Who has more value in AL 4x4 $5 J Rivera or $20 Damon?

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
whammer
Major League Regular

Who has more value in AL 4x4 $5 J Rivera or $20 Damon?

#1 Post by whammer »

Keeper list due, can keep only one...who would you keep...approx 30% inflation, NY guys a little more as a NY league.

W

cwk1963

Re: Who has more value in AL 4x4 $5 J Rivera or $20 Damon?

#2 Post by cwk1963 »

Since your list is due and we can't wait until playing time flushes out, I'd go with Rivera. The Yankees situation is still very much up in the air as far as that goes. They have Nady, Damon, Swisher, Matsui, Melky and Gardner all looking for ABs. Cashman has said everyone will get some time. The rumors have it they're offering Swisher for trade but other teams would rather have Nady (with one rumor having him going back to the Bucs). Scioscia was interviewed on XM a couple weeks ago and he said Rivera was his LF going into spring. Aside from that, there's a little more profit in Rivera and not as much risk.

ayebatter

#3 Post by ayebatter »

Damon is worth about $12 before inflation / Rivera about a buck, unless he gets 550 ABs, then he's Vernon Wells ($13?).

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#4 Post by Todd Zola »

In AL only 4x4, Damon is still a $20 player, assuming health which cannot be assumed.

Rivera is projected to be the starting LF, which would put his value into the low teens.

So from a pure profit/risk view, Rivera is the clear play.

The ONLY reason for keeping Damon, and this is valid reason under the right circumstances is if you absolutely need his SB, base on your keepers and the anticipated keepers of others. In a league with "dump trading", I am less inclined to worry about this at the draft. Actually, another reason for keeping Rivera is at $5, he could be an attractive trade chit, depending on your rules.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

ayebatter

#5 Post by ayebatter »

ayebatter wrote:Damon is worth about $12 before inflation / Rivera about a buck, unless he gets 550 ABs, then he's Vernon Wells ($13?).

Missed the 'AL' part of this - in which, yes Damon is worth $20-21, and yes with 550 ABs Rivera is still Vernon Wells and about $20.

Keep Rivera @ $5.

#6 Post by Guest »

I'm a little less profit oriented here - but the real issue is you lose Damon's R ability in a 4X4 league, to me this is a tough call. Damon will get plenty of AB and will probably earn his salary, Rivera will hit for some power but his AVG is certainly in question, and right now they have Anderson/Hunter/Matthews/Willits/Vlad/Morales also in the mix before adding another bat, you have to assume you get say teens out of Rivera and 20 out of Damon, it's a pretty tight decision. Probably depends how well you think you can spend the $15, because in some situations, I just want to roster the talent and deal with everything else later.

Tig

#7 Post by Tig »

Id probably keep Rivera, thinking you could probably get Damon back for about the same amount.