"Over Paying" for STUDS?

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
Tig

"Over Paying" for STUDS?

#1 Post by Tig »

12 team $260 cap 28 man rosters 7x7 (standard 5x5 with "trebles - doubles+triples, and OPS for hitters, K/9 and QS+CG+ShO for pitchers).

All my cheapers are $0, so I have my whole $260 budget to fill 20 slots, rather than 28.

How much over "budget/value" would you be willing to pay for the STUDS available at auction?

here are the studs available and what projections show their "max bid/value" to be (note; Pujols was kept for $53; CC was kept for $33)

Hanley $42, Braun $41, Prince $34, Kemp $33, Howard $33, Miggy $32, Utley $30, Wright $30, Holliday $25, Werth $25

Lincecum $32, Haren $28, Greinke $24, Vazquez $21, Johan $20, Hamels $19

** Players can be kept for 3 years.
** I have "topper" rights on Braun, Fielder, and Kemp, so while I wont bid on them, I have the right to match the winning bid...

Thanks

daweasle
Major League Veteran

Re: "Over Paying" for STUDS?

#2 Post by daweasle »

I had my auction last week with 16 team mixed keeper league and most of those studs you have there went for a little over twice the price you have listed.

daweasle
Major League Veteran

#3 Post by daweasle »

actually the studs hitters went for about 2.25 times the prices you have listed and the pitchers went for about 1.6 times the price you have listed

but my inflation was different......we can keep guys at certain values but no one has a joey votto for $0 or similar to that. my best keeper was vmart at $18 but others had better keepers than me - (zobrist for $2)

Hambowen

#4 Post by Hambowen »

You really need to run the inflation for your league. Once you figure out how much more money is available then the value of the talent I would then put all those inflation $'s towards the top 10-15% of players in the league. The extra inflation $'s almost always go towards buying the top talent in keeper leagues. Then just percent out those extra $'s across players based on their value. aka $42 guy gets more of those $'s then a $25 guy. Pretty simple formulas but makes a lot of difference.

I am in a league that auction is today. We keep 13 guys and the far and away best player is pujols. he is $46 normal value and next closest guy available is $22. I have Pujols inflation price at $74 because of this. That would be completely insane in most keeper leagues which is why running this stuff for your leagues is so important. We will see how it comes out today but at $60 a lot of people will think that is nuts that did not run inflation correctly. I will think someone got a bargain.

lawr
Major League All-Star

#5 Post by lawr »

i would simply add roughly $5 to the top value of each, and give yourself a variance of a buck or two to close the deal to get the guys you want. I would tend to focus a little more on scarcity than the outfield and first, as those are deep and your league pretty shallow.

there will be plenty of good starters left over--by my reckoning enough to field a competitive 13th team, so the bargains will surely be there at the end of the draft.

do try to hold some bucks out so you can control the board at the end, btw.

#6 Post by Guest »

One thing I have started doing with my values is basically the following:

Split my positive pool up into 20% total "value" sections (note, not each one having 20% of the players, but 20% of the cumulative value - for example if the pool had $1000 in total offensive value, split it into 200 sets), and inflate the top 20%, second 10%, leave the third one alone, fourth down 10%, fifth down 20%. I have found this to be a helpful way to think about the bid prices anyways. Not perfect but a little closer to auction behavior.

mjlewis
Major League Veteran

#7 Post by mjlewis »

daweasle wrote:actually the studs hitters went for about 2.25 times the prices you have listed and the pitchers went for about 1.6 times the price you have listed

but my inflation was different......we can keep guys at certain values but no one has a joey votto for $0 or similar to that. my best keeper was vmart at $18 but others had better keepers than me - (zobrist for $2)
wait, seriously, you have less inflation than that guy's league (which I assume should be tremendous) and you had Hanley going for $90, Utley and Lincecum for $70, etc?