Why Joe Maddon can kiss my....

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.

Why Joe Maddon can kiss my....

#1 Post by Guest »

I commented I believe in one of the profiles that Joe Maddon was responsible for at least a quarter point on James Shields' ERA last season trying to steal extra innings from Shields after he'd go 2 in 7, and then leave him out there to give up a couple more runs in the 8th. Like clockwork really.

Sure enough, David Price tonight. 2 in 7, 95 or so pitches, his first start of the year. So of course, Maddon has to leave him out there with a bullpen that's stacked because, well, thats what he does. So Price gives up 4 baserunners in an inning, another run, and only Cormier whiffing Swisher with the bases loaded saves him from more damage.

Makes me want to tear my hair out.

Bodhizefa
Major League Veteran

Re: Why Joe Maddon can kiss my....

#2 Post by Bodhizefa »

GaryJ wrote: Makes me want to tear my hair out.
At least you have hair left to pull! I've moved onto my cat, and she's not very happy about it.
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay Puft! We used to roast Stay-Puft marshmallows, by the fire, at Camp Waconda.

Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 AL-only Auction

#3 Post by Kelly_Leak »

In defense of Maddon, Niemann did get knocked out in the 2nd yesterday.
10 Team 5x5 (OBP) AL-Only; 100 FAAB; *6 Keepers
1C: J.Lucroy; 1B: H.Ramirez; 2B: A.Cabrera; 3B: A.Bregman*; SS: R.Martin; MI: M.Semien; CI: C.Davis; OF: C.Stewart, T.Pham*, C.Mullins, J.Bradley, E.Jimenez*; DH: N.Cruz
10P: K.Herrera, C.Rodon, B.Snell*, J.Junis, H.Strickland, J.Verlander, M.Givens, C.Roe, T.Cahill, L.Giolito
Bench: N.Lowe, V.GuerreroJr*, J.Choi, F.Whitley, A.Hays
DL: F.Lindor*, B.Zimmer, D.Duffy

#4 Post by Guest »

I love Joe Maddon. In 2004 I wanted him to get the Red Sox job instead of Francona (and still believe he'd have done a similar job). But he has this one issue. And it's not just because of Niemann yesterday. He tries to steal that 8th inning more than any manager in baseball.

Now, Nolan Ryan might love it. But it's not working at least from an effectiveness standpoint. Watching the 8th, the announcers were commenting clearly at how Price was tiring.

Tampa Bob
Major League Veteran
Preferred Style: Rotisserie Auction

#5 Post by Tampa Bob »

Wasn't Shouse the chief firebomber last year? I also had Shields last year and bought him again thinking he'd be safer this year.
10 team AL only. 4x4 with strikeouts. No drops without IL or Minors. Can keep 5 up to 3 years if $10 or under.
C: D. Jansen - $3, Y. Diaz - N/A 1B: V. Guerrero - $1 2B: J. Polanco - $4 SS: B. Witt - $1 3B: A. Bregman - $22
CR: E. Duran - $1, UT: J. Westberg - N/A
OF: K. Tucker - $1, J. Rodriguez - $1, E. Oliveras - $1, J. Kelenic - $3, M. Vierling - N/A.
SP: K. Maeta - N/A, T. Skubal - N/A, G. Cole - $46, Z. Eflin - $3, C. Sale - N/A, J. Montgomery - N/A

RP: K. Jansen - $23, C. Holmes - $27.
Minors: G. Rodriguez, A. Volpe, K. Manzardo, B. Lee, C. DeLauter