Thought on approach for tomorrow morning's draft.

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
viper
Hall of Famer
Preferred Style: Currently in an AL-only league with the Bill James Technical RCA as the single hitting category and ERA as the single pitching category.

Thought on approach for tomorrow morning's draft.

#1 Post by viper »

I am in a 10-team straight NL-only draft at 8am tomorrow. You can only draft players on the 25-man roster or DL'ed players like Webb. No Possy, Strasburg, Chapman, Leake [not up yet] nor Storen can be drafted. There is no bench to stash anyone. Stats are retroactive for week one. There may or may not be an FFAB period on Sunday. Draft positions are drawn just before the draft. The snake is not normal. Rounds 1 & 2 are up and back. Rounds 3 & 4 go 15-1-15. I don't know the exact pattern but each pair of rounds starts at a different location. This is my 2nd year in the league and I have no idea of why is it this way but it is. The 10 categories are the normal 10.

Looking at the tiers, it appears that SS is real bottom heavy but the other hitting positions seem balanced. I do not see the high numbers of OFs until you get to the lower 50% of the players (under $12). It also seems prudent to take a SP early, maybe round two.

I'm open to insights and suggestions on a good approach.
The avalanche has started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote. -- Ambassador Kosh

Mike Ladd
Buffy, the Umpire Slayer

alleyoops
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 slow auctions

Re: Thought on approach for tomorrow morning's draft.

#2 Post by alleyoops »

Wouldn't force a SP early - i.e. go with best player available in the early rounds. Not sure the funny ordering matters that much. Even if it isn't balanced, you have as good a shot at getting an advantage from your draw as a disadvantage, and no real way to plan for it.

I'd be aware of the biggest producers so far and bump them up a little. Similarly, maybe shy away from a P who got shelled, or at least downgrade a bit. I imagine C is the only really scarce position, if the league requires 2, so other than C I'd let the draft dictate the position strategy - not vice versa.