Jack Cust

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
AllstonRockCity

Jack Cust

#1 Post by AllstonRockCity »

He has indeed been DFA'd.

Any chance that either:
1. the projection set will be updated prior to thursday to reflect this, or
2. Todd or someone else could post what the intended PA redistribution would be for the next update?

With my auction on Saturday and my work schedule being tight this week, I need to use the 4/1 projections at the auction and don't have time to use the 4/8 set. I was hoping to make my cheat sheet Monday night, so any info that I could get before then would be most appreciated.

Thank You

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

Re: Jack Cust

#2 Post by Todd Zola »

I am going to be 100% honest here -- whatever we do is speculation and like all playing time decisions, what you feel will happen is more important than what we feel will happen.

The key is Landon Powell is still optioned. This means Fox will still not see many non-catcher at bats. Chavez is supposed to be the DH but it is hard to believe he is a better option than Fox with Powell back up. There is where your own feeling comes into play. We'll adjust Fox, Chavez and Powell and Buck to account for Coco, but while it is a bit above dart throwing, we are not gazing into a crystal ball either.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

Captain Hook

#3 Post by Captain Hook »

Todd is correct.....BUT you likely need to guess on someone

Eric Chavez hit well enough in spring training to allow the drop on Cust...and that means he can't hurt himself in the field...plus qualifies at 3B/CI.......I wouldnt want him as my primary 3B but in a DEEP league you could do worse at CI or UT/DH especially when you can get him cheap (unless he has a great game or two before your auction)......just remember he IS Eric Chavez and will be hurt at some point

Jake Fox didn't have a great spring but worked his tail off and WILL get enough appearances at Catcher to be very playable as a C2 in deeper leagues - even mixed leagues....BUT we have no idea how long it will take for that to happen....still a guy I want on the bench....see the article linked below

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-2733 ... Oakland-As

lawr
Major League All-Star

#4 Post by lawr »

well said perry. that is exactly it, indeed.

i am not sure how durable chavez will prove to be, and it is said he is in his best shape since 2005. which might not be saying much.

I expect Cust to be nabbed shortly, though has agreed to the demotion. pesonally, i was surprised when oakland re-signed him. he does have pop, but that is the only contribution to a team rooted in patience, and now defense. still, as a DH only, or platoon DH he could do some damage.