Pitching help

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
91OSUAlum

Pitching help

#1 Post by 91OSUAlum »

In a 5x5 mixed league and took some chances with Webb at $14, Blanton at $5 and Street at $14 but need to add some starters until Webb and Blanton come back.

Would you go with strong MR like Medlen, Okajima, Moylan, Sherrill or take chances on guys like R. Lopez, Dave Bush, Jason Marquis, Aaron Cook?

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

Re: Pitching help

#2 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

Without knowing how many other teams are involved, what other pitchers you may already have, what the waiver pool may look line and you stating you need more starters, I can't see how any MR helps you. As for the starters you named, the only one I would consider is Aaron Cook. Lopez is a retread in a hitting park, Bush never quite put it all together, and welcome to Washington, Mr. Marquis.
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

deansdaddy

#3 Post by deansdaddy »

Before reading kid's response I was thinking Cook as well. I think his analysis is correct. Cook has the best offense behind him and pitches in a great division in terms of opponents offense/ballparks - I'd go with Cook for sure.

91OSUAlum

#4 Post by 91OSUAlum »

More details.

16 teams. Player pool is All of the NL and half of the AL teams(OAK, TEX, DET, NYY, BOS, CLE, TOR)

Other choices for pitchers are

Oliver Perez
Felipe Paulino
Manny Parra
Doug Davis
Todd Wellemeyer
Tim Stauffer
Sean West
Andrew Miller
Dontrelle Willis

Or should I keep it open for some call ups or take chances on guys like Kris Medlen hopng they get in.

Thanks in advance.

deansdaddy

#5 Post by deansdaddy »

I still like Cook the best - what's the rest of your rotation look like?

91OSUAlum

#6 Post by 91OSUAlum »

B. Webb
J Blanton
K Correia
K Lohse
K Kawakami
P Maholm

Closers are Matt Capp at $16, C Perez at $5 and Huston Street at $14.

Did not decide to go spend on closers but their cost was very reasonable. Can trade one of them during the season.

da_big_kid_94
Hall of Famer

#7 Post by da_big_kid_94 »

From that list? It's still Cook. As for Medlen (if it IS going to be him) - can you see any way he cracks the rotation if one of the 5 current starters doesn't get hurt - or are you hoping Kawakami still has problems from last year?
These are my views based on my own opinions and observations - your mileage may vary.
"KNOW THY LEAGUE" - the Forum Funklord - 4/13/2009
Fantasy is managing stats ... roto is managing teams

91OSUAlum

#8 Post by 91OSUAlum »

No, I have no hopes of that. Since it is a 5x5, thought I should add some short term Ks and WHIP help.

lawr
Major League All-Star

#9 Post by lawr »

well, i cannot say i am a jason marquis fan, but...

in 2009 his season splits were:
first half: 10-5, 3.65
second half: 5-8, 4.56

in 2008:
first half: 6-5, 4.44
second half: 5-4, 4.66

in 2007:
first half: 6-5, 3.67
second half: 6-4, 5.73

now, i only looked at the past three years, but i am pretty sure he is one of those guys who is always a lot better the first half than second, so i would not be so quick to dismiss him.

i did have marquis in my strat league for a few years, and with good defense behind him, he can be pretty good in that format, btw.