Advise on 2B and 3B options

Get advice specific to your team. This can be opinions on trades, free agent or waiver pickups, who to start or even just "rate my team". It is helpful if you provide sufficient details regarding your league format and team composition.
brooklyn49
Major League Veteran

Advise on 2B and 3B options

#1 Post by brooklyn49 »

12 team, mixed league roto scoring. 9 hitting categories: HR, SB, RBI, R, BB, Hits, BA, OPS, Total Bases.

I want to draft a 2B and 3B on my back to back 2nd and 3rd round choices to go along with Hanley Ramirez. Because of all the hitting categories, my valuation suggests:

Pedroia, then Zobrist, then Phillips at 2B
Sandoval, then Youklis the Zimmerman at 3B.

Anyone see a missed opportunity going Ramirez, Sandoval and Pedroia in the first 3 rounds?
13 Team, Mixed, Rotisserie League with Daily Transactions
525 IP Limit; 60 Games per position
Hitting: Runs, HR, RBI, SB, BA, Hits, BB, Total Bases, OPS
Pitching: W, SV, ERA, WHIP, K's, HR Allowed, Holds, K/BB, QS

Hitting:
C: O. Narváez 1B: P. Goldschmidt 2B: C. Biggio 3B: M. Muncy SS: M. Semien MI: C. Hernández CI: C. Santana OF: M. Conforto, B. Harper, A. McCutchen, T. Edman Utility: N. Cruz
Pitching:
SP: M. Minor, K. Maeda, C. Martínez, N. Pearson, J. Montgomery, C. Bassitt
CL: H. Neris, N. Burdi, A. Bass
SU: P. Báez, Y. Petit, B. Treinen

Bench: E. Thames, N. Solak, T. Grisham, J. Berti
DL: J. Verlander, S. Oberg

daweasle
Major League Veteran

Re: Advise on 2B and 3B options

#2 Post by daweasle »

lots of people will disagree with me on this but I think when you're dealing with a second/third round early pick you should be getting solid performance with few question marks.

In this case I will site that :arrow: if you feel compelled to take a 3B at third round :arrow: - you must get youkilis instead of sandoval.
reasoning
youkilis - we know what he is - we've seen him do his thing several years in a row.
Pablo - we have one year to base our opinion on

sandoval is in a struggling offense in a big ball park. Youk plays with the 2nd most powerful offense in sports.
I'm sorry to say this but sandoval is a big ole boy. I would love to get him as a value pick - but if I am using a third round pick - I want someone skinnier and less likely to get hurt.

As always - the best advice is to walk into the draft with a plan - but be ready to veer away if needed - I'm sure there will be someone staring you in the face at 3.2 or 3.3 and you will not be able to pass them up (I'm thinking sizemore/holiday/upton/ellsbury) similar
and you can wait to get whatever is left of the third tier of third basemen in your 4th or 5th round pick. (betweeen youk sandoval mark reynolds zimmerman)

And with all that being said - my easiest answer is NO - don't go in planning to take a third baseman with your third pick. Wait till your third pick gets there and take the best available player and odds are you'll see it's not a third baseman.