him. My OF'ers in addition to Nelson Cruz are Ichiro, Heyward, and Ibanez, with Coghlan on the bench.

If I added Cody Ross, chances are either he or Coghlan would be cut once I need another FA. I guess my second question would be who's more valuable between those two - Ross or Coghlan.

rsvp_nj
Triple-A

#5 Post by rsvp_nj »

ksenor wrote:Yup...let us see the rest of your roster....
Back ups in parentheses
1B Votto
2B Polanco (Prado)
SS Hanley R.
3B Aramis Ramirez (Chris Davis)
MI Bartlett
CI Michael Young (Adam LaRoche)
OF Nelson Cruz
OF Ichiro
OF Ibanez
OF Heyward (Coghlan)
UT Billy Butler

SP1 Grienke
SP2 Verlander
SP3 Hudson
SP4 Neimann
SP5 Harden
SP6 Leake
RP Nunez
RP Soria
RP Dotel
Bench -Sheets, Qualls, Webb (IR)

Obviously with that many under-performers this far in a 10 team mixed league I am in distant 10th place so far. I'm a veteran so there's no panic here. I went overboard buying injury risk pitchers at a discount, relying on Verlander and Grienke to be my anchors. The other strategy of saving money with closers looks to have been a good one so far.

lawr
Major League All-Star

#6 Post by lawr »

why don't you offer to give him laroche and polanco for just teix? or something like that? guys like two for one.

Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

#7 Post by Black Sox »

I wouldn't make the deal since this is a keeper league. From here on out Tex puts up better numbers overall ( although the SB you'll get from Cruz are nice bonus). I will say I do enjoy trading for slow starters because if you belive they'll end up with their "normal" numbers than they must "overperform" to get there.
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

Mickey4081

#8 Post by Mickey4081 »

I don't think that's a trade worth making. It's not like your starving for CI help with Votto, Butler, Young and Laroche......pass.