Brandon Webb

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

Brandon Webb

#1 Post by Black Sox »

What are people's thoughts. I've been holding on to him in a few leagues but it's getting harder and harder, I've had to miss out on a few early surprises because of the lack of a roster spot. Would you keep him over Aroldis Chapman?
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

50 Desert Eagles

Re: Brandon Webb

#2 Post by 50 Desert Eagles »

Tough Call....right now, it seems they both may be active around the same time frame....based on that I would take the PROVEN player in Webb....he should be well rested!

Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

#3 Post by Black Sox »

Every week it's a tough call to keep him on my roster. I'm worried that they STILL can't figure out what's really wrong. That's what makes me scared I'm gonna hold on to him for 1/2 a season and still get nothing!
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Realistically speaking ...why would you want Chapman? He has no track record of accomplishments, he would play in one of the most homer friendly ballparks in MLB and he has Dusty Baker as his manager. I could see you dumping Webb for someone else ...if and when he comes back, he may be great ... or he may be B.J Ryan all over again. But for Chapman? No.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

[quote="Black Sox"]What are people's thoughts. I've been holding on to him in a few leagues but it's getting harder and harder, I've had to miss out on a few early surprises because of the lack of a roster spot. Would you keep him over Aroldis Chapman?[/quote]

Hell NO

Webb has just been moved to the 60 day DL, which is more procedural, but shows that Arizona has no belief that he can return any time soon......even if Webb is ready to pitch by the time Chapman comes up (late May or June), he will still have injury question marks and will not be the Brandon Webb you remember and hope to get

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#6 Post by Todd Zola »

To me this is a matter of the proverbial would you rather dance with the devil you know (Webb) or don't know (Chapman)?

That said, we DON'T KNOW a little something about Webb but we DO KNOW a little something about Chapman.

What we don't know about Webb is when he will come back and how effective and durable he will be when he does'

What we know about Chapman is he has electric stuff, though unrefined.

There is no RIGHT answer. It is up to your personal level of risk aversion.

Ideally, I prefer to be in a position where I do not NEED some unexpectedly strong performance. So I don't have Chapman or Strasburg on a single roster, Heyward either for that matter.

I do have Webb on a couple of teams. In both instances, he was taken at a point in the draft or cost in an auction what I consider to be a replaceable amount. That is, the player I could have acquired instead is of the quality I can replace him with now, and if I get the upside, YAHTZEE.

With all that said, if I were making a deal and the "throw in" was either Webb or Chapman, I would likely take Chapman for the potential upside. I'm not counting on it or expecting it, but he has a chance to be special. Plus he has name recognition that I could flip after one strong outing :)
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord