Who has the better upside at C ?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Montreal77

Who has the better upside at C ?

#1 Post by Montreal77 »

I drafted Soto, but Doumit is available. Anyone have any projections? I read that Soto came into camp more determined and some LBS. lighter. But hit .216 this spring.

Which guy is the better option?

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Who has the better upside at C ?

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

While it matters a little what stats you are looking for (Doumit higher average, Soto more power), I know of one site that some feel has respectable projections that place Soto as the #6 catcher and Doumit at #12.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Montreal77

#3 Post by Montreal77 »

Thanks Todd! I am struggling with this position. I had Soto during the 23 HR 86 RBI rookie campaign...so I am a sucker / believer in what he can do. But someone dropped Doumit, and his numbers look good not having put up a full season.

I usually buy the Sporting News and Fantasy Baseball Index mags to start the year. Both have Doumit higher, but other sites online have Soto higher. Plus, Doumit has had the better spring. So, I am on the fence.

Thanks for your reply.

cwk1963

#4 Post by cwk1963 »

In case you may not have known, the same site Todd was talking about has projections out December 1st so you may not have to purchase those mags. Just saying on the chance you don't subscribe to that site ;) .

lawr
Major League All-Star

#5 Post by lawr »

with the Z-man. like doumit, but soto has much more upside and a better cast of characters around him.

deansdaddy

#6 Post by deansdaddy »

While I like Doumit - don't second guess yourself on Soto yet. Much more upside with Soto. Also - Doumit hasn't exactly been able to put together a healthy season.

By NO means do you cut Soto to pick up Doumit. If you have another guy you can cut to grab Doumit - go ahead. You just may be able to deal one of them for an upgrade somewhere else. But - if Doumit is available I expect it's a pretty shallow league.

Montreal77

#7 Post by Montreal77 »

Yes, its only a 10-team league. Pretty shallow... and with no CI or MI positions, there are alot of quality guys out there. I have one more bench spot since I will be dropping Polanco at the end of the week and sliding Gordon Beckham into the 2B slot once he qualifies after 5 starts.

Thanks for the advice. I just might grab him and hold both for April... just to see what happens.

ksenor

#8 Post by ksenor »

In that shallow of a league, I would not waste a reserve spot on a catcher.

AllstonRockCity

#9 Post by AllstonRockCity »

ksenor wrote:In that shallow of a league, I would not waste a reserve spot on a catcher.
unless its a daily league, then you start your bench catcher every 5th day or day games after night games, etc.