Keep Hoffman or Putz

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
drapes

Keep Hoffman or Putz

#1 Post by drapes »

14 Team H2H Mixed Dynasty League - Keep 20

I've got 19...

Offense:
C - Vic Mart
1B - Derek Lee
2B - Robinson Cano
3B - Miguel Cabrera
SS - Yunel Escobar
OF - Manny Ramirez, Adam Dunn, Xavier Nady
UTIL - Lance Berkman
UTIL - Chipper Jones

Pitchers:
Roy Halladay
Brandon Webb
Dan Haren
Roy Oswalt
Ted Lilly
Randy Johnson
Manny Parra
Joe Nathan
Kerry Wood

Choose one of:

JJ Putz, Trevor Hoffman, Kevin Kouzmanoff, Kosuke Fukudome

I'm thinking Kouz and Fuk-me are the first cuts.

Do you go with Putz who is said to be getting 1 of 3 save opps for the Mets this year or,
Old Balls... er... Hells Bells aka Trevor Hoffman for your final keeper?

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: Keep Hoffman or Putz

#2 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

I think you keep Hoffman. Putz is coming off injury and I have a huge distrust of column filler uttered during the off season. Virtually no one remembers these statements once the season starts, so I'd have to see Manuel actually do this before buying into it. By my count, there are 3 major league closer jobs that don't even have a name attached to them (Brewers, Mariners, Tigers) and several others where the closer is there in name only (Florida, St. Louis, Washington, Texas). I'd be more likely to think Hoffman would wind up in one of those places, rather than a guy coming off injury who's behind a new closer who's never really been hurt.

Good luck.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

duneraider

#3 Post by duneraider »

for me it is not that easy - Hoffman could retire and i do like a MR with good vulture/ save otential with high K - Putz must be a top three pre-season in that category - Marmol was probably as valuable as Hoffman last year.

many people like Kouz as well - if the avg comes back up - pre all star he was pretty good last year with the last 6 weeks dragging his overall numbers down. i woldn't rule him out with some injury prone players on your squad

drapes

#4 Post by drapes »

Well I've currently put Fukudome, Kouz, Nady, Putz, Hoffman, Guthrie and Kurt Suzuki on the block with a note saying any combination of the 7 can be had for 1 player that upgrades my OF or P keepers, so we'll see how that goes. Otherwise it looks like the best move might be to wait to see where Hoffman ends up. I agree with duneraider regarding Putz and Kouz, but if Hoffman can bring in 30 saves, that probably meets my team needs more than having a stud MR like Putz. Kouz I like for what he is, but saves currently trump his offensive contributions in terms of my team needs.

I would love to hear anyone else's take as well. If you have an opinion, please pass it on.

drapes

cwk1963

#5 Post by cwk1963 »

I'm one of those who has thought for a couple years now that K-rod's violent motion would cause him problems. Well, I've been w-w-w-w-w-w-wrong. I don't believe any of the talk either that Putz will see any regular chances for a save like has been floating around. The Mutts arguably collapsed last year because of their bullpen and specifically lack of a reliable closer. They now have a solid 8th inning guy to go along with their new stopper and I don't see them straying from that at all. I agree that Hoffman still has some saves in his arm and, as has been said, there's a number of teams that will want them when all is said and done. I'd go with him.

Bodhizefa
Major League Veteran

#6 Post by Bodhizefa »

I love Putz to death for what he did for my M's, but there's no way I'd take him over Hoffman as long as the Hoff signs with a team as their closer. He's still got enough value left in a league like our's and for a team like your's that he's the guy you need to hold onto over Putz.
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something I loved from my childhood. Something that could never ever possibly destroy us. Mr. Stay Puft! We used to roast Stay-Puft marshmallows, by the fire, at Camp Waconda.