NL minors pick - on the clock

Minor Leaguers, prospects, projects, and suspects.
alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

NL minors pick - on the clock

#1 Post by alleyoops »

My turn in the 2nd round of our NL only 5x5 minors draft. Player must have had zero appearances in the majors as of last Monday. Kept/taken are: Strasburg, S.Castro, Alonzo, D.Brown, D.Norris, Morrison, F.Freeman, P.Alvarez, Stanton, D.Gordon, Lawrie, Heyward, Vitters, I.Davis, Tabata, Storen, Frazier, J.Castro, S.Miller. Bought in the auction: Chapman, EYoung Jr, Bumgarner. Leake, A.Escobar, Chacin, Runzler not eligible.

I expect to contend this year, but this player can be kept in the minors at a $1 salary indefinitely, as long as he doesn't appear in the majors. So either short or long-term is viable.

Looking at Jason's Top 100 for 2010, the next guys on the list would be Heisey, Craig, Neal, Friedrich. I'm a sucker for high-K pitchers, so leaning towards Friedrich.

Suggestions/comments?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: NL minors pick - on the clock

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

Philosophically, especially when I am in go-for-it mode, a minor league prospects greatest value to me is as a trade chit. With that in mind, the only issue I have with Friedrich is the Colorado pitching stigma.

If I thought my league was familiar with him, I would rather take Hiesey and play up the hitter's park aspect of the GAB.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

mjlewis
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by mjlewis »

Jenrry Mejia? Bryce Harper?

I took Zach Braddock in one of mine on the basis of him having a very good spring training and the Brewers not having a great bullpen; if Hoffman goes down it's going to be LaTroy Hawkins or Braddock, I think.

- Mike

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

With so many closers becoming available over the course of the season, I don't agree with using a valuable minors pick on someone so speculative. Drew Storen, maybe, as he has the name recognition for trades as evidenced by the fact he isn't available in this league.

Not to mention old friend Carlos Villanueva has a 10:1 K:BB in 5 IP.

Plus Coffey has yet to give up a run. Granted, the number crunchers don't like his peripherals, but I suspect Ken Macha only looks at the 0 in the ER column.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

#5 Post by Captain Hook »

alleyoops wrote:My turn in the 2nd round of our NL only 5x5 minors draft. Player must have had zero appearances in the majors as of last Monday. Kept/taken are: Strasburg, S.Castro, Alonzo, D.Brown, D.Norris, Morrison, F.Freeman, P.Alvarez, Stanton, D.Gordon, Lawrie, Heyward, Vitters, I.Davis, Tabata, Storen, Frazier, J.Castro, S.Miller. Bought in the auction: Chapman, EYoung Jr, Bumgarner. Leake, A.Escobar, Chacin, Runzler not eligible.

I expect to contend this year, but this player can be kept in the minors at a $1 salary indefinitely, as long as he doesn't appear in the majors. So either short or long-term is viable.

Looking at Jason's Top 100 for 2010, the next guys on the list would be Heisey, Craig, Neal, Friedrich. I'm a sucker for high-K pitchers, so leaning towards Friedrich.

Suggestions/comments?
of those - Heisey and I don't think it's close

alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

#6 Post by alleyoops »

Thanks everyone - went with Heisey.