Buster Posey

General player discussion. It is encouraged but not necessary to note the name of player and the date of the news in the subject.
Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

Buster Posey

#1 Post by Black Sox »

Just wondering if anyone has heard any news on him and if he's sticking with the big club and how much playing time to expect. I heard Buster Olney talking and he said the Giants are so impressed with his bat, that they are thinking of turing him into a hybrid player. He would be the teams back up catcher and also spend time at 1B, maybe even 2B to get his bat in the line up. It was Buster's opinion that since the Giant's will struggle to score runs, that they will find it harder and harder to keep him out of the everyday lineup. Since I have to start 2 catchers and I normally draft C in the reserves this info if confimed would be huge!
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

ravenmad

Re: Buster Posey

#2 Post by ravenmad »

As a Giants fan, my feeling is they will start him at AAA, but an injury or lack of production somewhere will cause them to call him up before June where he will be a super utility guy (1B, 3B, C or wherever else he can play) until they finally decide they need his stick in the lineup and make Molina someone's personal catcher. Posey is definitely going to be a C in the middle term, so I doubt he'll be a full-time 1B in the majors. But Bengie is such a liability on the base baths and in the OBP dept that Posey could surpass him this season.

lawr
Major League All-Star

#3 Post by lawr »

i will be at the yard tonight and will try to find something more definitive.

but, my understanding is the giants resigned bengie to mentor buster. i would expect buster to spell bengie over the season, sticking with the club, and getting increased playing time over the year so by next season he is the main cog.

lawr
Major League All-Star

#4 Post by lawr »

in the booth yesterday it was noted that Sabean wants buster to play every day, and does not feel he is ready. so, it seems he will start the season in fresno and that whiteside will make the opening day roster.

similarly, jake fox will indeed be the #2 catcher in oakland.

Todd Zola
Hall of Famer

#5 Post by Todd Zola »

i know we are sort of mixing topics here, but I am finding it curious that everyone is so giddy over Fox getting catcher eligibility when it severely reduces his playing time.

I suppose best case scenario is he gets in 5 games soon, there is an injury so Powell is called up and Fox plays more elsewhere, but short of that, the level of giddiness far exceeds how "great" a catcher he is with 1 game every other week.
Catchers are like prostate exams -- comes a time where you can't put if off any longer, so you may as well get it over with and take it up the butt - The Forum Funklord

I'd rather be wrong for the right reasons than right for the wrong reasons - The Forum Funklord

Always remember, never forget, never say always or never. - The Forum Funklord

You know you have to seek therapy when you see one of your pitchers had a bad night and it takes you 15 minutes to find the team you have him on. - The Forum Funklord

lawr
Major League All-Star

#6 Post by lawr »

right z.

i keep seeing fox owning first until carter comes up anyway. i think people see him as pablo light.