John Bowker/Nate Schierholtz

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Kelly_Leak
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 AL-only Auction

John Bowker/Nate Schierholtz

#1 Post by Kelly_Leak »

I admittedly know nothing about Bowker or Schierholtz except that both are relatively the same age (within 7 months) and both produced fairly well in AAA Fresno when they were there. I know MB projected Schierholtz to get the lion's share of ABs, but it looks like Bowker currently has the leg up.

Does anyone have any insight on RF position in SF?
- Which player is better for Ave?
- Which has more power?
- Which has more SB potential?
- Who is the better defensive player?
10 Team 5x5 (OBP) AL-Only; 100 FAAB; *6 Keepers
1C: J.Lucroy; 1B: H.Ramirez; 2B: A.Cabrera; 3B: A.Bregman*; SS: R.Martin; MI: M.Semien; CI: C.Davis; OF: C.Stewart, T.Pham*, C.Mullins, J.Bradley, E.Jimenez*; DH: N.Cruz
10P: K.Herrera, C.Rodon, B.Snell*, J.Junis, H.Strickland, J.Verlander, M.Givens, C.Roe, T.Cahill, L.Giolito
Bench: N.Lowe, V.GuerreroJr*, J.Choi, F.Whitley, A.Hays
DL: F.Lindor*, B.Zimmer, D.Duffy

Rob Leibowitz
Major League Regular

Re: John Bowker/Nate Schierholtz

#2 Post by Rob Leibowitz »

Yep - It was a last day of spring training decision - Bowker ended up winning the RF job over Schierholtz due to the latter's poor spring training performance.

Here's the comparison -

Shierholtz plays better defense than Bowker. He's not noted for his plate discipline, but he makes pretty good contact and can hit for average and keeps his platoon splits reasonable. However, the result of this approach makes him more of a line-drive/mid-teens HR guy. In other words, his upside is Aaron Rowand.

Bowker is not noted for his patience either and is someone who strikes out about a quarter of the time in his minor league career. What he does have is loft in his swing and the power turn some of those FB into home runs. While he can succeed somewhat with this approach against righties, it won't fly against lefties. Bowker's a low-average/power guy and I'd be hard pressed to ever see him getting 400 or more at-bats in a single season given his overall limitations in terms of OBP and defense.

Both players, given their aggressive approaches, strike me as highly prone to streaks and slumps as well. For 2010 purposes I still would support Schierholtz ending up with more PA than Bowker. I'd also consider the possibility that neither player is a starter by the end of the season and that the Giants go looking for another option altogether.

-Rob
Rob Leibowitz
Mastersball.com
Rob's Column/Blog: The Diamond Exchange

Skin Blues
Major League Regular

Re: John Bowker/Nate Schierholtz

#3 Post by Skin Blues »

I had both of these guys in an NL only league, counting on starting one of them. From what I've read (way more google news searches than are warranted) Schierholtz hits for average but is below average in terms of OBP and SLG. He plays great defense though, which I had thought would translate into a shot at starting due to the complicated layout of RF in San Fran. Well, Bowker got the job, and also has the edge hitting-wise with better projected OBP/SLG and more homers. Which would be great if he could be counted on to keep the job, but his weak defense makes that far from a sure thing. Then there's Andres Torres, who started in RF the other night. The best bet in my opinion - and I guess I've literally bet on it by dropping Schierholtz - is to keep Bowker and hope he gets hot enough to make up for his lack of defense. I'd be more than pleased if he kept the job and ended up with 15-70-70-0.275 but I'm not holding my breath...