Auction Budget Strategy II

Theories, Concepts and Analytical Discussion (draft strategies, valuation, inflation, scarcity, etc.)
Macca11
Major League Regular
Preferred Style: Mixed 5x5 redraft.

Auction Budget Strategy II

#1 Post by Macca11 »

Very interesting thread started by cubswin on his $270 12-team mixed auction.
I'm thinking I should follow suit somewhat in my own draft, which is slightly different.
It's 14-team 5x5 Mixed.
Auction for the first 15 rounds ($5 minimum for the first five rounds, $1 for the next 10), budget $250, then snake draft for the next 14 rounds - or more for those who run out of money.
I'm in the 6 slot for nominating/drafting.
Positions: 2 Catchers, 1b, 2b, 3b, SS, CI, 2 MI spots, 2 UT. 3 bench 1 DL.
5 SP 4 RP plus 2P.

Thanks to daweasle have an idea about the value of players, but tactics-wise, I'm intrigued by the 2b SS 3b emphasis. I guess this would be even more true under these draft rules?
And stud pitching would then appear to be at a premium too?
Until I read all this I was inclined to try to spread the risk.
I'm thinking 165 on hitting, 70 on pitching, with 15 kept for the last 5 rounds.
Already seen some great ideas thanks to the boards, and as I've never done an auction before any extra advice is more than welcome.
14-team mixed 5x5 redraft auction league.
Hitters: C1 Y Molina C2 J Montero 1b A Pujols 2b D Espinosa SS A Ramirez MI1 O Infante MI2 Daniel Murphy 3b J Bautista CI C Headley UT1 J Mayberry Jr UT2 C Gentry OF1 M Cuddyer OF2 C Quentin OF3 D Viciedo OF4 R Davis OF5 G Blanco.

Pitchers:
SP1 J Weaver SP2 CJ Wilson SP3 J Cueto SP4 B Beachy P1 D Hudson P2 E Frieri RP1 M Adams RP2 S Casilla RP3 A Chapman RP4 J Broxton.
Bench: G Richards (P), I Nova (P), D Gee (P), B Roberts (2b).

rotodog

Re: Auction Budget Strategy II

#2 Post by rotodog »

One question;

Do you have access to what players will go for on draft day? What will Top Bats cost on draft day? Braun/hanley/Kemp etc...?
Top pitchers?

And does your league use that budget to buy closers or is there any chance that even low tier closers are available in the Draft?

Macca11
Major League Regular
Preferred Style: Mixed 5x5 redraft.

#3 Post by Macca11 »

If only I knew! As nearly all of us are buying players for the first time (most of us do that in soccer fantasy leagues, but the rules are simpler and it's pretty much ALWAYS stars and scrubs there).
I am absolutely sure there will be no closers left come snake draft time, as there is a premium on closers and always an incessant chase for saves in our league during the season.
As for the top bats, Albert will probably set the ceiling. I'm thinking on the brink of $60.
14-team mixed 5x5 redraft auction league.
Hitters: C1 Y Molina C2 J Montero 1b A Pujols 2b D Espinosa SS A Ramirez MI1 O Infante MI2 Daniel Murphy 3b J Bautista CI C Headley UT1 J Mayberry Jr UT2 C Gentry OF1 M Cuddyer OF2 C Quentin OF3 D Viciedo OF4 R Davis OF5 G Blanco.

Pitchers:
SP1 J Weaver SP2 CJ Wilson SP3 J Cueto SP4 B Beachy P1 D Hudson P2 E Frieri RP1 M Adams RP2 S Casilla RP3 A Chapman RP4 J Broxton.
Bench: G Richards (P), I Nova (P), D Gee (P), B Roberts (2b).

daweasle
Major League Veteran

#4 Post by daweasle »

definitely need to take those 4 Middle infielders into account. add 12-15% to your current budget - especially to shortstops as 2B is a little deeper (maybe add 15% to SS and 13% to 2B)

daweasle
Major League Veteran

#5 Post by daweasle »

someone will probably push pujols and hanley ramirez over around 75-80 dollars (maybe more)

but you can laugh all the way to the bank knowing they just spent 25-30% of their budget on one player