7 Team AL ONLY

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
Black Sox
Major League All-Star
Preferred Style: 5x5 Mix

7 Team AL ONLY

#1 Post by Black Sox »

I've got the 5th pick in my AL only draft. Where should I focus early in the draft? Would you take Mauer or Kinsler if avaiable? Since there are less teams how would your strategy change? Should I focus on position scarcity early in the draft. I'm assuming the first 4 are A Rod Longoria
Tex and Cabrera, if that's the case who should I go with? If one of those 4 are there, take one of them, or go another direction? In a 10 team league Ellsburry was the top ranked player, with less teams he drops even in value with crawford/Sizemore/Lind/A.Jones using the calculator does this sound right? Any advice would be appreciated, like always I spend most time preparing for mix leagues and cram for this long running league at the last minute. 8-)
Boston Black Sox
Steve Le Blanc

Trav The Ump

Re: 7 Team AL ONLY

#2 Post by Trav The Ump »

I'd be more inclined to grab Crawford or Sabathia in that spot. Mauer will not play 162 games and by taking him you are already putting yourself behind the 8 ball in hitting as it will be another 4 picks til you could go again. Kinsler is an okay option but I wouldn't be deflated with Pedroia, Hill, Kendrick or any other number of guys who are going to go a lot later.